Touch

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

I was wondering how many of us are 'touch' deprived. I live alone now and because of some traumatic issues have avoided physical contact.

How many of us live alone and have not been touched, hugged, held for extended periods?

Do you know that in the 1980s studies on baby chimps (!) showed that the touch deprivation caused depression and death in infant chimps?

I asked my chiro if he offered massage therapy in his practice (not him but had someone on staff etc)and he doesnt. I told him its a little stressful to physically accept adjustments when the only physical contact is being jolted and crunched each week. Being the adorable well adjusted social butterfly that he is, I dont think he appreciated the seriousness of what I told him.

2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I think a lot of us are in that situation, without regular 'touch'. Finding a good massage therapist is one way to deal with this and it makes a real difference. I would recommend this to anyone.

Kathy
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

I was looking forward to getting my life back after being a single parent ... now I got FMS instead :-( . I forget what human touch is ... other than medical people touching me.
  4. Didoe

Didoe New Member

The same way I had to moooove my medical situation from one family doc, I'm thinking its time to gear up and find another chiro who offers a full compliment of therapies. My chiro took over the practice of an older practitioner and inherited his patients. He's really sweet but limited.

I just got my insurance payment billing receipts. He's being paid $145 to spend less than 10 minutes tinkering with my lower back with a massage machine and some very light pressure point work on my shoulders. Seems a tad much for very little work. My previous chiro put patients on a massage table for 20 minutes and then spent 15 minutes doing slow careful adjustments. A session never took less than 45 minutes. Now I spend more time in a half empty waiting room...I dont know what he's busy with, maybe meditation.