TORONTO, CANADA

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tes, Oct 4, 2002.

1. tes

tes New Member

I was wondering if anyone on this message board is from Toronto, Canada. I noticed that most of you are from the United States. You guys are more advanced than Canada on this illness and it's hard to find a good doctor here that specializes in fms. I've recently heard of one top doctor in Toronto, and I hope to get a referal soon.
  2. tes

tes New Member

I was wondering if anyone on this message board is from Toronto, Canada. I noticed that most of you are from the United States. You guys are more advanced than Canada on this illness and it's hard to find a good doctor here that specializes in fms. I've recently heard of one top doctor in Toronto, and I hope to get a referal soon.
  3. swen

swen New Member

I also find it hard to get someone to "believe" in FMS in Canada. Also, the doctors here are very reluctant to write prescriptions for pain drugs, unlike the States. I have had FMS diagnosed for four years but had symptoms years before. Two weeks ago was the first time they gave me painkillers - then only Tylenol 3 - and then only because I had been complaining about the worsening pain I was getting for four weeks - and then only because I was in agony and crying. They gave me 60 pills with no renewal! I am being very stingy with them and only taking them when I absolutely, absolutely have to.
  4. Thella

Thella New Member

lived in TO for a year many years ago. Still go there for conferences at least once a year.
    I have heard that you have a really good accupuncture dr. She works out of the university there I think.
    We do not have any specific fm drs. here but our gps are great. They all want to learn about it. I think we are going to have to get a class on fm and cfs in medical schools. They are building a new school for drs. in the North maybe I should suggest that for the curriculum.
    For dr. suggestions in the TO area you might look up the Northwest Ont. fibromyalgia support group. I do not know their addy anymore but the man who was in charge of it had fibro and was really lobbying the gov. His name is Byron Timmermans he is from Sudbury and that is where the group is from.
    Try a search on the web and you should get some address' at least.
    hope you find a doc. soon
    thella
  5. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hello Tes!
    Like you, I live in Toronto and have had trouble finding a doctor. Luckily, I was diagnosed quite quickly by a doctor at Sick Kid's Hospital. But I'm still searching for a doctor who is familiar with CFS and FM. I've actually got an appointment with a doctor who is trained in both Western and Eastern medicine. Last year, I made a large improvement with an Eastern doctor but my dad didn't trust him so I've decided to try this new doctor. If you find someone I'd love to hear about it and I'll post after my appointment wiht my new doctor.
    Please feel free to email me at sk8_4_au@yahoo.ca
    God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*
  6. tes

tes New Member

Thanks for responding to my post. I was just curious as to why this doctor at Toronto Western hospital can help. Has he helped you. I know of another doctor there, which I should be seeing soon. Please fill me in more. Thanks.
  7. G

G New Member

I was first diagnosed in the early 80's in Toronto by two rheumie's, once in K-W area and then once again by same doctor where I live now and had before. So that was 5 times I have been diagnosed by rhemie's and everyone of them said the same thing, diet, exercise - either in same temperature pool, stretching but not to the point where you hurt yourself. Walking, swimming, hot tubs, whirlpool are also mentioned. There are foods that we are simply not suppose to eat for it causes us pain.

You have to keep trying these even if you are wheelchair bound or bedridden for there are simple exercises you can do, I know for I have been there and am coming back slowly but am hopeful for my health to get better as time goes on.

I know it's not easy but it's worth it when you no longer are bedridden and only use your wheelchair for going out - just in case you fall as in my case. Back to cooking more and even some light housework. It's definitely worth it.

Taking My Life Back!
    G

[ advertisement ]