Tramadol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gigio, Jul 31, 2006.

1. gigio

gigio New Member

Hello all,
    I took tramadol back in March and it worked really well for about 6 weeks, then it stopped working. I debating trying it again because I have been taking Vicodin since and I worry about addiction. Has any one else had this happen with Tramadol?
    Thanks for your time.
    Gigi
  2. yuckie

yuckie New Member

I've been on Tramadol for almost 2 years and have not had a problem with it's effectiveness. I have a friend that did have this problem though and she went off of them. About 6 months later during a bad flare she tried them again and they are working like a charm. Sorry I can't help you more but I noticed that your post was getting ready to fall to the 2nd page and I wanted to make sure more people had a chance to see your question and maybe respond. Good luck. Janice
  3. blessedmom2four

blessedmom2four New Member

it has tramodol in it but also has tylenol too.
    it has worked great for me and is the only med. tjhat hasnt made me feel druged.

with any meds, your body will get immuned to it doesnt make you an addict, you just have to wean off.

and i also heard that that class has a lower addiction level, what ever that means
  4. gigio

gigio New Member

Thanks for your advice. When I was first on it it worked Great! I'm going to try it again because I have been using Vicodin for about 6 months and I worry so much about addiction. Even though I only take one or two a day at the most.
  5. NanaMama

NanaMama New Member

Hi Gigio,

I took tramadol for quite a few years and at first it made me very sleepy but then my body got used to it. After a while it seems your body gets used to pain meds and you have to switch to something else. That is what my friends and I think.

I have been on Vicodin for about 3 years. It helps but nothing has ever taken my pain away completely. Just takes the edge off so I can "function" sort of. Don't worry about addiction if you are taking your prescription properly. You will be fine. Good Luck with it.
  6. Breel

Breel New Member

Hi there gigio,
    I don't know about the tramadol,I tried it but not for long, but I had an addiction to the Vicodin. They are very addictive meds. I have been off the vicodin since January,2005 and now off of all sleeping meds and pain meds right now and hoping I don't have to use them again.

Instead I am using the WellebutrinXL and it has really helped me have a different outlook and my pain has subsided somewhat.

The doctor finally put me on trazadone 50mg and they were not habit forming and I could actually fall asleep with them. They were excellent for weaning me off the stronger meds. The worst thing that can happen to anyone and it did to me was for the doctor's to give you the pain meds and sleeping meds that ARE addictive and then decide that you can't take them anymore.

That is exactly what happened to me in 2004 and I didn't sleep for 5 days when they kept refusing the refills of the Ambien I had been on for two years. They honestly get you hooked on the meds and then wonder why you want them. Hello? What is wrong with this picture? Good luck to you all and I hope the meds don't take you hostage.

God Bless,
    Breel
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Tramadol is not addictive.

DO BE CAREFUL ON ULTRACET BECAUSE OF THE TYLENOL DUE TO THE LIVER EFFECT, AND DON'T TAKE IT AND DRINK.

Tramadol is, essentially, a narcotic molecule. Those molecules fit into pain receptor sites along the spinal column. There are DIFFERENT KINDS OF PAIN RECEPTORS AND SOME PAIN MEDS FIT INTO SOME SITES BUT NOT OTHERS.

That means that some drugs are better for certain types of pain, and ineffective against others.

With Tramadol, they removed certain parts of the molecule associated with euphoric and addiction, and left the pain treatment portion intact.

EVery med, however, has different effects on different people, and some find it good and some not.

There are all kinds of meds which can build up a resistance or tolerance. Usually, removing the medication from your treatment for a period of time, such as in flexeril, permitst he body to reprogram and the tolerance to subside.

That will probably work with tramadol.
  8. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Addiction refers to the need for a drug when the pain is not longer part of the process.

One can become mentally dependent on a drug, without becoming physically dependent upon it.

However, true addiction usually occurs when the drug is used in the absence of pain, or for recreational use.

Narcotics, such as Vicodin, when used only in the presence of pain, do not result in true addiction.
  9. BEARANDBUGSMOM

BEARANDBUGSMOM New Member

it worked great for the first month and then it doesn't work so good now I try not to take to much, I am still on it because my doctor doesnt like giving pain meds.

10. Breel

Breel New Member

I guess it depends on the person actually. I have a low tolerance to medication and I had to learn how to not have it. If they stop giving it to you like they did me then you feel like you are not feeling the same and therefore most people assume they were addicted to the meds cause they still feel the need for them.

I actually needed something else and I was taking 3 or 4 Vicodin a day, but they were 7/500 and not very strong. Like I said it is totally up to the individual and my term for my meds was addiction.