Topical pain relief -best product recommendations

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lmmillion, Oct 24, 2006.

1. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I read that Jointritis was supposed to be good for fibro pain. I was looking at the store today, though, and was very surprised that Jointritis was upwards of $17.00, compared to other brands(and generics) with seemingly the same ingredients(10% salicylate). I need something that will help with the pain and burning on my legs, arms, and lower back.

Any recommendations for a great cream or liquid topical product? If the Menthol or whatever makes the pain relief better, then I guess I can go with a stinkier version. Or, maybe there's a good one that's non-scented for during the day, but a more potent one that smells stronger that might work better at night. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

best thing I've use, fairly economical, about $13 a tube and goes on sale sometimes. I get it at large grocers that have the health section, tends to be cheaper than health stores.

Arnica smells alot like mild chamomile and has no asa or menthol, so people won't know you use it. It's mild enough for someone w/ bad MCS like me, w/ no added fragrance too. It's pretty instant relief though, for at least an hour. A tube lasts me a mth lately, but when I was worse and I used it several times daily it would last 2 wks.

I've also used Traumeel cream which works mostly as well as arnica, but much more expensive. Traumeel did work better just for my feet in the summer when the humidity and heat made them flare. But then I discovered a hot lemon juice footbath (in my soup pot) worked better than anything for the feet/ankles and is a super cheap remedy.

Jeanne
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

024 and it stunk so bad!

I got a sample of Biofreeze and liked it
  4. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I'm so desperate for relief that I came out of the store with a bunch of stuff to try. I bought Aspercreme, Well Patches, Cura-Heat(stinky)and that other one for fibro(O24). So far, I don't notice any relief but I'll keep using it. The smelly ones are driving my daughter nuts! I also will try the Arnica Gel when I find it.

Thanks for your ideas.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2006]
  5. Summit

Summit New Member

Hi, here are a few I use.Equate(generic Ben Gay) has 4% camphor, 10% menthol, and 30% methyl salicylate. But, yes it stinks, it's the stinky stuff that makes it work. It is only like $3 a tube, used over time, you will find it helps get your muscles softened up (where you get knots) Also there is a roll on stuff called BioFreeze, with ilex, cryotherapy the cold method. it's distributed by performance health inc. yu can check it out at www.biofreeze.com or call 1-800-246-3733. I get it at the chiropractors it costs about $9, doesn't stink. And for something "hot" I use Trixaicin HP, The active ingredient is capsicum oleoresin (capsasion cream) the stuff that makes hot peppers hot. It is hot. and you Must wear gloves to put it on (you really don't want it in your eyes) it calms the nerve endings after using for awhile, plus gets really hot . you can get that at drug store, I don't remember what I paid for it. Also try ice packs, and heat packs. Good Luck
  6. Aghllw

Aghllw New Member

I have tried everything and aside from the Lidoderm patches that I could never imagine living without, Biofreeze is the best! Last longer than any others that I have used.

Most Chiropractors carry it. Or, you can google it and can even find some places to buy on the net. If you buy 5 or more, you can get them for $5-$6 each.

Good luck!!
  7. ll1816

ll1816 Member

I use Bio-Freeze when the pain is bad, especially on my neck and shoulder muscles. It's temporary, but it does help me. I order mine from the internet.

Take care and hugs,
    Liz
  8. charlenef

charlenef New Member

for a compound i dont remember everything that was in it i just remember there was amytriptline( wrong spelling)only certain drus stores would make it. it did seem to help but m out at the moment.ask your dr charlene
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

is what I use, and I order it off the net, from a Massage Therapy Outlet Store.

I order a 1l container with a pump. I like it better than the biofreeze because it is a lotion and not a gel, and I can rub it in better and it goes farther as it doesn't dry as fast. Not as much alcohol in it as biofreeze I guess.

It is way cheaper to buy it in the liter size than a smaller size.

Raz
  10. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I have tried so many types of rubs... A employee at a health food store, suggested this. It works faster than anything I've tried. They also have tablets which you can chew. Work great as an extra backup to the cream.

Kim
  11. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

A thick layer of arnica gel, allowed just to sink into the skin slowly in rather than rubbed in, is good.