Tramadol - interesting!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Janalynn, May 27, 2009.

1. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Interesting, I know many people here take Tramadol. I tried it a couple of years ago and unfortunately didn't help me much.
    BUT... we took our little 20 lb dog to the vet, she has some arthritis and obviously pain in her bag legs.
    The vet prescribed Tramadol! Said it was very effective for dogs. I said, I think my Mom has some left over can we use that. (sort of jokingly) and she said, sure but then your Mom's dr. will wonder why she's going through it - I said, "yeah, the ol' dog ate it, probably wouldn't fly"

Anyway, she is rx'ed 25 mgs twice a day. That seemed like a lot since adults take 50 mgs.

We have noticed that her legs are more flexible and she's not as stiff. Her little legs were always just trembling. That has calmed some.
    Thought that was interesting. She was also rx's a low dose anti-inflammatory. She said the Tramadol is much safer for her as the other can effect her liver enzymes.

So - if you have a dog in pain - ask your VET about this!
    Just wanted to share!
  2. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

thanks for posting that information. Glad your dog is feeling better.

I have been on tramadol for almost a year now and it helps me to be able to
    function .

Have a good day, gentle hugs, Susan
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Very interesting about the Tramadol!,,so glad that it has helped your dog!,,,It works well for me too!,,have heard latley that the meds that get prescribed for man's best friend are very close to if not the same as human prescriptions!,,,,,,even have heard that some Vets will prescribe an anti-depressant for Dogs!,,,,,,,,Sis
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Pansy, so glad that you're getting relief from Tramadol - it makes so much difference when we find something to help us function and LIVE life!

Sis - I have heard that before about prescribing certain "human" meds to dogs - especially those with severe anxiety. Kind of sad that a dog would need a anti-depressant. That breaks my heart.

I was just so surprised and also at the dose that was prescribed. When we first gave it to her, I thought either she's thinking "yea! I don't hurt" or "why the heck do I feel this way!"

Vet did tell me that Tramadol is getting very close to becoming a controlled substance - they're finding more and more people abusing. What does it feel like when you take it? do you feel weird? just curious.
    I didn't feel anything.
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

My poor doggie is on anti inflammatory and still not doing well

She did take Tramadol after surgery and it made her NASTY, so I am afraid to try it
    I am already NASTY from the pain :)
  6. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Janalynn when I first took Tramadol almost a year ago I did get a slight dizzy feeling but
    I haven't gotten that in a long time.

The only other thing that I get sometimes is energy~ not sure why this happens but it does~ and it's a good energy since I'm usually so fatigued.

That is sad to hear that people are abusing tramadol , there were some days in the winter
    when I managed not to take it every day which was great but now that spring is here and
    I'm busier and more stressed I find that I need it everyday at least once.

How is your dog doing?

Gentle hugs, Susan

7. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

is considered a controlled substance in Kentucky now. they scheduled it a few months ago. that surprised me, because when i was prescribed it, it did not produce any type of euphoric feeling, no pain relief either.

i believe my sister told me they were getting ready to do the same thing in Florida.
  8. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

So glad you posted this.

I have a 175 lb. Mastiff and she has arthritis in her legs. a while back i had read about Tramadol good for arthritis with dogs. i'm giving her over counter arthritis dog supplements.

That's wonderful Tramadol has made improvement , not as stiff for your dog.
    Do i have this right? your dog 20 pounds and 25mg tramadol twice daily ?

Thanks again for sharing this info, anything to make your pet comfortable is good knowledge, arthritis is miserable.

9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My sweetie pie has only been on it about a week - she's acting fine, no change in appetite etc. so that's good.
    She also takes a low dose anti-inflammatory. The tramadol is really for the pain associated with her arthritis.

yes, you have it right butterfly - 25 mgs twice a day (well every 8-12 hrs) and she's just 20 lbs!

We knew she was in pain because her back legs would just quiver/shake/tremble uncontrollably. Awful to witness. Vet says it's not neurological after she examined her, so the pain can cause that. (My legs shake when they hurt really bad)

I'm just so in love with this little girl! She is my Mom's dog, but we've had her for months and will be keeping her since Mom can't take care of her right now, before that we had her for months at a time as well. She is quite attached to us- as we are to her!

We went through a horrible time with our old dog that we eventually had to put to sleep. She had severe arthritis, then the meds she was taking was effecting her liver. Other problems as well, but I'm keeping a close eye on her liver enzymes.

I was just so surprised and relieved to be able to give her something to make her more comfortable!