Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Jul 15, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

Paulmack,,,,Just checking in to see how your Scott is doing in the Race!,,,The MT guy is #13 as of yesterday! I think his Name is Levi,,,,Mountians trails still comming up!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope your havin' a good week!,,,,S
  2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Since they hit the mountains at the weekend our guy David Millar has went from 4th to 88th overall.Don't think the mountain stages agree with him.
    Saw Saturday's stage highlights on tv & the scenery on these mountain stages is amazing,definitely wish I was there,lol.
    Your guy Levi is doing well at the moment,lets hope he keeps it up,makes the race more interesting if someone from your country/state is doing well.
    Missed yesterdays highlights as I was watching the Scottish Open golf at Loch Lomond,was excellent but I think your guy Phil Mickelson practically threw it away,but it was good to see the unknown French guy win it.
    Have a good week too.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2007]
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I don't think the American or Scottish riders are doing too well in the Tour at the moment! Levi Leipheimer is the American favorite, but he slipped a bit in the mountains yesterday. But for the scenery and the excitement of the race, it's a pleasure to watch anyway.
    How about that scenery at Tignes at the end of yesterday's stage?

Ah, Paul, you're right about Phil Mickelson giving away the Scottish Open. He has a tendency to choke. He did the same thing at the U.S. Open last year. But what a gorgeous course Loch Lomond is, and I'll bet the French player enjoyed beating the #2 player in the world.

On Thursday, they all tee off at Carnoustie for the British Open! Where the heck in Scotland is Carnoustie, anyway?
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Carnoustie is not too far from St Andrews actually,on Scotland's east coast.You head up to the Tay Bridge & cross to the city of Dundee & just a few miles up the coast is Carnoustie.Never actually stayed there but have passed through it on many occasions en route to Aberdeen & Stonehaven where my aunt used to live.
    Looking forward to the golf this week,we get terrestial coverage on BBC from about 9am until it finishes each evening,can't wait.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Ken:paul: MT Levi,,hopefuly will surprise you!,,,imho! The Golf sounds Great also! not for us of course! Where did the French guy come from anyway?? LOLO,,,Glad you guys get to watch the scenery also!,,,,,

I get 15 seconds at news time! Golf is such an interesting sport! Talk about precise positioning and speed of the club etc,,,maybe Phil should rethink his game!lol ,,,,,,Have fun watching all!,,,,,Have you ever played golf? Paul/Ken,,,,,,,,,S

6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I only watch golf from the comfort of my Lazy Boy now, alas, but I actually played competitive golf in high school and college.

Don't want to brag, but at the school where I last taught, I was the golf coach, and my team won the New Mexico state tournament in 2003!

I also started a team at my previous school with my Navajo students--kids who had never touched a golf club before. That was very rewarding.

Have you ever played up there in Montana, Sis? I'll bet there are some magnificent golf courses up there.
  7. sisland

sisland New Member

I Have Never played Golf,,But certianly would enjoy learning how! Thats very impressive that your Team went to state in 2003!

Your a Man of Many Talents! I'm sure the Navajo students really liked it! Something New and different for them to Learn!

Saw a segment on the news last night about major league Baseball Being Started in China,,,,Some Big wig from the US is over there helping them getting it organized,,,,starting with the little leaguers

They are adaptedly Named the Tigers,,,,Lol ,,There is a Huge Indian Reservation south of here and Let me tell you,,,,The Kids can really Play sports well and of course not very good sportsman ship around the white kids!

let's just say they get their point across! Yes though there are a lge # of courses around ,,,now that you Mention it i was adding them all up in my Head! Ha!,,,,,Probably around 10 in the 50 mile radious or more!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There is one right inside the park at the west entrance too!,,,S
  8. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Well, thank you. I think you are a woman of many talents, too!
    Basketball was the big sport on the Navajo Nation. Our girls' basketball team was incredible, and their games were thrilling to watch. But it was a lot of fun starting a Navajo golf team as well.

I'll bet the course inside Glacier Park is goregous.
    Are you getting a chance to go into the park this summer?
  9. fivesue

fivesue New Member

We love the bicycle races, and of course, the Tour De France is the top.

But, the way the mountains wrecked havoc on the riders, the stage we watched on Saturday afternoon/evening PDT, was so confusing to watch. Riders were spread out all over the mt.

The crash that took out Michael R....can't remember his last name...was tragic. He looked so bad as he tried to continue the race. As we were traveling yesterday, didn't ge to hear just what happened to him.

Michael Rasmussen was amazing.

Levi...where are you? Need to watch tonight.

We were able to attend the tour of California and from our vantage, the riders came within a foot of us climbing a mountain. It was awesome. George Hincappie...what's happened to him? Levi, etc.

Glad to find some other fans...

Eager to watch tonight.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for the compliment Ken! I wish i were Talented enough to save alot of money to go Travel and do alot of the stuff i've always wanted to do!,,,,Darn DD!!

I Haven't made a trip up to the park yet this summer,,,Due to the Massive amount of Tourists and there is a 12,million $ Road construction project going on now on the sun rd!

They have a shuttle service now and it's a big hit! Because ,,,if your the Driver on the sun rd you miss alot of scenery Because you can't really take your eyes off the RD! Lolol,,,,,Duh! It's a free service from the Apgar village,,,

I usualy wait and go up in september (Less Traffic!),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sis

Sue~~~Wow your a True TDF fan! thats so cool you were so close to them ! My oldest girl Tanya is a Marathon participant The tri ones where its Bike,,,Run,,,Swim,,,,,She does it for fun,,,,,,,Where are you Now? Travelin' sue!,,,,,,,,,Lolol,,,Sis
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Story of my life right now.

