Topamax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I finally got up my courage to meet my PCP for the first time. I had anticipated that he would be uncaring and antagonistic, but he was quite the opposite. I actually went in because I have shingles, but discussed FMS/CFS with him. I wanted to try Guaifenisin, and asked him for a prescription. I took a paper written by Dr. St. Amand and gave it to him. He was agreeable and cooperative. But he asked me if I had ever tried Topamax. The name rings a bell, and I am wondering what anyone else knows about it. Anyone?

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

I finally got up my courage to meet my PCP for the first time. I had anticipated that he would be uncaring and antagonistic, but he was quite the opposite. I actually went in because I have shingles, but discussed FMS/CFS with him. I wanted to try Guaifenisin, and asked him for a prescription. I took a paper written by Dr. St. Amand and gave it to him. He was agreeable and cooperative. But he asked me if I had ever tried Topamax. The name rings a bell, and I am wondering what anyone else knows about it. Anyone?

Hippo
  3. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

It also sounds familiar to me..I heard of Topral, wonder if it's basically in the same family like Ultram & Ultracett..
    If I find anything more out - will let you know..
    Take Care.......Donna
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

First of all it has no connection to Toprol, which is a Beta Blocker. It is a completely different drug. The one thing I know about is that it can cause an extremely low white blood cell count. It did for me and I went through terrible tests with inconclusive results. When I began seeing my CFS/FM doc he immediately knew it was from the Topomax.

Hope this is some help.

Barbara
  5. Jewelz

Jewelz New Member

I was on topamax.. because of a mood disorder. It helps calm people down as well... It also helps to treat mirganes and helps to aid seizure disorders. There are alot of interactions with other meds and foods, so I would look it up if I was new to this med.

Misty
  6. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

You are right, must have fog today, Toprol is the medication they give my Mom for her blood pressure..But there is a pain medication that sounds similiar in name, I was just given it last March after a car accident..
    Have a good day........Take Care........Donna
  7. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

I'm pretty sure that Topamax is a anti-seizure medications I took it for about a year for neuropthy. it is suppose to keep your nervous system from having some type of seizure. I know that this doesn't make much sense, but I have been on so many different medications its hard to keep them straight I don't even remember why the doctor took me off.It does help maitain your weight I didn't lose any weight but I didn't gain any either. I have now gain 50 pounds of elavil. It also made me very drooswy.

[ advertisement ]