Tooth implants

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hurtsalot 2, Mar 23, 2011.

1. hurtsalot 2

hurtsalot 2 New Member

I would like to know if anyone has had teeth implants who suffers from fibromyalgia. I am considering getting some but afraid that the pain may be intense. I get a lot of headaches wearing my bridges and would like to get implants but just a little afraid of the pain it may involve. I have many issues including fibromyalgia and don't need any added stress. All answers will be very appreciated. Thanks hurtsalot2 ( Jen )
  2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I am also wondering about implants. I've had one tooth extraced on the lower right and now I am facing another extraction of the tooth next to where it was. I'll have little to chew with on the right side.

I read online about the metal rods they insert in your gums and am afraid I'll have an allergic reaction to them. I've had reactions to some metals as well as Many other things. Major MCS problems.

I have fibro and CFS as well and don't want any additional pain. I know what you're feeling trying to make these decisions. I guess it's just going to be what I'm willing to take a chance on and if the possible outcome is worth the risk. Right now, I'm thinking it's not, but that may change after I lose that tooth. It's not an easy decision and doctors are clueless about most of these issues. Let me know what you decide. GB66
  3. debilyn

debilyn New Member

Hi all,

I have FM, and I am currently going through the tooth implant process. So far everything is fine. I am going extra slowly, though. I started in June 2010 by having the old root removed and a bone graft (it was virtually painless); in November I had the post inserted. My dentist closed the gum over the post, so I can't even feel it. Next week on the 29th, I go back to start the crown process.

I was very worried that my body would reject the bone graft and/or the post, but I haven't had any problems so far. I did take a xanax and muscle relaxer prior to the bone graft and the post insertion appointments. I did not experience any more pain than having a cavity filled.

That's been my experience so far. Good luck and blessings to you.

~debilyn

4. DoveL

DoveL Member

WOW, I was just going to post this topic. I was thinking of getting a dental implant for a missing molar,BUT after researching have doubts. I have been reading that people with autoimmune disease or lowered immunity should not get them. I have also read that your body could reject them, or cause an autoimmune reaction.

It makes sense to me, ESP. We are sensitive to chemicals. Also what if our bodies attack the titanium and try to get rid of it. After all, when we have a splinter our bodies try to get rid of it.
    Sounds risky to me, being so sensitive. but on the other hand I am sure some peoples body will accept the implant Do your research. there are message boards with people who got sick from these implants. Go to Dr.Mercolas website,he has articles there

There are some modern dentures/appliances out there if you have a few missing teeth.

Good health to you!
    DoveL
  5. donnaba

donnaba New Member

I just started with a biological dentist and also have MCS. She is having me do a melisa test, which is a blood test that detects which metals you're sensitive to. Good info to have before any more work is done for me. The test goes thru medical, not dental, insurance.

donnaba
  6. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

I have had four dental implants (all molars) over the years. The first two were done by a reputable oral surgeon with the implant crowns done by my dentist. One of them was the very back molar and I needed to have a bone graft to supplement the bone needed to place the implant post (a sinus lift). It was done under general anesthesia and was not very painful afterwards. The only problem I had with those implants is that they left dental cement under the gum when placing the crown and it manifested itself in a way that made me think I had nerve problems in my face. Once the cement was removed, I was ok.

I made a big mistake the second time around for implants. I listened to a new dentist who told me that I needed three teeth removed (I really don't believe I did) but it was a place where they do dental implants like an assembly line. They had the best prices around. I had two implants there and the whole procedure involved in placing the posts (and afterwards) was a nightmare. I let them pull three teeth and had two posts placed immediately. They had me there for 12 hours under oral sedation so I don't remember a lot of the day. Afterwards, I developed two dry sockets which was very painful. They didn't even diagnose them when I made a long drive for a followup. To make a long story short, I ended up suing that dentist and received a refund for the complete amount that I had paid in advance.

I went to a good oral surgeon to finish up the implant process and had the crowns made by a dentist who specializes in crowns, etc. I am very happy with my permanent new teeth. I have not had any problems with them. I sometimes don't even remember which teeth are implants.

