tragedy in Conn.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by freida, Dec 14, 2012.

1. freida

freida Active Member

wow....it's so tragic what happenned there, today.

i feel so badly for those people.

Leah
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My DD called and she was so upset. My DGS is only 7. It's bad enough when adults are killed but to lose a small child to a senseless killing is beyond any pain.

Again, it's time to get rid of assault weapons and large clips and improve background checks.

I hope that, finally, politicians stand up to the NRA and pass some laws with teeth in them. We can't stop all shootings but we can make some commonsense attempts.

I've been praying for those families.

Love, Mikie
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

of RootsAction and they have a major petition going now...enough is enough with all the vagueness.

Good grief, I never did this before but went looking on line and one can bid for/buy guns online.... <br

Now, I'm hearing the shooter had Aspergers, I don't care what he had, control has to happen...People need to get really really MAD and push this issue.[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2012]
  4. jole

jole Member

All assault/semi-automatic guns should be banned. They are not needed for protection or hunting animals. Simple hand guns and rifles are more than sufficient.

Unfortunately, most of these shooters are not the owners of the guns they use, so more stringent controls probably won't help.

States are losing more funding for Mental Health.....and there are a lot of not-so-qualified MH employees, in my opinion. Either way, the mental health issue needs to be addressed. Most of these shooters have had strong indications in the past. It's a tragedy for their families as well.

I can't possibly fathom what these parents are going through tonight, and what holes in their hearts they will have forever. An entire community devistated all because of one person.......
  5. jaminhealth

WHY did this dead mother owned 3 assult weapons? This is blowing my mind totally...and hearing on tv that CT is a pretty strong gun control state.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

that Aspergers could be dangerous. The shooter is the right age
    for schizophrenia. Schizophrenics often stop taking their meds because
    they say the drugs "mess with their heads". Hospitalization
    is too expensive. The government closed most mental hospitals
    in the 70s, I think. Georgia could probably tell us more about that.

This kind of thing never happened when I was young. The first such
    event I can recall was in the mid 60s. The Texas tower shooting at
    the U. of Texas.

Rock
  7. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

Why would she have assault weapons?????
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are not legal to sell in Conn. but if the gun were bought before this law was enacted, it was grandfathered in. People with Asperger's are not usually violent but this young man evidently had a personality disorder. Those can be mild to severe. I can understand a woman's having one or two handguns but an assault weapon, especially with a son with mental problems? What are people thinking? Why make it easy for a kid with mental problems to get his hands on guns, especially an assault weapon. I think a lot of parents are in total denial. One of the Columbine shooters was building pipe bombs in the family home basement. His clueless-looking mother said she had no idea he was building bombs. I looked in my kids' rooms when they were in high school. I didn't snoop in provate things but I had a general idea what they were into. I met all their friends as well. If one of them had been spending time in the basement, I would know why. I'm not blaming the parents but I definitely think they were remiss.

As Dr. Drew said, I keep cycling between numbness, sadness and anger. I have a hard time just wrapping my mind around the pain of having a child murdered in such a tragic and senseless way. The families of these kids, and the kids who survived, will never be the same. There are things in life which one never gets past. I think of my own kids when they were small. I think of my DGS who is so alive, bright and creative. He's also a nice kid who befriends his classmates and is so well liked. He's strong and athletic. I'm sure the same can be said for these little kids who were murdered.

I pray that God can send comfort, love and peace to the families but right now, I doubt that there is anything which will comfort them. My heart is breaking.

Love, Mikie
  9. jaminhealth

as so many of these shooters are on some form of mind altering drugs, this latest shooter also played video games, no surprise there, and the out of control GUN access.

A horrible horrible sign of the times.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The obvious gaps in laws, like the gunshow loophole, and assault weapons with large clips can be addressed with laws if the lawmakers finally break loose of the NRA's grip. Here in FL, one cannot buy a gun at a gun show and take it unless one has a permit to carry. The permit means one has already had the background check done. If one does not have a permit, the gun will be sent to a local gun store where the background check is done and the buyer can pick it up in three days. Problem is that there are always guys out in the parking lot selling guns directly to anyone who can buy them. This needs to be stopped. Same with online selling.

The second thing we need to address is help for mental illness and those who suffer from them. My DD is the head nurse at an outclinic for addicts and those with mental problems. Their budget is so low that they are stretched thin but the need, especially around the holidays, is so great. She, and others who do this work, are my heros and heroines but the burnout rate is so high. I worry for her own mental health, dealing with such problems in others.

