Topamax for NonMigraine Headaches?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Jun 23, 2008.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

Has anyone used Topamax for other types of headaches like cervogenic, cluster or tension headaches? I don't believe I have migraines but have severe headaches caused by herniated disk in my neck. Muscles in head/neck/shoulders never relax.

Do you get "instant" relief or does it take time to work? My doc. wanted me to start at 25mg for 7 days. Then add another 25mg for 7 days.

I have had trouble with MORE SEVERE headaches on other meds like Gabapentin/Neurontin and Cymbalta and natural supps. like 5-HTP, Inositol and Inhib. Neurotransmitter amino acids even at very low doses.

I also get a feeling of inflammation/swelling on many supps. May be intolerence to inactive ingredients like corn and soy?!

[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2008]
  2. jaba520

jaba520 New Member

My son was on this for epilepsy, another use for the drug. All I can say about it is he never had a headache while on it, but never gained any weight either, he was 5 yrs old and weighed 35 pounds, we had to switch his meds because of the weight factor. I also know others who have gone on it and lost alot of weight it causes you to lose your appetite. Good Luck
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I am on Topamax for Fibro. It has helped my headaches tremendously! I didn't have migraines per se, but terrible tension or some sort of excrucitating headaches. I've only had a few headaches since I started in the first of Dec.
    I take it daily, so have never taken when I get a headache so can't answer your question about instant relief.
    However, the other day, I did start to get a headache, realized I hadn't taken my daily dose, took it and my headache did go away. So maybe it does work that way. I bet it does since it is used for migraines.

It helped my upper arm pain associated with Fibro. I couldn't take Neurontin or Lyrica and it's sort of in the same kind of family.

I thought it stopped working when I had a couple of headaches, but both of my doctors reminded me that you can still have bad days even on medication.

I've had no side effects. The only one in the beginning is some food tasted weird. It can also make you sleepy in the beginning, but it has helped my sleep. I mean, since I've taken it, I now sleep through the night. Thumbs up for me!
  4. hensue

hensue New Member

my doc wants to start at 25 mig. should i take it day or night?
    I also take klonopin at night
    thanks hensue