I have had a diagnosis of fibro and other painful problems for twenty years so am very aware of degrees of pain. The discomfort I went through was worth it for me. My teeth are my only real vanity and though I am in my 60s I want to keep my "own" teeth if at all possible.
  7. destinygsmom

destinygsmom New Member

This isn't a joke, I had pain so severe in my abdomen & on my face from having cavities that I couldn't get filled; I found these patches that you just peel, & stick over where the pain is! They are miracle workers as far as I'm concerned!

They're Walmarts, SALONPAS; 40 patches for $4, peel & stick over the area of the pain in your mouth but put upon your cheek or jaw, not inside your mouth! Works great...

I'm new,

read my posts; destinygsmom
  8. inprog

inprog Member

I hope you have found some support. I got CFS at the age of 38. It changed my life from what I knew before. Maybe start a thread just for you. The board is working better now so we can find our threads we posted on. We have a good chit-chat group too. Nice to start a post over there too, maybe.

I have used tuning forks for pain. Otto 128 is the frequency. Also have had good luck with magnets. I am not sure how well magnets would work on the jaw if you had any fillings or crowns.

I know someone who had implants and had to have a bone graft first. I think men have better jaws for implants because bone loss is not so prevalent to show up there in them. I hope I never have to have one and I am chemically sensitive too and would have to make sure they did not use the wrong glues so the doctors would have to be willing to change their materials based on my Clifford Compatibility test results if needed. A very good thread here with lots of information in case we ever have to do it. Thanks to everyone.
    inprog
    [This Message was Edited on 12/18/2011]
  9. lucky

lucky New Member

Hello, I had two implants without any trouble at all, no pain nothing, what a difference it makes, and I have had them over 2 yrs. now and they feel like your own teeth.
    Best regards,
    Lucky
  10. simpsons

simpsons Member

very interesting reply there could you provide links to the threads of people who got ill from dental implants

its always v interesting to me to see what metals etc can do to the immune system

thank you
  11. simpsons

simpsons Member

i was talking to someone who had implants and had a bad reaction has had ME (cfs) ever since. also found them painful with nerve damage. i think there are ceramic ones now but they had titanium ones and i belive that the problem was the titanium used along with the bone not being their own bone

so prob safe to look for hollistic dentist and look at ceramic ones.

so do be careful and consider the post that warns you that there are many threads online from people who became ill after implants
  12. simpsons

simpsons Member

i was talking to someone who had implants and had a bad reaction has had ME (cfs) ever since. also found them painful with nerve damage. i think there are ceramic ones now but they had titanium ones and i belive that the problem was the titanium used along with the bone not being their own bone

so prob safe to look for hollistic dentist and look at ceramic ones.

so do be careful and consider the post that warns you that there are many threads online from people who became ill after implants

the body can reject implants and metals and slowly cause illness or suddenly too
  13. ruti

ruti Member

I just completed the transplent - everything went fine. I started with bad infection under the tooth and a crack in the tooth root so I had to have the tooth out.
    My surgeon first implentent bones to fill the hole. She used a bone from a "bones bank" - it comes as small pieces that are pressed - I had to wait and it is fine - the bony grow tissue around it and the area is strong - Then the implent under gums and coverded (stiches) after a few months she revealed it (I was lucky enough for it to be revewaled without a surgical procedure) by brushing my teeth hard at the area with gel against bacteria and it was revealed by itself - I still need to do the crown.
    Everything went well. No much pain.
    The hardest thing was getting antibiotics - including Flagil (metronidazol) which is very hard for me.

Good luck
    Ruti
  14. simpsons

simpsons Member

can you tell us more about this please i have heard of bovine bone graph but this is new to me

15. ruti

ruti Member

This is human bone from a bone bank - they are treated so it is safe. The body does not reject it as a foriegn part and builds new tissue around it so it is regenarated.
    In my case there was a big hole - you need to have a strong bone to put the implent to hold the new tooth.
    The procedure is not painful - they fill the area with small pieces and press a little. Then stich the area and wait a few months with mouth wash and gel to prevent infection.
    At my case there was a previous step of healing from the infection with antibiotics.