Finally, I have to wonder why our country has more incidences of these shooting tragedies than others. It isn't just the easy availability of guns. There was a horrific shooting in the Netherlands at a camp for children. It's one of the largest shootings on record. Still, it happens here too often. One tragedy is one too many. I think we need to examine our values and our whole social and economic system. If it takes two parents to work, there is almost no time for the kids. Do both work because they need to or because they need to pay for their new cars and big house? Do both work because they love their work and spent years training for it? Not everyone can afford for one parent to stay home. Some families with two working parents make the kids a priority and juggle it all beautifully. Still, I think the message in our society is that we can, and should, have it all.

I think the larger the gap becomes between the ultra wealthy and the needy, the worse things will become. When there is a large and strong middle class, most families live in similar situations. There isn't such a feeling of deprivation. All we see are ads for designer clothing, high-end homes and flashy cars. The rich and famous are held up as the ideal. Electronic games and gadgets seem to be a necessity for everyone. How many kids walk around feeling like everyone else has more?

I don't think our value system is directly responsible for anger and violence but I also think it feeds into the equation. I saw on TV a woman who writes popular books for kids. She takes the profits and gives away books to homeless kids. She drives around in a bus to do her work. The kids love her. One little boy, whose family is crowded into a motel room, was ecstatic when he got books. Just making sure kids love to learn and read can go a long way toward helping them succeed. God bless this woman (unfortunately, I didn't get her name).

I gave a Kindle Fire to my DGS for Christmas because he doesn't like to read books but will read on a tablet or iPhone. He can also play games on it. This may seem like a contradiction to what I've written here. I don't think living poor is the answer. I do think lifting those in poverty is. I'm not talking about making generations dependent on govt. handouts. I'm talking about giving to people who, through no fault of their own, need a hand up.

Every "expert" on TV has said this is a very complex problem. It has only gotten more complex because nothing has been done to address problems at their core. It is a BIG job but I do believe, as a society, we are up to it. Every little thing we can do as individuals helps but we need bigger help through our schools, our religious entities, private industries, and at the state and federal levels in govt. The best programs have been cooperative ones between these sectors. We have some very creative and intelligent minds which could be put to work if we were to really want to solve our problems. It needn't be at the expense of profits. Profits rise when society is secure.

OK, this my "W&P" on the subject. If I can come up with a few thoughts, why can't the powers that be come up with some solutions? We need to demand it in a voice which is louder than the lobbiests'.

Love, Mikie
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I agree that there is no reason for anyone but the military to have assaut weapons. IF that is what was used, what was the mother doing with these weapons. I know some of the weapons were form the mother, but not sure if they were of the assaut type. What was the reason the mom had a lot of weapons and where were they kept ??? Were they locked up in any way?? There are so many quetions !!!!

The thing almost worse than guns are those very violent video games. I have thought about that for some time and just heard some psychiatrist talking about them on the TV. We have all become desensitized to any kind of violence and this is being sold to our young people , many of whom already have problems..

Gotta run to church now. This is so terribly sad.

Love
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2012]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

From what was on TV, the mom had other guns, including another assault weapon. She was described as a "survivalist." I don't know how much is accurate as it's still so early.

The frontal lobe in boys isn't fully developed until into their 20's. It controls impulse. I wonder just what effect that violence in games and movies has on them. Can they determine the difference between games and reality?

Responsible people with guns, like me, pray to never have to use it to defend themselves. Having to shoot another person is a horrible thing, even in self-defense. It is expensive because one almost always has to hire an atty. to avoid legal problems and law suits from the family of the deceased. If one has to shoot an intruder, the home is forever defiled. I can't imagine living there after a shooting. The smell of gunfire and blood would remain forever in one's mind. Guns solve nothing except to save one's life if put in that situation with no other alternatives. As you can see, I've definitely throught this through. I would hope other with guns would do the same. Sadly, not enough do.

I enjoy movies with violence as long as it isn't just violence for violence sake. If the movie has redeeming aspects, I will enjoy it but I definitely know the difference between movies and reality. I would hope others do too. Still, I have to wonder about young men (women rarely do these mass shootings) who have anger or mental issues with little impulse control. Most of these shootings are planned out so it usually isn't just an issue of snapping. Still, I think impusle control plays a role.

I hope this is the "tipping point" which causes action. We could, at least, honor these little ones and their loved ones, by doing what we can to try to stop another shooting spree.

