topamax for headaches

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaime13, Dec 7, 2006.

1. jaime13

jaime13 New Member

Does topamax really work for daily headaches mine are getting so bad I'm ready to jump out of my skin. I wrote before any other suggestions
  2. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I tried Topomax for awhile(2 months), but did not have any luck. Alot of people take it with success. Laura
  3. GARY700

GARY700 New Member

I'VE BEEN ON TOPAMAX FOR SEVERAL MONTHS AND IT HAS HELPED ABOUT 70% OF THE HEADACHES, AND WHEN I DO HAVE ONE IT'S NOT AS BAD. I SAY TRY IT WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO LOSE..... A HEADACHE! LOL GARY
  4. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I've been taking Topamax for at least 9 months and I haven't had a true, knock me out migraine since. So, it has definitely helped me quite a bit.

I still get headaches though, and I get them a lot. But, they are muscle tension headaches usually. My neck, jaw & shoulders are just knots on top of knots & more knots, and full of trigger points, so I am going to have headaches.

I think it depends on what kinds of headaches you have. From what I understand, Topamax is for migraine prevention. You should definitely ask your doctor though - anything is worth a shot if you're in that much agony!

Have you tried anything else? What kind of headaches are they? I've had quite a few, maybe I can give you some tips if you can tell me where in your head it hurts, or if you know why your head is hurting. Let me know & I'll see if I have any experience to share - unfortunately I've had an awful lot of headaches.

Take care,
    Leanne
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

it has eliminated a friend's headaches. So, I guess it just depends on the person and on the type headaches.

Effexor eliminated my migraines as did other AD's for a while. Now that I am through menopause and not taking HRT, I don't have headaches which I had all my life. One benefit of getting older.

So, the side effects of Topomax made me so sick that I didn't want to take it anymore and it didn't stop my headaches. But, many, many have used it to great benefit.

I hope that you will find the correct combination. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try it...what's to lose? It's not something I had to wean off, either. It just didn't work and the doc and I stopped it cold.

I know about headaches...endured migraines all my life until a couple years ago. Please know I'm thinking about you and hope that you will find some answers soon.

(-:

Sue
  6. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

But we are all different so maybe it will be worth it to give it a try.
    Good luck!

Phoebe
  7. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Topamax made me feel kind of out of it. I didn't continue on it. I tried it through a sample, so maybe you could do that too so you wouldn't have to pay for a prescription if you didn't like it.
  8. wkirk87

wkirk87 New Member

Migraine Prevention Drugs_
    Topamax, Lyrica, Cymbalta, Effexor, Blood Thinners like Inderal

Migraine Onset Drugs_
    Imitrex

I don't know much about them, but what I do know is that:

a) Given you'd tried Imitrex and didn't have any adverse reactions to it, you should have some handy to take when you first start to feel or during the migraine.

b) I would not hold back. Migraines are extremely painful *****es and you want to prevent as many as possible, right? Anywhoo, ask your Pshychyatrist or Neurologist about Cymbalta and Effexor two (they're also anti-depressants), and ask your Neurologist about Topamax and Lyrica. Note that Lyrica's fatigue side effect affects a lot of people and the effect begins weak but gets stronger over time (just take note of that). Don't follow the Lyrica's directions - take it all at night time.

c) If the above don't work for you, try a blood thinner such as Inderal.

d) If not, then I think it's left up to the dreaded hormonal migraines that have no fix as of now... :(

Good luck!!

PS: If you think it's a sinus infection, get a CAT Scan.