Toques and Mitten weather

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Redwillow, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

It's toque and mitten weather here and I feel like I have seized up! I watched two hockey games yesterday, my husband coaches an 8 & 9 year old boys and girls Atom hockey team.

I really enjoyed watching them play, in fact I got quite choked up, I admit I am very sentimental but today my body is not happy with me. All that standing in a cold damp arena!

Just letting everyone know I am alive but moving very slowly.

hugs Redwillow

2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

is a knitted hat. Please see the icon. :)
  3. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

Sorry you are so stiff after the games. Ice is a very
    hard thing for us to endure.

I know if I get some bad ice mixed in with my alcohol
    it is extreamly hard on me the next morning......

People just don't realize that ice can go bad....

Gentle bear hugs

4. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Sorry for the confusion. I think Toque is a French Canadian word for a knitted hat that you wear to keep you head warm to survive our Canadian winters.

I guess you never realize that a word that you use all the time is not familiar to someone else! Toques, hockey, duct tape, 2-4's of beer are all part of Canadian humor! To really appreciate Canadian humour you need to watch some "Red Green shows". Help me out here Bruinz!

See my emoticon to the left, I usually use this emoticion to show that I am Canadian!

There was a thin layer of frost on the pond this morning and a bit of snow on the ground! Its getting cold around here!

Bruinz the solution to bad ice in your drink is you have to drink faster before it melts! LOL

hugs Redwillow
  5. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

lol. Drinking faster may just help.

At home I have been keeping my alcohol in the freezer
    and drinking it straight from the bottle. No need for any
    kind of ice then. The only problem is when your lip gets
    frozen stuck to the bottle.

Gentle bear hugs

6. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

A 2-4 is like a six pack only larger, times a six pack by
    4. (24 of beer)

We also have a 2-6. It refeers to hard alcohol sold in the
    26 ounces.

7. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am feeling much better today Mystic! Thanks for asking! I slept like a log last night, woke up at 9:00 am and felt at whole lot better. If only I could sleep like that all every night!

So now it is my turn to be educated Mystic. What is a shirt-tail cousin? Is that like a back door relation? LOL that is what my parents called distant cousins.

Bruinz if your lips freeze to the bottle then you won't need any hands! or perhaps you could just use a straw???

Nanjee a toque is pronounce Too-ke (oooo like owls say)! LOL What do you call a knit hat that rolls back at around the ears and and has a pom pom on the top? (it doesn't have to have a pom pom but the emoticon toque does, sometimes they also have ear flaps!)

hugs all Redwillow

8. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Now you got it Nanjee! We will make you into a honorary Canadian in no time!

Next we will give you lessons on the usefullness of duct tape! Red Green for Prime Minister! I was told my one American on the chats that they watch Red Green on PBS. Have you ever watched him Nan? My son calls it educational television! LOL

A stocking cap, huh! Sort of like a sock for you head? Makes sense to me!

Anyway got to go make dinner. I have roast beef in the oven. There will be lots, anyone want to join me? I would just need to put more potatoes in the pot!

hugs Redwillow

9. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I will bring the 2-6 that has been chilling in the
    freezer so we won't run the risk of bad ice.

Anything else you would like me to throw in my hockey
    bag (What Canadian doesn't take a hockey bag everywhere) besides the Christmas coloured Duct tape?

If it is snowing out don't worry I can pick everyone
    up. I am Canadian!! and I leave my snow tires on all
    year round....... I also have a trunk full of hockey
    sticks if the mood hits after supper.

Gentle bear hugs

[This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  10. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

We will have no problem getting the two of you across
    the boarder with your food and pops. Everyone in Canada
    recognizes me from my signs and will just wave us threw.

Talking about hockey reminds me of my first NHL experience. The coach called me to the Center face off
    circle. When I skated up to him he threw me a puck and
    "If your going to make it here kid your going to
    have to pass this puck with speed and accuracy".
    I said "Pass it? I can't even swallow it".

Gentle bear hugs

11. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Kris Kringle like in Santa Claus? Isn't he busy making toys about now?

What kind of pops are you bringing? I have a feeling we are talking about something else beside Pepsi or Coke!

talk some more later

hugs Redwillow
  12. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

No passports are required, but warm clothing is a must.

Just try and stick to a one team theme, boarder crossing
    could be a little tougher if you are sporting Greenbay Packer helmets while wearing a Chicago bears sweat shirt.
    Not that there is anything wrong with the colours
    matching...... I would rather do without the latex
    treatment from the boarder guards.

