Tooth extraction cost? wow is this right?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tandy, May 1, 2007.

1. tandy

tandy New Member

Hey guys~
    Since my current dentist did such a horrible job
    pulling my last tooth,.. I'm shopping around for better dentist to pull a molar.
    I called one here in town that everyone says is
    EXCELLENT.
    It would be a cash visit for me so I was hoping to get a price break. NOPE.
    They want $240 to pull 1 molar!!!
    Is'nt that alot!!????

maybe it is'nt. Its been a long time since I had to pay out of pocket for dental work.
    ??? anyone know.
    Thanks
    Tandy
    wondering if I should call a few others for prices.?
  2. pat460

pat460 New Member

If you have an Affordable Dentures around, they charge $65 for x-rays, then the extraction is $65-$125 depending on how much trouble they have removing it. If you have recently had x-rays, take them with you and it will save some bucks. IMO $240 is highway robbery unless they are putting you to sleep and giving you champagne afterwards! lol!

Pat

3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

That's about normal for my area. I actually paid less for an oral surgeon to extract a molar than for a dentist.

Jan
  4. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

As you prob know by now, iam from australia and dental care here is for the wealthy basically, we have people waiting for dental care in the public system for around 7 years, very bad indeed! And also you cant pay it off be on a plan or anything and even if you a civer of sorts it only pays back round a third if luck half but that also depends who you have cover with. its a rip off cant see the justification in charging so muc its not good for our health and I think some where its also related to FM. My dentist tells me to have all my upper teeth ripped and than maybe my health may get better but thats 14 teeth OUCH!!!!!!
    WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE WITH fm HAVEprobs with their teeth also

love n light
    Connie
  5. mary124

mary124 New Member

Thats about right, but I know when i go to an Oral Surgeon, its a little more, as they usually give me something to relax, plus since I'm a "high risk patient" they have to give me some antibotics besides the ones that i take before hand; its about $370.00- of course, this is depending on the size of the tooth too.
  6. Engel

Engel New Member

$$$$ Highway robbery ... lol. This place was my original dentist though (whom I trusted) and she really gasssssed me up :) . I have found that you get what you pay for usually. I decided to pay for the quality.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

DH just had two wisdom teeth and one molar pulled for $110 each. Sounds like I should quit complaining about our prices here!

Hugzz
    Greenbean

Choose joy!
  8. crystal72

crystal72 New Member

I live in Sugar Land, TX (also known now as Yuppieville) and have lived here for over 25 years. The dentists now cater to the rich (of which I am not one) and because one dentist screwed up four teeth doing root canals (actually breaking one in the front)...total cost of the damage done over $2000...can't afford the crowns to cover the mess. Another dentist wants $10,000 to fix the whole mess. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone!!!

And I know my teeth are bound to be making me sicker, but that kind of money just ain't around.

Linda
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

too many names to remember,. so I got ya all covered
    :)
    hmmm,..ok. so maybe it is normal. I still think its a rip!! Its not like we're saving anything! its getting pulled out. Kinda like garbage removal!! LOL
    it should be cheap :)
    Gee Pat,... maybe I'll get some bubbly afterwards~
    Hugs to all,
    Tandy
  10. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Yes it does make your eye's spin or your head when you hear the price of an extraction. It is so spendy that you will gasp and say "HOW MUCH DID YOU SAY?"
    That is what my daughter said when she had to have her wisdom teeth removed.

First vist $150.00 for X-rays and exam took all of 15 minutes. To have the teeth extracted with IV sedatation { she had it done this way as her teeth were all full boney extractions and were hard to get out} was $2500.00 up front. She did n't have any insurance to help her with the expence.

I have checked around where I live and you will find that there are prices in all ranges. EVery where from $90.00 to $350.00 Depending on how hard the tooth is too pull. I know that when I had a tooth extracted it was about $125.00 but that was with nitrous and included the x-rays.
    So like I said it depends on where you live and what you are willing to pay .

Good luck and I hope that you find the right dentist.
    ~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  11. Engel

Engel New Member

but I would not trust just anyone. I probably could have found someone cheaper. Here in Ohio you can go to Ohio State University's Dental School which is much cheaper ... but I am not that brave ... lol. I am sure my day will come when I HAVE to go there (when the dental insurance is no more). I didn't feel comfortable with any one on the dental insurance plan at that time and had to pay out of pocket. This time I have to take my chances on someone on Dental Insurance's "list". I can't afford my "happy Dentist" anymore. I would keep checking or if you are brave and near a large college/university with a dental school you may want to try them?
  12. tandy

tandy New Member

Thanks Rosemarie and Engel. (hope thats right??)

Now I know why I've heard of people (usually drunk men!!LOL) pulling their own teeth!!
    I sware! this one guy that works with my common law hubby,... he had a bad toothache and one night while drinking,... he pulled it out!!
    Where do they get the courage!??
    I think I'd pass out!

night all,
    Tandy