Topical Painkillers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, May 7, 2010.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Topical Painkillers

If your pain is mild, if you have only a few joints affected by the disease, or if oral medications don't completely control your pain, you may find a topical pain reliever or topical analgesic useful.

Topical painkillers are available as creams, salves, or gels. The active ingredients of topical painkillers include:

* Capsaicin. Found naturally in hot peppers, capsaicin is found in drug stores under the brand names of Capzasin-P, Zostrix, and other drugs. Capsaicin works by blocking the transmission of a pain-relaying substance called substance P to the brain.

* Counter-Irritants. Camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol are found in a variety of agents such as ArthriCare, Eucalyptamint, and Icy Hot amongst others. These substances are able to relieve pain by tricking the body to feel the coolness or heat of these agents.

* Salicylates. This substance is available in Aspercreme, BenGay, and Flexall. Salicylates work by decreasing pain and inflammation.

WebMD Medical Reference
  2. spacee

spacee Member

We like to keep on hand Medic Moist. I really don't know where you get it except online
    (google) or maybe eBay. We buy a few at a time and don't need them they
    last awhile for us.

My 2 cents.

3. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I use Activ On. It isnt a miracle worker but it helps. Thats my 2
  4. caroleye

caroleye New Member

It's so strong, I dilute it & keep a spray bottle by my bed. For my arthritic knee, I use a magnetic wrap and a gel for arthritis I get from Swansons.

I use alot of spot magnets everywhere!! Glad they don't stick to the fridge :)
  5. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

.......but I think I'd need to bathe in the stuff!!!

ps.....hope no one has nightmares tonight!! :)
  6. paulac7

paulac7 Member

Surprised no one mentioned this one--I have used Biofreeze for years--my chiropractor swears by it, and so do I!!

It can be kind of hard to track down, as it's not a regular OTC thing, but well worth it, in my opinion. It comes in a roll-on bottle, has a slight medicinal scent that dissipates quickly, (actually I kind of think it smells refreshing, but opinions vary), and it also works on headaches, at least for me........

7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Lot's of helpful information above. However, topical creams, gel, etc. do not help my FM muscle pain. I think it has to do with the fact that the pain is perceived by the brain?

But that's me and people may have other issues with FM that cause the pain.

I wonder how many others with FM muscle pain find that the topical medications are not effective?

I will have to pass these along to my dad. The stuff he uses right now does not seem to help like it used to.

[This Message was Edited on 05/09/2010]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2010]
  8. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I find that Icy/Hot works the best for me. My 83 old father told me about that one. I didn't belive it until I tried it and I tell everyone at work about it.