total knee replacement

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by sabra, Sep 25, 2003.

1. sabra

sabra New Member

Have you had a total knee replacement(TKR)? What is your experience with it? I'm interested in knowing about your post-op treatment and pain, the healing and physical therapy, and the long-term results.

One doctor tells me that the TKR can be done only once or twice, while another states it can be done multiple times. Is there anyone whose TKR has lasted beyond the 12-15 year expectation.

I've had physical therapy, athroscopy and physical therapy with limited success. I've had my third injection of Hyalgen-also limited improvement. Does anyone know about the success of Synvisc? I'm 53 and am trying to avoid a TKR.

I'd appreciate your feedback!
  2. 1952

1952 New Member

IM NEW HERE JUST BOP IN IM USUALLY IN THE LUPUS ROOM, I JUST HAD MY 3RD KNEE SURGERY IN JUNE,AND NOTHING HELP WENT FOR ANOTHER MRI,NOW SHOW,MY BE SCAR TISSUE,OR ANOTHER TORN MENCUS.I TOLD MY DR. WITH ALL MY PROBLEMS IM NOT A HEALER. SO IM GOING TO TRY IN 2WK SYNVISC IM A LITTLE NERVOUS I HOPE IT DOESNT HURT. BUT ITS WORTH TRYING INSTEAS OF SURGERY AGAIN. HOPE I HELP.

GAIL ALSO KNOWN AS 1952 IN LUPUS ROOM GOODLUCKIF YOU GET IT BEFORE ME. LET ME KNOW IF IT HELPS
  3. shaniloss

shaniloss New Member

Sabra,

Here's a tip for you, before you have the operation look into some herbal products. MY son (very athletic, 17) and my mom(75 yrs old) were suffering very bad with their knees, well we found this product called joint support and it has worked wonders. The doctor is no longer saying he must cut my son and mom has gotten of the prescription drugs altogether. If you are interested in how to order this product e-mail me Shaniloss@yahoo.com. I am sure it will work for you I watch my mom walk now without any pain.
  4. sabra

sabra New Member

I've had all 5 injections of Hyalgen (Synvisc). I have a little more "cushioning in the knee joint, but the problem persists. Thanks for replying to me. I hope you experience relief. Sabra
  5. Hi there,

If it can be avoided, I am all for avoiding it. I had my knee replaced at the age of 29 and because of my age, I have a cementless joint in which my bone grew into the prosthesis creating its own cement. I think that is only an option if you are under 50 years old. I am now 42, so my joint is 13 years old and so far, it is holding out. It has not, however, solved all my pain problems. It has made it much easier for me to walk, but I had a bunch of prior surgeries which probably accounts for the huge pain I still often get. Mainly the pain is at night when the weather changes - it feels like a knife is being jabbed in to my knee.

I have heard great things about Synvisc. I also have a friend who needed both knees replaced. She had the less damaged knee replaced and was scheduled for the more damaged knee to be replaced six weeks later. After the first one, she started to take Glucosamine and Chondroiton. It helped her so much that she decided against the knee replacement for the knee that was the worst. I talked to her several years later and she said that it still looks terrible on xray, but that she has no pain in it! I have had good luck with Glucosamine and Chondroiton for my back and shoulder.

Good luck to you.

Sandi