Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HVACWIFE1, Jun 3, 2008.

HVACWIFE1 New Member

Is anyone taking Topamax, and what kind of effect
    does it have on you?
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I take topomax for migraine prevention. 50 mg at night. I have had no side-effects and I actually think it helps with my FMS pain. It is expensive though. Insurance doesn't cover a lot of the cost. But, it has stopped my migraines altogether so it is worth every penny!

Take care, Sally
  3. jaded_lady

jaded_lady New Member

100 mg at night, for migraines.

The Dr. said I might look at a notebook and forget the name of the notebook. (I do that anyway).

A coworker says her friend calls it Dopeamax, cause she acts Dopey.

I have taken it, I think with no problems.

I have had issues, but I believe ALL my mental malfunctions and most of my issues are from a Severe Vitamin D Defieciency. I am taking a prescription strength Vitamin D for that.

My neice has taken Topamax. She said it helped stop the migraines and she thinks it helped her lose weight.

I have not lost much weight yet, but I would recommend trying the topamax. I prefer it to a migraine!!

Let us know how you do, give it about a week, the first few days may feel strange.

Start with low doses and move up.

Good luck.
  4. glenda2

glenda2 New Member

i have taken topamax and it took care of my headaches but it made me VERY irritable. i do not remember what dosage i had but i was mean. i wanted to rip everybodies head off.

but i didnt have a headache. i finally had to quit taking it to be nice again. but you may not have that side a search on topamax here you will see alot of information. good luck.

5. nastaranjune

nastaranjune New Member

after losing my right eye vision, and lots of appointments later, I was told that it was topomax that caused the eye problem losing my vision. I stoppe it and vision came back. this does not mean everyone has that side effect.
    when I was on it, my migraines were much better.
    good luck.
  6. resignedtofibro

resignedtofibro New Member

Hi hvacwife1: I've been taking Topamax for over a year now, and it has really decreased my migraines. Without it, I have continual migraines, so I definitely recommend it. The only problems I had with it was more difficulty concentrating, which I have anyway, and that got a little beter with time. Hope it works for you!
  7. sturg1

sturg1 New Member

I took it for the nerve pain after Neurontin stopped working. At first it helped and I slept better. Then we had to up the dosage because it stopped working. I then got intense tingling in my feet (something it was supposed to help with, but made it worse). Like others have mentioned, I started to get really cranky (mildly put). My husband and sisters sat me down to get to the bottom of my personality change. I looked up side effects and sure enough, that was one of them. Went off of it and "nice" self returned. It felt like a constant, intense PMS.

Others haven't had this problem though. Here's to hoping you get positive results!

Oh... I did lose weight on it!! Lost those pesky pounds that I gained with Neurontin!!!