Topamax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mafusula, Jun 21, 2006.

1. mafusula

mafusula New Member

Is anyone with FM taking Topamax and does it take away the pain? What doasage do you take and any bad side effects?

Mafs
  2. fabricaholic

fabricaholic New Member

I took topomax 100mg and yes it did take away the pain, it also took away the feeling in my fingers and ties. But other than that it was wonderful. But then again I am sensitive to drugs, a little goes a long way for me.

The Dr's I work for prescribe it to patients all the time with great results and very few of them have any sideeffects. My Dr's also prescribe lyrica for CFS and FM with great results.

My mom takes 200mg for FM and it works great for her. She still has pain but it isn't as severe as it woul be with out it.

fabricaholic
  3. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I think I should be on more. I was on 75 at one point, but lowered it when I went on the long-acting narcotics.

It really is a good medication for nerve pain, in my opinion. But at larger doses, it can have some crazy side effects. You have to monitor yourself, and when you reach a point where you are having side effects, cut back on it.

Take care. PG
  4. kirsty28

kirsty28 New Member

when i took it it made me sooo depressed...it did not help with pain and i felt the worst phycologically ever and i'm usually quite positive...my doc took me staight off...
    i know i was really disapointed it hadn't worked so maybe that made me feel terrible too as i was desperate for pain releif.
    kirsty x
  5. mafusula

mafusula New Member

Thanks everyone, you have all been helpful. I'm grasping at straws at the moment trying to find anything to take away this neverending pain!!

Mafs
  6. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i've been taking topamax for a couple of years now for daily headaches with very good results. i take 50mg in the morning and 100mg at night. i've really had almost no sidew effects. i don't even get the common dopey feeling that some people describe. but it really takes a lot of any med to make me at all sleepy.
    i hope this helps.
    rachel
  7. tonakay

tonakay New Member

I've been taking it for two months now. I take 100 mg at bedtime and it has really helped my leg nerve pain to settle down. I'm sticking with it for now. No bad side effects for me, headaches have stopped too.

Good luck!
    Tona
  8. mary124

mary124 New Member

yes, I take Topamax- not for FM but for keeping fluid in my brain at a minimum. I take 150 mg. at night before I go to bed. ( I also take in the morning migraine formula vitamins. I have been taking this for about a year now. Seems to help, haven't had any problems.
  9. wiry

wiry New Member

I took topamax for my migraines ... but within a month I developed a very sore tongue which turned into deep furrows (canals). Very frightening. Not listed as a side effect but my neurologist was very worried about it and took me off of it. Another friend developed amnesia for a period of time and couldn't remember certain spaces of time. I think it can be very dangerous for some people. Watch carefully for strange symptoms. They are marketing it very aggressively for migraine prevention. Also marketing the fact that you lose about 10 pounds when you take it (true for me). Be very careful.
  10. angellwolffe

angellwolffe New Member

i take 25 mg of topamax for fm pain. it does nothing but the doctor said not to go back to nurontin, which was working, because the topamax helps you lose weight. he wont' raise the dose either. he also tried me on lyrica but would only give me the lowest dose. talking to his nurse i've raised my nurontin up to 400 mg three times a day plus the 25 mg of topamax 2 times a day, i'm getting better results but still getting pain. he's assured that all my problems are due to sleep apnea and they will be solved once i get a cpap machine
  11. mafusula

mafusula New Member

I live in Australia and was wondering if any Aussies in here are taking it. Also is it hard to get from your GP and is it on the PBS list or is it expensive?

Mafs