Tooth Extraction Question - Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Mar 4, 2007.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I have a tooth that needs to come out (well I could have it fixed, but I don't have the $1800 - $2000 for that).

I have not had dental work since getting fibro and I was wondering if there is anything I should be aware of.

Also, the dentist I am seeing (she is great) does not have nitrous and I am more than nervous. Maybe I could take my ativan beforehand to help?

Any advice is appreciated.

Sue in Ontario

So I went today and the dentist decided that I could get away with a very large filling ($300 worth!), and a crown.

Wasn't too bad, I had no reaction to the freezing and managed to not run out of there screaming (thanks to my 1 mg lorazepam.

Thanks for your advice, I don't think I would have gone otherwise.

Sue in Ontario[This Message was Edited on 04/18/2007]
  2. app5775

app5775 New Member

Hi, I just had a molar pulled about 2 weeks ago. I'm much in the same boat as you. Mine had 2 crowns and a root canal in the past couple of years. It became very infected again and was making me quite sick along with my fibro symptons thats just miserable. I know an implant runs about $2000 so thats on hold for now. I'm going to check into a device called a flipper, for most this is covered by insurance if you have it. Its basically a small one tooth "fake denture" to hold the teeth from crowding, fill in the space and look like a tooth is there. Its relatively inexpensive. Its considered somewhat temporary until I decide to get an implant. I'm glad I had the tooth removed because it was nothing but a pain in the butt. Make sure you follow your doctors orders on antibiotics and rinsing your mouth after your extraction with salt water etc. to avoid any infections. You may have pain a little longer than others without fibro. They gave me gas and "put me out" for the procedure as it was cut out. I would find a periodontist or dentist to do the procedure in a way thats comfortable for you and as pain free as possible. I had started some other threads and others did also as well as of late regarding tooth issues. To read what others have to say about teeth procedures, go to search and type in tooth, extraction, implant etc. for more information. Hope this helps!
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Sue, I had a lot of dental work done a couple of years ago. Mostly I was OK after but there were times when I had pain or headaches. It doesn't sound as if this will be a long appt.for you but if it is, one thing that helped was to ask the dentist for a break and get up and walk around for a few minutes. I would also think that the Ativan before would help with possible muscle spasms. Don't schedule anything after. You will need to rest.

Good Luck
    Kathy
  4. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Having gone yet, still too nervous.

Bumping for more responses.

Sue
  5. BobinGermany

BobinGermany New Member

Just take your ativan before your appointment. The dentists now know well how to numb your mouth for extractions. I have had several pulled in the last 4 years with no problem at all. If you have a walkman or portable CD player take it with you with some soothing music. That helps my wife alot. NOTE: If you by chance smoke, don't smoke until the doctor says it's ok. I learned the hard way and smoked right after mine was pulled and paid dearly for doing it.

I will be praying that you are totally at ease and you go through this with no problems at all!

God Bless,
    Bob
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

Had an extraction a couple of years ago and it wasn't a big deal

Took about 20 minutes - quicker than getting a filling or a root canal

They like for you to take antibiotics afterwards (preventative) but I couldn't take them
  7. desertlass

desertlass New Member

And believe it or not, it all went fine. For this, I went to an oral surgeon, but I was still very nervous it would send me into a terrible flare. I think if you are not going to be put under, the ativan is a good idea; just make sure that you talk to them about it beforehand. And of course you'll need someone to drive you home.

I have a really severe case of CFS, and FM to a lesser degree, so I was pleasantly surprised. In my case, I think the fact that they used the IV form of Ativan to "knock me out" made the resulting pain so much less problematic, and kept my nervous system from getting hyper from pain and nervousness. I would just find out what is the safest dosage for you to take, because if you already take it regularly, it might take a bit more to make you groggy while you're in the chair. If you have someone drive you there, I would take it before you leave home so it has plenty of time to kick in.

I took my Ativan before having a couple small fillings very recently, and again, it kept me from flaring more than a day or two.

For anyone considering extractions, I learned from my osteopath that the device the dentist uses pulls the tooth down, but also twists it. This can cause some slight shifting in all the many bones that make up our face and skull and may cause headaches or face/jaw pain that is not necessarily coming from the extraction site. I did start having headaches toward the front of my head, which is rare for me, and she simply put gentle pressure on the roof of my mouth and so forth until she was satisfied that nothing was jammed up anymore.

I didn't realize before seeing an osteopath how important it is that our "head bones" are able to move a little, and if they can't we can't get muscle spasms and nerve irritation. I had previously thought of the adult skull as just one big "rock". Anyway, those headaches went away in a couple of days never to return, and with this dd, that is really something to be excited about. So, if any of you are ever able to visit a D.O. don't wait for dental work, and ask if they do cranial-sacral therapy. It's not a "cure all" for headaches, but I feel that it helps our whole system get balanced, overall. And it is painless and relaxing, which is also rare for us, too.

Good luck, Sue-- let us know what happens. I had heard so many horror stories, but I think if you are pre=emptive about pain and infection beforehand and getting immediate attention for anything that doesn't seem right afterward, this needen't cause a tailspin. Also, you're doing it in spring, which is good-- mine was in the winter, and I don't think the cold helped with anything. Just make a pleasant little "nest" with a good nutritive health drink to support your body, and probiotics to help offset any antibiotics, and also to give the immune system a boost. If you are able to tolerate yogurt, that might be a good double whammy, since you might not want solids the first day. Stay well hydrated before and after, because that will help with pain, healing, and helps any pain meds to work better.

Hope this helps calm any nerves for you or anyone else considering dental work. I know what a big deal it is for us. Pardon me if I am "gushing" advice. It's so rare for me to be able to report on something so positively. :)
    Lisette
  8. app5775

app5775 New Member

Hi Sue, I had placed an earlier answer. Its been over a month since my molar extraction and I'm very glad I got the tooth out. No problems. I may check on a device called a flipper which is cosmetic and will hold the space and sorta look like a real tooth until I decide if I can afford an implant. I don't think you'll regrett having it pulled. My dentist said mine was a mess and needed cut out. He said I made the right choice to have it removed. So after all the work I had done on it over the years, maybe I should of had it pulled a long time ago..It would have saved me money and grief. good luck!
  9. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

For all of the good advice and words of experience.

I feel much better about it now. So I guess I will keep the appointment I have on the 18th. I am fortunate that I can walk to the dentist and back from where I live.

I will ask about taking a little extra ativan before I go (I mean, I wouldn't want to get wobbly on the way home crossing the street!).

Thanks again for taking the time to write. It means a lot to me.

Sue in Ontario
  10. skikat

skikat New Member

i just had a wisdom tooth and an upper molar right next to it pulled a week ago. had another wisdom tooth pulled the week before. i had just a regular dentist. told him all the meds that i wa on and about the fibro. he called my md. and got the ok to do it. everything went geat. plus i am very pain sensitive and nervous. told him i was nervous. took all my meds about 15 minutes early for pain and went in. i now have another appt for some more work to be done and i am not afraid. hope this helps......ski
  11. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

My appointment is on the 18th, and I am going this time!

Sue in Ontario