Took My First Dose of Elavil

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Feb 15, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I took my first dose of amitriptiline (generic for Elavil) last night and will take my second tonight, but I'm not sure what to expect. My doctor wants me to take 10 mg at bedtime to help with pain and to help me sleep. I don't think it made any difference last night, but I'm not sure. How long does it take to see a result from taking low doses of Elavil?

--Laura R.M.
  2. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

I was on elavil for about 9 months, and it helped me a lot. A nero prescribed it for migraines I was having back in 1998. But then I became diabetic in 1999 and had to stop. But the elavil seem to work pretty fast for me. cant remember which dosage i was on. You can look this med up and find out about it. I wouldnt normally suggest this but.....(because, personally i dont want to know) but read the side effects, if I remember correctly, it can induce the onset of diabetes??? or something like that. I dont mean to scare you cuz it is a good med, but if diabetes runs in your family just becareful. Let me know how it goes ;-)

Melanie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It can leave one feeling a little groggy in the morning. That is supposed to go away with use. It can also leave one with "the muchies." Watch what you are eating as it can cause rapid weight gain. Docs almost never tell their patients this.

Elavil has worked well for many here. For me, it didn't give me quality sleep. I awoke feeling hung over and fatigued, even after sleeping 8-10 hours. I now take Klonopin which works much better for me.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thank you for the warning! My mother, my biological father and *his* mother all had adult-onset diabetes! This isn't something I ever mentioned to the doctor who prescribed the Elavil, but I sure will call him about it now!

--Laura R.M.
  5. Dara

Dara New Member

for probably close to six months and it was considered a low dose. I didn't notice any difference as far as helping with pain or sleep. But, I definitely was extremely tired all day even causing me to fall alseep at work. I would be on the phone talking to someone and then wake up, still on the phone, had no idea what the conversation was about. The doctor took me off of that and put me on Paxil, also that didn't work. Now I'm on Effexor and that seems to be OK.

Dara
  6. JP

JP New Member

Elavil is a good medicine for me. I started with 25 (too much) and then down to 10 mg. I am now up to 50 mgs at night. I noticed a difference almost right away. One morning I would wake with numbness from my hips on down, the next morning, I had feeling again, due to the Elavil. It was a pretty powerful experience. It has probably been one of the better medicines for me for nerve pain and insomnia. I still struggle with sleep most nights and my sleep is better by a long stretch.

Hope you get positive results. I have not gained weight or had any blood sugar problems with this medicine.

Take care,
    Jan
  7. MelanieThebirdlover

MelanieThebirdlover New Member

Hi Laura, please let me know what your doc say's. Im not certain if the elavil had anything to do with my getting diabetes or not, but I did read that it can contribute, so just becareful. I know others are saying their taking elavil and have diabetes to, but for me I couldnt, there was other factors involved. Either way I hope you can acheive the relief you need ;-}

Melanie