Topamax Weight Loss Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by satchya, May 19, 2009.

1. satchya

satchya New Member

My doctor agreed to let me add Topamax (anticonvulsant) to my Gabapentin (anticonvulsant) after I gained 10 pounds in three months on my Gabapentin in spite of frequent exercise. I started the topamax on the 5th of this month (I think?), and have lost about 6 pounds already. I have been kind of nauseous, so that's part of it.

It absolutely hasn't added to the pain relief effect of the gabapentin, but it hasn't taken away from it either, and since I was ready to quit taking the gabapentin because of the weight gain, that's worth it right there. It hasn't taken away my appetite, but it seems to make it much easier for me to make healthy food choices.

I think lowering the amount of lortab I'm taking has probably contributed to the weight loss, but between that and the topamax I feel like I'm getting control of my appetite back again. I know that eating too much sugar and fat is not good for us with fibro. So if topamax helps me control that, it is worth it to me.
  2. jmq

jmq New Member

Intersesting....I never heard of that drug helping with the weight loss. I am taking Wellbutrin for depression...but also because it is suppose to also help curb weight gain.

I have been on it over a month and NO change. I am exercising too. Its so frustrating!

Keep us posted on your progress

3. cathugs

cathugs New Member

My daughter was on Topamax for migraines and she lost a
    lot of weight. My niece is on it and she lost a lot also. It really helps her migraines.
    I took it and nothing happened.Didn't help pain and sure
    didn't lose any weight. That is always my luck.
    But be careful, one of the side affects is hair loss. My daughter
    lost a lot of hair. She had to get a hair weave, and the glue made more of her hair come out.
    She shaved her head and bought a wig. Her hair is slowly
    growing back in, but I don't know if the original spot will grow back or not.

My niece hasn't had any problems with the hair loss. Please watch
    for hair loss while on this med.

4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My first few weeks on Topamax I lost about 8 lbs. Then it all came back and then some. Now I can't drop a lb probably if I even cut a foot off.
    It did help my headaches for the first year, then after that it became in effective as well.
    I don't know why I'm still on it, but my doc doesn't want to make any changes right now.

I hope that it works well for you in every area!! We're all SO different - once again, proven! =)