Talked to architect, finalized electrical...plans very close to being ready for permits. It's been a long haul.

Daughter must be quite an husband is also quite an athlete even at age 60...he's a bicyclist...and very good.

Just love the tour...hope you get to visit your park soon. Dnag, 'dem tourists get in the way of a good time, don't they? (-:

Hope you're having a good week, too.

12. sisland

sisland New Member

Just stopping by to let you know that youtube has some neat video's of the race! Including Crashes!

If you type in Tour De France 2007 it will take you there! lots of fun to watch!

At least more than News Highlights!,,,,,,Sis
  13. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Did you guys see the stage race today? Wow...what an amazing finish. Michael Rasmussen seems to be unstoppable. It was an amazing race.

Also, the man in second place is only 24 and this is his first tour. Amazing.

Levi Liepheimer is really working to be on the podium in Paris. A few days ago, I thought he was out of it, but he must have had a game plan I didn't know about! (-:

What an exciting tour it has been. The mountains are over now.

Sad about the doping incident. I will be eager to hear about it tonight. I'm glad at least one sport is trying to clean itself up.

Anyway, if you want to see a tremendous race, watch today's race whenever you can. Amazing.

14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

It was a shock to see Vinokourov and the Astana team caught in the doping scandal (not another one!), but I've greatly enjoyed the race this year. I wish Versus would cover the controversies in more detail, like the French teams' sitting out in protest at the start of the stage today. I believe the only answer to cleaning up bike racing is a lifetime ban from racing if a rider is caught doping even once. A two-year suspension is too lenient. No more cheating!

But the race goes on, and how exciting to see Leipheimer and Contador challenge Rasmussen in the Pyrenees today. I hope Contador wins this year or next. I still think the Tour is the finest race in the world. And the best thing about the race, in my opinion: the awesome scenery.

[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2007]
  15. sisland

sisland New Member

As ken said The Race continues! Glad also to see Levi in 4th place as of yesterday! I only get to catch it on the news highlights so just trying to Keep caught up that way!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and they have some clips on youtube,,,

The guys that do the doping must think they are going to get away with it! (Not!),,,,They must have to do urine tests on them all everyday,,,?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes a lifetime Ban from the race is the only fair justice!,,,,,,,,,,,I Can't imagine the training they have to go through to do this Race! it lasts a long time!

I'm trying to remember what became of the guy last year that had that problem with the doping after the Race was over and he had won?,,,S
  16. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I just can't believe the last outting! Michal Rasmussen out on drug charges. I was watching today's stage when my husband came down and told me. I thought he was kidding.

Not. I guess he was found to be lying about where he was when he didn't take a pre-race drug testing session.

I applaud cycling for being committed to cleaing up the sport.

I'm just so disappointed in the whole thing. I also don't have a clue how these guys think they can get away with it.

So, Team Discovery Channel is looking really strong now. They were before, but now this rookie is leading the tour. Amazing.

I wonder what will happen tomorrow?

I agree, Ken...I would like to know more about these incidents, but VS is not reporting it in depth. I wonder if after the tour they will have a special on this.

Would love to see baseball do sickens me that Barry Bonds will probably pass Hank Aaron. I will never accept him as the homerun champ.

I remember the mood of the nation when Aaron was on the verge of breaking the just "ain't" the same.

Anyway, who knows what will happen during the last few days of the tour.

We'll hang in there and see...

[This Message was Edited on 07/26/2007]
  17. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I feel exactly the same way about Barry Bonds. For me, it doesn't feel like he's beating Hank Aaron's record at all.

Wasn't the expulsion of Rasmussen a shock? Sounds like before the race, he said he was in Mexico when really he was in the Italian Dolomites, training and probably injecting EPO.

I think cycling will survive this and will maybe finally clean up its act.

I just hope there are no more shocks before the last day in Paris!

But I'm still watching.
  18. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm still watching, too....and yes, what a shock yesterday was.

Cycling will survive. And, it will be better. The harm done to the bodies of people using enhancement drugs is so documented...and I just don't understand that mindset. Power, Prestigue, Money...probably all three.

Tomorrow's time trial ought to be very exciting. It looks, at this point, that Discovery team will do very well. But, who knows? I had thought that Liepheimer would be out of it by now; he just didn't seem to have the drive...WRONG I was. Saw him in the Tour of California...and saw George Hincappie...pretty amazing.

So, we will perservere. The Tour survived two world wars, the upheaval of the 60' will survive this latest setback and emerge better, I hope.

I'll check in with you tomorrow.

Have a great day.

19. sisland

sisland New Member

Do we Have a winner yet?
  20. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Alberto Contador, member of Discovery Team, first year Tour rookie.

Levi Leipheimer came in 3rd...Discovery Team won the team contest...

A great year for the team.

It was an interesting year what with the doping, etc. Don't understand why people take drugs when they are tested. Hopefully the measures taken this year will clean up this sport...I commend the bike racing organization for taking these steps.

Anyway, I will miss watching this race. Must wait 'til next year. I really like this to watch it. I am surprised. I like to watch basketball, but I love to watch bicycling.

Go figure.

Anyway, that's the news from France.