Transfer factor question/Mikie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, May 5, 2006.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

Hi

I'm about to start trying 4Life Transfer Factor and I read somewhere (it might have been a paper by Dr. Brewer) that you should take 3 pills a day and then reduce the dose over time.

The bottle says to take 2 capsules a day.

Can anyone advise on the optimum dosage?

Cheers
    Delia
  2. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

Hi Delia - Have you checked out the Transfer Factor message board? It's not nearly as active as this board, but there's some good info there. Just click on the "Message Boards" tab toward the top of this page. Then choose "Transfer Factors".

I plan to start transfer factors at some point, too. Haven't done it yet, though!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The Brewer Protocol calls for taking the dose prescribed on the label for three months and then take them only for a couple of days every 4-6 weeks.

I suggest going very slowly. The transfer factors which target specific pathogens can cause a HUGE immune reaction which can go on a long time. Immune reactions can cause feeling hot or chilling, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, feeling fluish with aches and pains, and severe headaches which do not respond to meds.

I had to open the capsules and sprinkle some of the powder under my tongue and build up to one capsule of each of the two ProHealth TF's I was taking. That took a month and I counted it as the first month of the three. Others have also had strong reactions to the TF's. You can always increase the dose to the recommended amount, but I think it's best to go slowly in the beginning.

Severe immune reactions and Herxing can lead, in rare cases, to a toxic-shock-like situation. It is rare but it does happen. That's why we need to go slowly when doing any treatment which kills pathogens.

I am not familiar with the TF you are taking. If it does not target specific pathogens, like the Transfer Essentials sold here, there is less chance of a severe immune reaction.

Best of luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

but I will take your advice and go slowly...

How long have u been taking the TFs now Mikie?

Cheers
    Delia
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You know, I can't remember for sure. I know it's been longer than a year since I did my three months on them. BTW, I did go to the TF Board here and there is an excellent article on TF's. Long and a bit difficult to take in all at once but good info. The doc who wrote it does talk about taking more capsules and gradually decreasing them.

As I recall, the Brewer Protocol is targeted toward specific pathogens and he uses ABX and AV's as well as the TF's. He also uses Heparin for the hypercoagulation often associated with chronic infection. The Heparin injections I did caused another huge immune reaction as the fibrin dissolved and the pathogens hiding out there were dumped into the bloodstream.

The article on the TF board cautions against the use of TF's in cases of autoimmune illness where an overactive immune system is a problem. Even the use of ABX and AV's can cause autoimmune problems because when a lot of these pathogens are killed off, there is always a chance of bits of our DNA getting in the way, confusing the immune system, making it think our own DNA is a foreign invader.

Bacteria, and especially viruses, can integrate our own DNA to hide out from our immune systems. Once the immune system recognizes the pathogen as foreign, it can see the DNA as foreign too. In addition, these chronic stealth pathogens hide out in our own cells. They replicate and then kill the host cell, often dragging bits of our own DNA with them. This is another way our immune systems can become confused.

My own immune system now reacts like a sledge hammer when I get exposed to some things. Just being around someone with shingles can set off an immune reaction in me. I was sick for two days after exposure to two women whose children have the rotovirus. I don't know that it was that exposure or something else which set off my immune system, but something did.

I will not be boosting my TF's this month as I normally would because I know I don't need to and I don't want to rev it up too much. None of these treatments are without risks. I believe TF's are very safe, especially compared to ABX and AV's; however, I do believe one should include one's doc in the decision.

TF's which do not target specific pathogens can be very helpful in rebuilding the immune system. As you've no doubt read, I rely on the probiotics, colostrum, and undenatured whey to keep my immune system healthy. Nontargeted TF's are kind of like a souped-up colostrum.

Love, Mikie
  6. Paracelsus

Paracelsus New Member

Mikie, you are right, one should use TF carefully based on individual symptoms and diagnosis. We want to upregulate the immune system in the proper way and not make it overactive in adverse ways.

Have you tried plant sterols for balancing the immune response? One fine product is ModuCare, by Kyolic, I believe. Plant sterols help modulate and balance immune cells so your immune response is healthy and appropriate to your body's current needs.
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Botanical extracts will block the Guai, unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion.

Love, Mikie
  8. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I met a lady at the store I frequent for a lot of my herbal remedies and she told me she had fibro/cfs. She said one of hte things htat helped her most when she had the illnesses was moducare adn that she still uses it. I got some and it actually works. It really helps anxiety. Nothing else worked for this. I had it bad. I will take this religiously. It's also supposed to help the immune system and other things.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are on sale here and if you buy one, you get one free. The TF C is on sale and that's a good deal because it is expensive. I believe it is worth it because it targets a lot of things.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Anyone on TF C would likely want to know about the sale.

Love, Mikie
  11. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

I'm afraid to try TF C because I have such severe reactions to most everything. I really don't even know what it is to be honest, sounds like it's an immune booster... Sometimes I'm tempted to not deal with certain things in order to avoid the herxing, but I know that's not a good idea so I'm trying to add some stuff I was doing awhile back slowely.