Anyway - the area now is great - very strong and wide and she was able to put the implent well. The implent itself I think is made of titanium which is a metal the body does not
    reject.
    The only part that was dangerous for me was the initial infection - with a low imune system and worry about taking antibiotic this was the time of worry - everything else went uneventful for me. It takes a long time and the whole process with the crown can take 10 months.
    The bone transplent is a great thing and is not dangerous.
    Ruti
  16. simpsons

simpsons Member

it is not true that the body does not reject titanium the body can reject it and can react to it. who knows what the risks are as many reactions in healthy people may develop over time and not be put down to the implants.

remember they tell us that vaccinations are safe and forget to tell us the figures for those who have bad reactions. always question the medics who are in it for profit. its not in their interest to tell you the risks.

thats interesting re human bone bank, still i think that bone from your own body would be safer

i advise anyone to exercise extreme caution as pointed out above in one post that there are many who have suffered bad health since surgery of this type

i m glad things went well for you though

17. ruti

ruti Member

We can only make decisions with the information we have at the time and wave the risks and benefits.

I had no choice but to take the tooth out. I was worried about the infection and my low immune system. The options then are - leave a big hole in my gums (which is dangerous and can not let you eat - it is not an option.
    I was explained and got materials to read about the bone implent and how well does it go to people and apparentely it is very safe and successful. The body does not reject it ) To take my own bone? where from? No body even mentioned that idea. And that involves new risks of more infection and need for heeling in another part.
    Then the options are - an implent or a bridge that is made over the 2 teeth that are close to that tooth. The dentist warned me against doing a brige since it ruiened the other teeth and is not so successful in a long run and both he and the surgent talked about the very high percenrtages of success with the implent which gives a strong base.
    The surgent was very careful - giving me 2 kinds of antibiotics (arobic and anarobic), mouth wash and gel.
    After each step she waited a few weeks to see if everything looks good. She said that in aboput 2 % of the cases there is some problems and then she does it again on her expense and it resolves.
    Titanium is one of the safest metal. I have no inflamation in the gums and it looks well. This doctor documented
    in research all her patients from the begining of her career - hundreds of patients with very little problems.

The surgent did tell me to continue to brush teeth with the gel for the rest of my life since the area is more senseitive and the blood flow to the area is not the same as with live tooth. (Maybe the yoga positions of standing on the head and lying on sholders feet up will help with the blood flow to the gums)

I feel I made the right decison and very pleased everything went eventless.
    Ruti

18. simpsons

simpsons Member

i m glad it went well for you.

however for others i have had to post that it can go wrong and that others have been made ill.

titanium can cause reaction, although it is mostly well tolerated. fillings everyone is getting removed now were thought to be safe years ago.

science can change. for example hiv was thought to be very very low risk from oral sex. however now it is not thought to be as low as they thought.

sometimes now they use bone marrow which can be taken with a needle and less invasive.

i don t know your health status but i have to say that it should be a careful consideration for pwme.

glad you are ok
  19. simpsons

simpsons Member

i m glad it went well for you.

however for others i have had to post that it can go wrong and that others have been made ill.

titanium can cause reaction, although it is mostly well tolerated. fillings everyone is getting removed now were thought to be safe years ago.

science can change. for example hiv was thought to be very very low risk from oral sex. however now it is not thought to be as low as they thought.

sometimes now they use bone marrow which can be taken with a needle and less invasive.

i don t know your health status but i have to say that it should be a careful consideration for pwme.

glad you are ok
  20. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

My holistic chiropractor tol me--people come to him from far and wide with full body pain that no one knows where it is coming from--much of the time he find it is coming from their teeth--such as deep cavitations and the like.....there is much informatin about this on the curezone.keep in mind these are big money makes and i am running into dentists that are just in to pushing any work they can on you--this is my opinion--especially in this economy. I had a porcelin onlay put a a slightly chipped tooth---i let the dentist talk me into this---i had terrible fibro fog at the time, was feelling vunerable and confused and her and her staff were encircled me and were like the mafia--insisting i follow their advice--against my own judgement. i let her put this thing on my tooth--had to finance it--and to make a long story short--i have a constant pain and pressure in that tooth. the new dentist i went to--said it was unecessary and is placed in my mouth wrong!!!!now i live with more pain.....i filled out a complaint against this dentist--but of course they sided with her---they have to practically mengle your whole mouth for anything to be done......be careful...oh and she also insisted i have an implant put in because my tooth was about to fall out at any minute---of course its 5 years later--i still have my tooth----and she was wrong.....money hungry dentist!