toxic food story to make you smile

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Our toxic world...

Yesterday my brother Dave almost caused an environmental emergency at work.

While driving his forklift, he accidentally backed up and punctured a barrel of glycol. It was a pinhole puncture, but the highly poisonois substance was oozing quickly out of the barrel and down toward a drainage grate - right for the city's water supply.

Dave acted quickly, jumping off the forklift and tipping the barrel to one side so that no more of the stuff would leak out. He yelled to his supervisor.

"Did any of the stuff go down the grate?" the supervisor demanded anxiously. If it had gone down, there would have been $500,000 of fines and cleanup. Glycol is so poisonois that it would have killed any wildlife that had any contact with the water in down the grate, and it's infamous for causing birth defects.

The supervisor breathed with relief when Dave told him that, no, none of the toxic ooze had gotten into Calgary's water supply, and that no haz-mat team would have to be called.

The worst thing that had happened was that one of Dave's buddies had unthinkingly touched the ooze to see what it was. Dave shouted, "Don't touch that stuff! Don't you know how TOXIC it is????" The man said, "oops," and wiped it off his fingers and onto his pants.

Later that night, after Dave came home from work, he told me the whole story, starting with, "Well, I almost got suspended without pay..." I was as relieved as he was that the situation had been contained. Dave expressed a chill as he told me about the unsafe conditions those barrels are stored in, and how easy it had been to drive right into one.

So with Dave back home and the world was safe for another day, everything was just fine. He even told me that he found a grocery store that carried his favorite brand of donuts.

I stared longingly at the donut package as he pulled it from the shopping bag. My eyes ran down the ingredients column.

"Dave?" I asked him, "What was that stuff again, that stuff at work in the barrels?"

"Glycol," Dave replied.

"It's in your donuts."

Somebody tell me: Why is there glycol in Dave's donuts????
    (((angry and confused))) ;) Shannon
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Especially toothpaste. Yikes.

Love Anne C
  3. lenaw70

lenaw70 New Member

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has determined propylene glycol to be "generally recognized as safe" for use in food, cosmetics, and medicines. Similar to ethylene glycol, propylene glycol affects the body's chemistry by increasing the amount of acid, potentially resulting in metabolic problems. However, larger amounts of the substance are needed to cause this effect. Eating or drinking very large amounts can result in death, while large amounts can result in nausea, convulsions, slurred speech, disorientation, and heart and kidney problems. Propylene glycol is considerably less toxic than ethylene glycol. This is because propylene glycol is metabolized by the body into lactic acid, which occurs naturally as muscles are exercised, while ethylene glycol is metabolized into oxalic acid, which is toxic.

Propylene glycol is used:

* as a moisturizer to maintain moisture in medicines, cosmetics, food, and tobacco products,
    * as a flavoring agent in Angostura and Orange bitters,
    * as a solvent for food colors and flavourings,
    * as a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520,
    * as a carrier in fragrance oils,
    * as a food grade antifreeze and in de-icing solutions
    * in smoke machines to make artificial smoke for use in firefighters' training and theatrical productions,
    * in hand sanitizers, antibacterial lotions,
    * as a main ingredient in many cosmetic products, including baby wipes, bubble baths, and shampoos.
    * is the primary ingredient in the "Paint" inside a Paintball (along with food grade dye for color)
    * is a common base ingredient used in aircraft deicing fluid
    * is sometimes used in cryonics

MUST CHECK INTO THIS FURTHER!!! WOW