took STD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I called my chiropractor late Sunday afternoon.
    Rhuematologist has had me hanging for 2 months, since the first waiting for blood results, then after the blood results wanting a psych consult which still isn't scheduled.
    Still waiting for bone scan results...everyone is waiting and I'm sick and exhausted.
    When I asked my family doc to support me in taking STD, he said he would put down depression as the reason. I said that would cause me tremendous problems because of where and who I work for, please write medical reasons, there are plenty and if you have to list depression, make it secondary. He didnt feel he could do that. All weekend I thought how my boss, who pries for details but does nothing with the info except gossip, would be on the phone with this bit of news making an already difficult job become impossible. The impact long term on my work as well as medical disability appeared to me to be devastating. I explained the work consequences to my doctor, but he response was 'there's no shame in being depressed...' obviously out of touch with reality and how employers regard employees with mental health issues.
    What people say, what the law requires and what really happens are totally different.
    While I will actually be treating depression as well as the medical aspects of FM, that's my business, not my supervisor or my employer. I have to wonder why a doctor who says he is supporting me and sees me moving forward working on these things while trying to keep my job would undermine me, even after I explained the difficulties he would put me in by stating I have to be out because of depression rather than FM or IBS or all the other stuff I've been hosptilized for.
    If I was to lose my job all he would do is tell me its discrimination, go get a lawyer...
    Chiro is the only one who knows A-Z what I've been thru during the last 15 months. I asked him last night if he would fill out my disability forms. He said, Sure! come see me in the morning, no problem.
    No games, no agenda, no 'I want a consult', just wrote down all the degenerative disc, myofacial pain issues and faxed it all in. Gave me a hug and said Go take a walk, its a beautiful day outside...
    3 months of peace and some time to heal.
  2. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

sorry you had to make this tough decision, but i'm happy for you that you can now take a much needed break. thank God your chiro is a gem, that other guy-----well----
    relax a little now, and begin to heal-best wishes--L
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I can't explain how terrified and humiliated I felt being at the mercy of a young male doctor(this is a public board so I cant be more specific on gender issues) who just smiled at me while he told me he felt that depression was his absolute preference to cite...how do you sabotage a patient like that and then expect a patient to trust and work with you? I guess the whole point is this is a way to get rid of a patient.

The hosptial where my doctors are, assign doctors to you, when I asked for a female doctor, they said, HE is your doctor.

4. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

sad for all the trouble you had to go through!

In the process of my four-year quest for diagnoses, I was referred to an endocrinologist, who did every test in the book. When he didn't find anything wrong, he wanted to put me on anti-depressants. I couldn't fathom why a doctor would want to put me on a drug for something I felt I didn't have! I was upset at his attitude; kind of like he was throwing his hands up and giving up, and putting the bothersome patient on a pill to make her go away.

(Little did I know that's what I'd be taking a year later, after the diagnoses.) (BTW, the anti-depressants don't help me at all for the pain, but they do help with sleep issues.)

To be totally fair, he was doing all he knew how to do. Doc's just don't know what to do with FMS/CFS patients sometimes it seems to me. Many do not know a thing about it, and think it's just all in our heads. I'm not saying anything you don't already know, though!

I "went around Robin Hood's barn" just to say I can empathize a little with you! I am so glad for your chiropractor!

God bless all,

Debbie

5. jmq

jmq New Member

You poor thing. I can not believe how long you have been pushing and pushing to get some relief. I am disappointed this new doctor did that to you with the depression issue. They could have listed it as secondary. Thank God you chiro. came to the rescue. Now you can at least have some time to rest. Be prepared to sleep. I think I slept all day for a week ( not a night of course ) the first week of my leave. You just finally allow yourself to collapse.

I am happy you took that step for yourself.
    jmq
  6. Engel

Engel New Member

Sorry you had to throw in the towell so to speak but I got to that point too hun. I have been off work on STD 3 months. I have since found out more afflictions (DDD also) and I do not foresee a return to work in the near future. Financially it is killing me but I cannot bear the pain anymore. (((((((( good luck )))))))))
  7. Didoe

Didoe New Member

we're not supposed to insult anyone by answering specific people, so thank you everyone and JMQ and Engel for your kind replies.

Boss was already on the phone late this afternoon, left a message that she had been dividing up my projects (that was the intent all along) between staff and needed to discuss where I was on things.

Sleep for a week? I got a lot of work in front of me between doc appts. I'm dreaming of finding a job with less stress.

I'm seeking work that doesn't involve daily contact with humans...20 years of writing for and about primadonnas has fried me physically and mentally.

8. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Oh Didoe...isn't it wonderful to have someone that "hears" you. I am so happy for you...well you know, that you can focus on yourself and your health. I hope you took his advise and enjoyed the day...notice I didn't say walk because we all know that sometimes a walk just ins't on the agenda:)

Hugs,
    Deb