"Toxic Mold" exposure and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Vette, Dec 10, 2002.

  1. Vette

    Vette New Member

    Hi to all, I have just checked old messages on Mold Exposure and have myself been trying to find a link to my own "Toxic Mold Exposure" and after treatments for that (Immune Globulin I.V. x 32 doses) being given a diagnosis of FMS. I have been out of my mold infested (Stachy, Penicillium, Aspergillus,etc.) office for over a year now and unable to work since that time. Class Action Lawsuit pending as the owners and the people leasing the building space were aware of the existence and the employees were not told. Aside from sick building syndrome and the ails it causes, while going from Dr. to Dr. I had allergy test and was found to be highly allergic to all molds. Now I am very sensitive to odors, dim lighting and some sounds along with the whole gammit of FMS symptoms. A couple of people in our offices already had FMS, not myself, and say their symptoms worsened during the years they worked in that flat roof leakey building. Anyone else start out with mold exposure ??

    Thanks, Vette
  2. Vette

    Vette New Member

    Hi to all, I have just checked old messages on Mold Exposure and have myself been trying to find a link to my own "Toxic Mold Exposure" and after treatments for that (Immune Globulin I.V. x 32 doses) being given a diagnosis of FMS. I have been out of my mold infested (Stachy, Penicillium, Aspergillus,etc.) office for over a year now and unable to work since that time. Class Action Lawsuit pending as the owners and the people leasing the building space were aware of the existence and the employees were not told. Aside from sick building syndrome and the ails it causes, while going from Dr. to Dr. I had allergy test and was found to be highly allergic to all molds. Now I am very sensitive to odors, dim lighting and some sounds along with the whole gammit of FMS symptoms. A couple of people in our offices already had FMS, not myself, and say their symptoms worsened during the years they worked in that flat roof leakey building. Anyone else start out with mold exposure ??

    Thanks, Vette
  3. shannon

    shannon Guest

    That is how mine all started in the first place. I was a very very healthy person. I hardly ever got sick and was very active. then we moved into a home that started to get some mold. I was sick here and their but never thought it was the mold doing it. Then we moved into a home in the country that had mold everywhere in the basement and I had to wipe the windows down weekly because of the mold. Then I started to get very very ill. I lost 45 lbs in 1 month and was always in the doctors office and being rushed by the ambulance to the hospital. This all happened withen 1 month of living in that home. They did every test known to man thinking I must have had cancer due to the drastic weight loss and how ill I was becomming. They of course found nothing. Then they put me in the Hospital for 1 week to run a bunch more tests and I started to feel better then the doc asked if our home had mold and when I said alot he would not discharge me unless we found a new home. So we did find a place to rent that day. I have not gotton as sick as I was then but I now am always hurting in the mucles and have never been the same since.
  4. achy

    achy New Member

    I worked for the american red cross...the office was on the second floor of the courthouse. The roof leaked so bad water would pour out the holes in the cieling tiles. I always had plaster dust on my desk. The windows had a black.green mold around them. We even had mice!
    I have asthma too so the mold didn't help it either.
    I had finally had enough one damp rainy day...the whold building smelled stale, then we could smell a dead rat smell coming out of the fieling. I left the building and never went back. My asthma has been much better. My docs say they can't prove that is what got me sick, but I wasn't sick when I started working there....
    Warm fuzzies
    Achy
  5. amilyne

    amilyne New Member

    i lived with my dad from the time that i was 13 and our basement was really moldy..water would flood in every spring and the bottom of the sheetrock was rotting-- it had that greenish black mold as well..and for the longest time i have been wondering about the hospital that i work in..there are some floors that just really make me sneeze but then after im here for a few hours im ok so maybe not..but my dads house definately has mold and it was in my bedroom which was that room in the basement plus before that im sure the carpet was reallly bad.(i put new carpet in when i took over that room)

    -ami
  6. Sandyz

    Sandyz New Member

    Our old farm house we lived in for 12 years had a lot of
    mold. The basement had really bad mold. We had to run a sump pump from April till October ever year to get rid of the water that came in.

    We finally built a new home 2 years ago. I don`t think the
    mold caused my fm but it certainly made it worse.

    I wish I could say my health improved since moving into the
    new home but it hasn`t.
  7. hissyfit

    hissyfit New Member

    Hi, Vette, I am new to this board, and read your post with a lot of interest. I had a run in with Aspergillus when I was in Arizona several years back, long after I found out that I had FMS. The mold settled in my left lung and resulted in having to have the top half of it removed. I know if affects everyone different, but keep your chest Xrays current. This stuff can be nasty to have, especially when you have to worry about the fibro also.
  8. Vette

    Vette New Member

    Lady, am sorry to hear you also had mold exposure. I have Hypothyroidism and did previous to the toxic mold, but after exposure it really went out of whack and had been controlled by Synthroid for many years until then. It took a few months of changing strengths to get it back up to normal range. Several of the other employees at the office became hypothyroid who had never been and three of them developed goiters with one becoming so large this lady had to have surgery. Many symptoms of Mold exposure are same as with Fibromyalgia, I have improved with treatment but not enough to work, drive or do the things I use to do. There are very few MD's who work in this field and most Docs who don't either poo poo it or don't want to get involved. I live in Texas and there is a specialist in Houston, Dr. Andrew Campbell....also one in New York, Dr. Echart Johanning Maybe you should look in to it. These Dr's are pricey but my Cigna covered mine. Also, you can't get rid of mold coming through walls just by cleaning with bleach as that is usually a sign that there is a leak behind the wall / roof and the enemy is just bleeding through there. Often the wall / walls must be removed and much renovation done, timbers replaced etc. Good luck to you and your husband. Toxlaw.com is a good chat site with some anti-mold believers causing some trouble but you just skip over that.
    Vette