Redwillow should I bring a Saskatoon pie?

Gentle bear hugs

13. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

So you know about Fresh Cheese Curds do you Mystic. I knew you were my kind of people. The make them at the local cheese factory about 15 minutes drive from here. People literally line up for the fresh curd in the morning.

On the way back from picking up our curd we can stop at the local chocolate factory outlet and you can stock up for Christmas. This place is too good to be true with chocolate covered almonds in barrels that you scoop and bag for yourself. Lots of things to choose from.

I don't know about the packer hats or the bears sweatshirts. My hubby will be sure to pass out the Toronto Maple leaf hockey jerseys to wear if we play hockey. The pond isn't frozen yet so it will have to be boot hockey.

I bought an extra large bag to pototoes yesterday so no problems!

Bruinz your humour is in fine form this morning! LOL

hugs to all
  14. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi all:

The letters are flying this morning!

Bruinz Saskatoon Pie sounds wonderful just leave the Prairie Oysters behind!

hugs Redwillow
  15. maineweezie

maineweezie New Member

Hi Guys,

Amazing how a language can be called the same but different too depending where you live. It used to get crazy when we had a family reunion here. The Frech would come from two areas in France both northern and Parisian.The Canucks arrived from Montreal and Arcadians toward Nova Scota. A few Creoles from down in the Bayous. And to finish off we Mainacs. Seven dialects same languae but we sometimes argued on words.

Know the lonlyest place on earth? In the Bayou Self... lol

As a knitter I know a stocking cap is as long as a knee-high unless it's combined with it's own scarf so kids don't loose pieces.Those of course go with the stinged mittens. Now if you've going skiing at a small town slope those gotta dissappear. You'll want a toque with ear flaps and leather mittens. Those others could wrap around the tow ropes.

I'll grab the taters as we grow them in our fields so we can save money for the personal antifreeze. I also can tell you when the border guards are off for an hour every single day. For some it's a need to know fact.No passports required.
  16. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I hope your not talking about my Prairie oysters.

Remember I am from the prairies and am quite fond and
    attached to mine..........

Gentle bear hugs

17. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Well Mystic if you are coming to visit I will have to give in a order up some snow. So far I am thrilled that we don't have any. You puppy is very pretty! After she runs around in my woods and swamp she might not look so white and clean though.

Now your husband is leading you astray. A toke is when you smoke those naughty cigarettes and if your hubby needs a toque for a condom he must be one proud man!

Now I am blushing for every bringing up the topic of prairie oysters. There is a Canadian music group that goes by that name, of course Bruinz that was what I was talking about, tee hee.

Prairie oysters are bull parts Bruinz so you Bear parts are safe! Now I am going to have Mystic and Nanjee blushing!

Mystic I know what a cow pie is, I am a farm girl you know! LOL and you have to make sure you are wearing rubber boots! You can eat it if you want, I'm not gonna! LOL

hugs Redwillow
  18. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

My goodness redwillow, you are very funny......

As bad as this may sound, I can only wear one toque
    at a time....... Its something I am not proud of.....

As for tokin:
    I was at the same party Bill Clinton was at and can
    varify that he and I never inhauled. I was just Monica's
    friend...... honest

I am so happy we were talking about the music group,
    I didn't want to give those up to.....

Gentle bear hugs

19. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

I am really not this funny! In real life I am a quiet shy recluse who lives in the woods, and doesn't speak to anyone for days at a time.

This is just my alter ego that comes out when I put my fingers on a keyboard. Maybe my keyboard is haunted??

Thanks for all the laughs everyone. Let me know when you want that roast beef dinner. My specialty is Roast beef, with yorkshire pudding and all the trimmings and apple pie with a brown sugar oatmeal crumble crust. This is what my husband requests every year for his birthday.

hugs Redwillow
  20. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Actually Mystic your hubby's definitions of what a toque is sounded much funnier than mine!

I was going to tease you Mystic about why you really like hockey players after your story but since I married a hockey guy too I guess I better be quiet!

My hubby just brought me home some fresh maple syrup. Anyone interested in pancakes for breakie?

When you are bathing Tucker could you take care of my Jake. I was nice and took the dogs for a walk in the woods this afternoon. Jake found something wonderfully stinky to roll in again and then he wonders why I don't like him lying on my feet! Phew!

hugs Redwillow