Tramadol( Ultram) question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pansygirl, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I was at my GP doctor visit today and he gave me a prescription for Tramadol(Ultram) 50 mg to take for my FM pain.
    Anyone taking this? I'm curious what types of side effects different people may have. Do you take it with food? I haven't taken any yet as my pain is manageable today~ Thanks for any suggestions.

take care, Susan
  2. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I don't have any side effects but then I have a cast iron stomach :). You can take it without food unless you are really sensitive to all meds. The only side effect I have is dry mouth but I take quite a bit. I take it daily with Celebrex and for the most part it manages my pain.
  3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Is 50 mg a good starting dose for this pain med?? And my doctor said I could take up to 3 a day .

Thanks for letting me how it is helping you, I appreciate the comments.
    I worry about pain meds since I get very sick when I take demoral or codiene so that is why I'm worried . I know this is different but I still worry. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
  4. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

The maximum number of 50mg tramadol recommended in a day is 8. I confess to taking more. Depending on your level of pain and your susceptibility to medication, a 50 mg tablet might be enough. My ex-fiance takes one daily and it takes care of his pain, but he's also a wimp when it comes to meds :)

Tramadol is sometimes mistakenly classified as a non-opioid analgesic, because its abuse liability is lower than that of other opioids and because it has multiple mechanisms of action (including, but not limited to mu-opioid activity).
    It is not a controlled substance in the US, although there is a push towards that. I hope not because it is easier to convince a doctor to give that. And if you go to the ER for pain, they immediately assume you are looking for drugs and that is ALL they'll give you. Right now I'm battling for something stronger for pain until I can get to the pain management doctor.

Just like all other medications, it works for some and not for others. My doctor prescribes 1-2 every 4-6 hours for pain: maximum 8 in 24 hrs.
  5. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Thanks for the extra information Texan.
    Even though I say my pain is manageable( the pain wasn't that bad earlier in the day.....:( I have a bad headache and my shoulder and back pain is I think I may go ahead and give it a try. I've been in pain since April with no relief(except the swimming pool) so if it even helps a little I think I'll be happy.

My doctor also gave me the FM diagnosis today and I had more blood work done today to rule out a few more things that I hadn't been tested for yet , just don't want to leave anything out.

I appreciate everyone's input.
    take care, Susan
  6. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I got the FM diagnosis about 3 weeks ago. I think I've been battling this for about 2 1/2 years. I have had constant pain on my lower right side, back, sciatic and "upper butt" area for literally years. I've woken up many, many mornings with the phrase "boy I really hurt today". I assumed it was normal for someone my age - 48. I have learned it isn't!

I hope it helps you! Right now I'm trying to negotiate something stronger for the weekend until I get to the pain mgmt doctor, but I'm not terribly hopeful.
  7. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Texan ~ I hope you are able to find something that helps you with your pain over the weekend ~ When do you see the pain management doctor? Is it soon?
    I know my pain has increased since this all started in april and I'm hoping it will level off but I'm not sure if it works that way since I'm so new to this.

Susan :)
  8. simonedb

simonedb Member

was too sticky w/ my brain chem, messed up sleep for months after just a week of it, its not beneign
    liked it first few days a lot for pain but then got turned around & looked super high on it......
    I was taking it daily though, did they say you could take it as needed? that might have been interesting to see if not as sticky if just now and then.
    I went back to darvon instead.
    which I want to go off now to try LDN, but thats anther thread...
  9. hatbox121

hatbox121 New Member

I'm on ultram too. I've been taking them for awhile. I was prescribed them by my pain mgmt dr. though. I have SI joint dysfunction along with herineated discs and 4 broken ribs. I have to take alot of tylenol with them plus my lidoderm patch and my lyrica. They don't do a whole lot for the pain but it does take the edge off. I don't have any side effects. I take them with or without food depending on what time I take them. I only take them at work. I take mine every 8 hrs. with tylenol every 4 hrs. and it doesn't bother me either way.
  10. Mwitherite

Mwitherite New Member

I take 2x50mg three times a day. I too confess to taking more, but also less, depending on the day, you know. I had my doubts at first and asked the people here for info just like you.. I'm glad I did. I take it on an empty stomach with a soda about 1/2 hour before I plan on putting my feet on the floor. There are days I need 3x50mg first thing in the morning but then no more all day. At first take it as directed and then if you find you need less, awesome.

Best regards,

Oh yea.. I take it with rapid action tylenol. Helps it work.[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
  11. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

I underestimated my PCP. Once she found out I had a legit FM dx AND a legit appt. with the pain mgmt doc (next Friday, the 11th, Susan) she called in some Vicodin for me - 7.5. My right lower back side and stabbing pain are starting to ease up now.