Love, Mikie
  13. jaminhealth

I'm one of those too, but without an arsenal of weapons. I thought of keeping a baseball bat behind my door, but don't own a bat and don't want to spend my $$$ on a bat....

Lots of interesting, unusual, strange, scarey, people out there...
    [This Message was Edited on 12/16/2012]
  14. jaminhealth

and lots of talk on the killings/guns....then John Lennon came up with his song Imagine.....(moderators, can I print the lyrics)....

I've signed 3 petitions already to get this gun issue under "some" control.....
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

However, not sure I want all the guns (regular ones, not assault rifles)removed from the hands of all the people. Then, just all the bad ones (people) will just have guns and we will have nothing if we have to try and deafend ourselves. As I mentioned not sure I could even shoot one but I want the option and so does my DH. He has used on in the service, years ago.

There needs to much tougher guidelines or questions to be asked to the person applying to get a gun. They need lots of proof to show they have not had any mental health issues, plus prior prision arrests, etc. I know it may take some time to get a system and others can probably lie on forms or get forged information or documents, etc. but we have got to try and do something. I don't think keeping the hands from lawbiding citizens is a good thing for many reasons.

Hugz and blessings,
    Granni
  16. jaminhealth

to have any gun in my possession....I've lived 74 yrs very well without and am not going to start now. This is me.

I had a husband for a while and no gun in our life.

I've had b/f's and no guns in our lives....

So, it's all in our minds and what we think we need.

They could all be taken away as far as I'm concerned and even stop all military stuff, again my pacifists mind feels this way.
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

there have been weapons and wars, and guns and spears, etc. etc, since the beginning of time. I wish we could do without them and that there would be PEACE on EARTH and I would be more than thrilled. However, I do not think that is ever going to happen. At least I am pretty sure that I won't be there to see it, I am sure !!

Others like to have guns for sport and that is their view. Not sure I could shoot anything but my grandsons do. My granddaughter can shoot also but not sure she has shot anything.

I could go on but that is it and how I feel too. I think we all have to be realistic and what is going on in the country and world we live in today, and it is not peaceful, to say the least. That is not because we have guns in our lives either. .

That's it for me !!

Gotta run and fix dinner !

Hugz and blessings to all,
    Granni
  18. jaminhealth

guns have no place in my life. Many don't feel like me, and many do.

Oh, just thinking about survivalist definition and being a survivor...

The former is gearing up for any natural disaster, political upheavel, etc....that's not where I come from. Similar to the "preppers"...

Surviror, I am..[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2012]
  19. mbofov

mbofov Member

First, yes, absolutely, assault weapons should be banned. But I don't think it's the whole story.

Anti-depressants can cause violence, suicide and murder. Dylan Klebold of Columbine was on one called Luvox (after switching from Zoloft). See http://psychiatricfraud.org/2011/04/the-real-lesson-of-columbine-psychiatric-drugs-induce-violence/

The article relates how in 2004, the FDA issued a Public Health Advisory warning of hostility, impulsivity, hypomania and psychosis (among other symptons) in adults and children who were taking antidepressants.

It also describes several mass murders and suicides committed by persons taking A-Ds. Persons with no previous history of violence or aggression have turned into murderers or committed suicide while on these drugs, often within a very short time. It is insane.

Here’s another link to the top ten violence-inducing drugs. Eight of them are “antidepressants”:
    http://psychiatricfraud.org/2011/01/study-reveals-top-ten-violence-inducing-prescription-drugs-%e2%80%93-eight-are-psychiatric-drugs/

There's a ton of documented info out there about the dangers of prescription ADs and their link to violence, murder and suicide. But the story is not being told.

I would bet 100 to one that the Connecticut killer was on some type of A-d drug.

There are safe alternatives.

I don't think a ban on assault weapons is enough. The story of the potential dangers of ADs is not being told and desperately needs to be told. Perhaps the murders of those 20 children might finally spur a real investigation into the role of ADs and all this violence.

Mary

[This Message was Edited on 12/17/2012]
  20. mbofov

mbofov Member

He was on SNL in the 1990's, did a great Bill Clinton impersonation.

He was murdered by his wife who was on zoloft (I believe she'd only been on it a short while), and then she killed herself.

His estate was contemplating suing the manufacturer of Zoloft, but I don't know if the lawsuit went through.

ADs are such huge business, I don't know if anyone would have the guts or the resources to take them on.

And again, there are many very safe alternatives that are very effective that work without making you suicidal or homicidal.

Mary