Tramadol vs Ultram ER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fmandy, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I usually take 2 or 3 plain 50 mg tramadol tablets for pain when I get up in the mornings. They do not make me sleepy or drowsy at all. They just help relieve some of my back pain, or make it bearable.

This month I have ran a bit short. My SIL has had 3 back surgeries and has sciatica, and takes pain meds. She gave me some Ultram ER, or 200 mg Tramadol HCL extended release. I cannot believe the difference! I can't stay awake....at all.

Can anyone comment on the difference other than the dosage? I have taken 200 mg of plain or regular tramadol in a short period of time before and it never made me sleepy.

The only thing I am also doing differently is taking some heart/high BP medicines in the morning instead of at night.

Thanks very much in advance.

Now I must sleep :)

Andy
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

It has been years since I have taken either of them. They did nothing to help my pain at the time. I was always told that when you take those meds you need to take them before the pain is really bad. Since most days my pain is really bad they would not have helped me at all.

I am glad to hear that they work for some people as I have had to go to the stronger narcoitics to get pain relief.

~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  3. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Hi Fmandy
    The Ultram salespeople must be pushing the CR version this month, my (now former) PC gave me 3 sample bottles because I needed a refill. I usually take 50mg tabs first thing a.m. just to be able to get out the door walking becuase of pain.

[May I mention here my doc has been telling me, take 'em as you need them, their NON OPIATEs. According to my presciption company they ARE opiates and they will no longer mail them under any circumstances, even tho I'm prescribed as a 'maintenance' med. So, they are or aren't opiates, can someone refer me to a clear site that clears this up?]

The Ultram CR samples were useless, even tho its still 100mg in one tab rather than 2 50mg, for some reason the effect on pain is NOT at all the same. So they're stored for emergency use only.
  4. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Thanks to both of you for responding :)

Rosemarie that hug was the best thing I have felt all day! This has been a tough day for me. One I do not won't to repeat...

Didoe, I know what you mean about narcotic vs non-narcotic. All it says on the pharm site that I use is that tramadol is a synthetic opiate or opioid. Oh gee, kill me with info would ya.....Ha ha ha.

I per chanced a site called Opioids, Past, Present and Future, about 2 months ago. It is really strange, it tis. It seems to be a collection of writings by some very intelligent and highly educated British people. I marked it as a favorite, because it mention tramadol as a synthetic type of codeine. That was the first I had heard of this.

I have not been back to read any, but I will post you the address to this web site. It is not for profit and others might like to read it.

I plan on experimenting tomorrow. I am going to dissolve one Ultram ER in a small amount of coca cola. The coating is what makes it time released or so it says on a pharm web site. I am going to draw some up into a liquid syringe and take a bit and see if it acts like my regular tramadol.

When I say "syringe", I am talking about something without a needle, lol. Something you measure liquids with...

Blessings to all,

Andy
  5. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

"If we could sniff or swallow something that would, for five or six hours each day, abolish our solitude as individuals, atone us with our fellows in a glowing exaltation of affection and make life in all its aspects seem not only worth living, but divinely beautiful and significant, and if this heavenly, world-transfiguring drug were of such a kind that we could wake up next morning with a clear head and an undamaged constitution - then, it seems to me, all our problems (and not merely the one small problem of discovering a novel pleasure) would be wholly solved and earth would become paradise."

ALDOUS HUXLEY
    1894 - 1963

Here is what it said about tramadol and/or ultram:

"Even the humble codeine analogue tramadol (Ultram), a selective partial mu agonist analgesic with noradrenaline and serotonin reuptake inhibiting properties, can serve as a useful mood-brightening stopgap."

http://opioids.com/
  6. Didoe

Didoe New Member

After I stopped laughing, I thought you might like to know the site and quote u posted are by A. Huxley who is notable as a very brilliant resarcher and writer who spent many years experimenting and hwith drugs, his research and writing was very effected by opiates and mesc that he tried. This wasn't unusual for writers in the early 20th century, it had a fashionable cache, like cigarette smoking and absinthe.
    Anyone olde enough to remember absinthe? I thought not.
  7. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

I just remember him as an author. Didn't he write "Animal Farm"?