Tops of my Shoulders are so painful. Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BelleoftheSouth, Oct 9, 2008.

1. BelleoftheSouth

BelleoftheSouth New Member

The top close to my neck across to the end of my shoulders are so tender I can barely touch them.

My knee feels like someone is hammering a nail in it and my other knee I can barely stand along with the low back pain.

God help us all is all I can say.

[This Message was Edited on 10/09/2008]
  2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I've been struggling with that recently as well, although it doesn't hurt to touch. I feel it in my collarbone too- that does hurt to the touch and I'll be glad when it passes. I've driven more this last week than in months so I'm sure it's that, and maybe stress adding to it.

I used magnets normally (they do help me) but my necklace broke and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes.
    I have had little succsess with biofreeze up that high (works well on other muscles).
  3. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi...can you explain the lymph drainage? I notice I have an achy lump in the right side of my hurts up to just below the ear and is really noticable when I try to bend my head forward.
    Could that be related to the shoulder pain?

4. BelleoftheSouth

BelleoftheSouth New Member

I've not heard of that.

It sounds painful.

For the firt time I took Lycera and when I got up my shoulders felt fine but the rest of me wanted to go back to bed. So I did.

My shoulders are back to hurting so the Lycera helps and I can't take it due to drowsiness(sp).

Be Well All and I hope a cure comes soon.

5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

The PT says it is bursitis and tendonitis. I am trying to work with it, too. I am having a problem with lifting my arms to dress, etc.

The heat, massage, tens help, but then I have to go back working and it's back to the way it was.

I am going to my doctor to see if he can tell me what to do and it may help on my filing for SS.
  6. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

Just wanted to say be careful if you're going to start having deep tissue massages etc - it can make you a LOT worse, especially if your body can't cope with the extra toxins.

There's an osteopath here called Ray Perrin (who works alongside Dr Wright in Bolton, UK) who's developed a CFS treatment (Perrin Technique) based on lymph drainage. He gives you a massage routine to follow every day and you see an osteo every week/ him every 6 for check ups. When I saw him he was 'too thorough' with his massage and made me SO much worse. It must have dropped me about 25% at least. I'm still not over that (it was in may), and I decided to quit the treatment because I was too ill to massage myself, or want to be massaged.

He says it's good if you get that initial reaction as it shows it's working, but it's a very demanding technique and I'd certainly encourage anyone to think twice before starting it.

That said, a normal osteopath would probably help you a lot. The way the pain is causing you to hold yourself is ironically probably worstening it by throwing your alignment out, so if you're able to get to one I'd definately recommend it :)

Hope you feel better soon
  7. 5hei1a

5hei1a New Member

I only:) have FM and CFS, no Osteo...but yes. My shoulders are one of the most painful spots for me. Mine is worse on left side. Sore to touch. Sore from deep inside. Shooting pain. Throbbing pain. You name it the top of my neck and back across my shoulders hurts.

I advise to be very careful with deep tissue massage, also. Especially if you are not used to it. I had one a while back and it put me down (even more) for almost a week.

Soft hugs,
  8. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I have had fibro for about 18 years and the shoulders have always hurt a lot. There are pressure points about midway between the top of your arm/shoulder and your neck and a little way toward the back. If you have fibro you can probably find them. They are always there and always sore. There are times I wish I had someone to just rub my shoulders. I would give them my last dollar for the relief.

Sure hurts!
  9. Engel

Engel New Member

Pain is all over but neck and shoulders just do me in!!!
  10. twoyorkies

twoyorkies New Member

BelleoftheSouth--My Fibro started last May 2008 in my knees, upper legs, neck, and sometimes my right side of my jaw. It moves but has now been in both arms (complete arms) and my shoulders. Both the rheumatologist and my regular doctor thought I had too much pain for it to be all fibro--so I had an MRI, etc. but they can't find anything in my neck to be doing this. I am currently on Neurontin, Naproxen, Pepcid-since the Naproxen makes me sick at my stomach, and Vicodin for the pain. This morning the Vicodin is doing nothing. It hurts to life my diet coke and eat my cereal. I go to a rehabilitation doctor on Friday. I am taking physical therapy which is worth less. How long do the first episodes of this last before they receded for a little while? I am totally worn out--I work full time also.