totally off topic... anyone here really good at Resumes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeronsmom, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

My husbands needs to have a really good Resume done as he has to send it in to Australia for a position that was offered to him but they really need to see a Resume and we want to make sure that his resume is going to WOW them..I have no problems paying for this service..can anyone help me.

love to all, Ann
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

you can google for help with resumes that way you know you're up to date.

Good luck, sounds exciting,would you be moving over there or is it for an Australian company in the States??

3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Thanks for the help, I am actually looking for someone to Write the Resume...with the way my mind is..can't think or put words together ( thanks to DD ).

We are moving to Australia, we love it there.

Love to all, Ann
  4. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

Thank You so much for that.....don't know why I didn't think of that in the first place.

Love to all, Ann
  5. joyfully

joyfully New Member

No matter who writes the resume,you hubby still has to spend time describing what his responsibilities were and what he accomplished. This isn't as easy as it sounds.

I don't know what field your hubby is in but most fields have "buzz words". Look for want ads in your hubby's field and you will see certain nouns and verbs keep showing up. You want these buzz words in the resume.

Action verbs. Go to your local library and scan through some job hunting books. You will find lists of action verbs. USE THEM where appropriate to describe job responsibilities.

I think an important question to ask for each job responsibility is "So what". Those two words are the portal to describing RESULTS. Don't assume the prospective employer is going to see the relevance, you must verbalize it.

Don't waste space writing down hobbies or saying, "references available upon request".

If your hubby has lots of experience and is older, you can do two pages maximum. If he doesn't have lots of job changes, and he is younger---then one page.

If you don't mind my asking, what field is your hubby in or what field is this new prespective job in?

A place that writes resumes can really help you, but you still have to articulate what responsibilities and results you have accomplished to them. They will format, make sure the punctuation is correct, get it all in the same verb tense, etc---but they can't read your hubby's mind.

I me, my--------------don't use!
    Sentences begin with action verbs.
    A, an, the -----------not necessary to use.

If I can find some stuff on the web, I'll come back and post it.

Do you also have to send a cover letter? A cover letter does not cover the same skill set as the resume. It covers your soft skills, your people skills, etc.

Web address of action verbs:

Do a word search of "list action verbs resumes". You will come up with LOTS of web addresses that have these lists. They are usually in past tense (end in "ed") and are the beginning word in your sentences.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2007]