Topic for those that crave sugar

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kalaya, Nov 15, 2005.

1. kalaya

kalaya New Member

Goodevening all I was just drifting off in thought yesterday and thinking about different people I know and how some of them can eat half a candy bar and be completely satisfied with no desire to continue eating.
    Then I know other people who can eat half a cake plus two quarts of ice cream and 8 oatmeal raisin cookies before they get the signal from there body that it is ok to stop eating now.
    There are times when I am in the catagory of the later but I have come to realise that it is not merely a craving or food preferance,no it is much more like a physiological need.When someone is having an asthma attack there body obviously signals them of the need for oxygen.
    The sugar cravings are on this level meaning that my body seems to be saying 'I need this immediately or I will be unable to continue on until you do give me this grandiose dose of sugar'.Luckily I am trim and very fit.
    Do any of you go through this where the sugar pleadings of your body seem to be far more like a physiological necessity than just a preferance or craving?
  2. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

As I'm sitting here now, I'm obsessing about something sweet to eat. When I go without sugar, I get grouchy, impatient, and "antsy". Sometimes I even get a headache. I've been trying to cut back. It is sooo difficult. Its almost like a drug. That first bite. The calming feeling that comes with it. The rush of satisfaction..........and the craving for more. Lifelong battle.
  3. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

I have always loved sweets since childhood, so I do not know if it is a physiological necessity for me. I just know that a hot fudge sundae is like heaven especially during that time of the month! lol!

I am trying to cut down on sweets, since I notice severe fatigue, pain, and fibro fog a day later. I hate what this dd has done to us!

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  4. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I've never been overweight but since childhood I loved my sweets and chocolate, I'll never forget that when I was 16 me and my best friend (who was the same as me) baked a chocolate cake, slathered it with caramel and icing, cut it in half and we each ate half a chocolate cake.
    One of our other favourite things was to melt mars bars in the microwave and then mix it with condensed milk and coco pops and eat it out of the bowl with spoons until there was nothing left.

At that time we were both very skinny and to this day I have always been thin, I've never felt sick from consuming large amounts of sugar. I have thought many times I have candida, but then again I ask myself, have I had candida since I was 13 years old? I'm now 27 and I still love my sugar, I know too much is bad but it's like a drug, I feel like I will go out of my mind sometimes if I don't get my sugar fix.
    I also think my blood sugar is low many times and that my body really has a physiological need for sugar.

Phoebe
  5. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

I've read that our carb cravings are due to our bodies desperate search for a source of energy. Although I'm trying to control the resultant hypoglycemia with a low carb diet, I do worry about the effect the large amount of fat contained in such a diet is having on my cholesterol level. More reseach is needed into our sugar cravings.
  6. dorabella

dorabella New Member

I can't say that I crave sugar, but I didn't eat chocolate or cakes or biscuits for 10 years - the only sugar I had was in my tea - until I was diagnosed with Fibro.

Now I have some chocolate or cake or biscuit on an almost daily basis. I don't go overboard with it but nevertheless my consumption has increased.

This ailment is a really a pain - it makes you do things you don't want to do!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2005]
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

especially around period time - I had a hysterectomy but retained my ovaries and still get pmt etc and terrible cravings for sweets - it is physiological and I do have to give in.

Other times I crave sweets too especially after dinner but I am trying to make do with a pear or peaches.

I've put even more weight on this past couple of months, 21lbs to be exact. aaaaagh.

I take chromium and thats supposed to help but it hasnt worked yet.

love
    Rosie
  8. FM_DD

FM_DD New Member

I am in the same boat, I crave sweets constantly. Especially after a mean, I have tried brushing my teeth, sugarfree gum, everything. Nothing else works until I do get satisfied. About a month ago I realized it was all I was eating.

How do you know if you have candida?
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I went cold turkey off sugar at the beggining of March. I loove to bake and was a big sweets eater. But I was entirely desparate to get my life back and would do almost anything!! I am not the strongest person and my will powere has always been pretty bad. It took almost three weeks but after that the sugar cravings went away and I have been pretty much sugar free since. One of the keys is to ditch all of the artificial sweetners along with the sugar and don;t eat the really sweet fruits like pineaplle until the cravings go away.

I though people were full of it when they said the cravings leave but it was true! Now if I could just stop craving NAchos and Pizza!! Lynn

PS I went totally on the Candida diet at the end of April and now have integrated foods back in in small amounts.(still no sugar) I feel much better and lost 28 lbs.
  10. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I know this is days later, but I had to reply to your letter. My cravings are more than CRAVINGS. I feel like a BIG PIG!!! Unfortunitly I am very heavy and get depressed over the whole thing. My dr. is running some blood tests becuz she said that it is more than cravings. Thanks so much for posting this.. I don't feel so alone.

PIRT
  11. ChungieDolor

ChungieDolor New Member

Speaking about what you said. From 1998, I have gained 60 pounds! yes. You read it, SIXTY........SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
    I had that freakin gall bladder surgery, and everything went downhill. Not to blame it all entirely on the surgery. I have alway been chubby since childhood. I know I have lost some weight because my clothes fit loose. I do not dare get on the scale though. Luckily, I am tall, so that helps me a bit.

I too get my cravings in the evening. Rocky Road ice cream is my favorite. So maybe, I am on the fence with this questions. Can't sit on it too long! lol!

By the way, who takes Garlic pills for their Candida?

Sincerely
    Chungiedolor
  12. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I have had severe sugar craving since I was a little girl.My family were all sugarholics. I can eat an entire big carton of ice cream, cookies, and 2 candy bars in about 30 minutes. the only way I have been able to stop this kind of eating is to eat low carb meals, and then I have no cravings for sugar, sure I still cheat once in awhile, but not very often anymore.
  13. I don't eat alot of it at once, but seem to need a daily dose of CHOCOLATE. I sure don't need it. I do feel so much better NOT eating junk food. It sure is hard .
  14. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

sugar. The craving started along with me starting Elival. I know that this med makes you crave sweets, as do many anti-depressants.

I have taken myself off Elival at different times, and sure enough the craving stopped. And the FMS flare started.

I try to not eat sweets, but some days it is like a loosing battle. I continue to take Elival, as it works the best for me. I have tried many other meds. None of them worked for me.

rrsbaby