I have days where the Ultram/celebrex is all I need. However, if I have something stronger, I can get moving a lot quicker in the morning and get to work. I feel better too since it does affect my mood. On the one hand that is a good thing, but on the other hand I have that history with them. I seem to take them 'normally' now that I am legitimatly in pain, but I want to be careful. It isn't that I want them all the time, it is that I want to have access to them (or a doc who will prescribe/refill) without a hassle.

Many docs will tell you that Ultram isn't addicting. They are wrong. If you take it on a regular basis you will have withdrawal nearly like coming off codeine. Even if the Ultram doesn't give you a warm, fuzzy, high feeling, the body does get habituated and you have to come off slowly.

If I am to suffer with this forever, then I have no intention of coming off of it, but it is just an FYI for people you might know who take it short term thinking they won't get addicted. In fact, I have been taking this for years for my back and I think that is why I have been able to go this long without searching for a dx. I was inadvertantly treating my FM when I just thought it was a bad back! I am sure the pain would have been as overwhelming as the fatigue if I hadn't been taking it.
  12. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Tramadol and have no side effects which is unusual for me and does not make me feel "high" at all.

I take two 50mgs. up to three times per day. Sometimes, but very rarely I add Tylenol, as long as you do not exceed the maximum dosage for either. You are not suppose to take both at the same time.

The only time it has not worked for me was in a recent flare. I was put on Darvocet which numbed the pain for maybe two hours. Then I was put on an anti inflammatory drug and my flare pretty much cleared up.

Narcotic medications do not help with my FM pain which can be kind of common with FM. But each of us reacts differently to meds.

I am not sure if inflammation was playing a part my flare or if the flare would have calmed down anyway. I have a feeling the drug did help as my blood tests showed inflamtion.

But I did want to emphasize for the poster above, sorry cannot remember who, that my pharmacist said 400 mgs. and above can cause liver damage in only ten days.

Take care, GA
  13. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Hi , I took my first dose tonight with dinner as my stomach tends to be sensitive. That was about 7 and so far I only got dizzy a little for a couple of minutes and it went away and my brain/head does feel a bit fuzzy but not too bad. It didn't take all the pain away but it knocked it down to a level I can handle of which I'm very happy about.
    Texan ~ that is wonderful news that your doctor listened and everything worked out for you to get some pain relief until you can see the pain management doctor. I'd like to know how that goes for you~ :)

Thanks to all that have posted their comments ~ it is very helpful to hear how the same medicine can effect each person differently.

Take care, Susan :)
  14. poets

poets Member

Please.......anyone of you who take Ultram. Be careful. My niece was taking it for ovarian cysts. She was in terrible pain and when it didn't do what she'd hoped, she got up in the night and took too much. She overdosed and died. She left behind a three year old son.

The doctor had told her it was safe and she didn't realize that she could overdose that easily, because he told her it wasn't a narcotic. It may not be an opiate but it can be dangerous. Please be careful not to take more than is prescribed for you.

15. jmq

jmq New Member

I take it daily....wish I did not have to. It does not take the pain completely away but it definitely helps. I have never had any bad effects from it but it does take awhile to work. I find that if I take it as soon as I works. If I wait until I have pain...then it takes forever to kick in. I also find that taking a break from it for a day or two helps it work better. I think u can build up a resistance to it.
  16. msSusan

msSusan Member

I occasionally take 1-2/50mg before midday because it makes me VERY hyper. I tend to overdue things on the days I take it and have trouble sleeping that night. Also severe constipation!

I'm able to do things because of being hyper but don't get much pain relief.
  17. JoFMS

JoFMS New Member

I take tramadol 50mg one capsule at 8.30am on an empty stomach and one at 11.30am. The reason I take it on a empty stomach is just beacuse I dont have time to make breakfast before or fell up to making breakfast unless i've had my tramadol. Its prob best with food for the stomach tho.

I used to take tramacet but think it caused me big headaches so now I just take tramadol.

This drug is a lifesaver for me. I have been on it over 18months and to be honest can't see me ever getting off it!

I used to take one a day in the begining but then had to take 2 as the pain got so bad when it wore off.

The only downside is I would ideally not to like to be on pain meds at all. It does also give me dry mouth and prob plays havoc iwth my stomach but for the relief it gives me - its worth it. I just hope I dont have to increase it agin. I find sometimes if Im relaxed it gives me a nice sedative efffect. It seems to work best if taken beofre the pain kicks in too bad.
  18. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I take this as well and it has been a lifesaver.

Like others, taken before pain gets out of control, it works. Otherwise, it's like popping jelly beans.

It is an atypical opiod narcotic - due to it's less addictive nature, it is not a controlled substance (couldn't remember that word).

But it does interact with some drugs so talk to your pharmacist or doctor to review your list.

I do know that Tramadol can cause seizures in some people at higher doses. Taking flexeril with tramadol will lower the seizure threshold.

I am not allowed to take more than 4 a day due to the seizure risk. I think if you need more than 4, then switching to a stronger drug where you only take 1 would be beneficial.

For those on high doses, please be careful.