Travel and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Before I had my 1st major flare, my husband and I planned a trip to Italy in Feb. 2003 with some good friends.

Hubby & I are in our mid 50's and this will be our 1st trip to Europe. Really looking forward to it . . . but am worried I won't be able to keep up with our tour group.

I refuse to cancel and let this DD get the best of me. So, any helpful hints on travel will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.........Nikki
  2. Nikki

Nikki Member

Before I had my 1st major flare, my husband and I planned a trip to Italy in Feb. 2003 with some good friends.

Hubby & I are in our mid 50's and this will be our 1st trip to Europe. Really looking forward to it . . . but am worried I won't be able to keep up with our tour group.

I refuse to cancel and let this DD get the best of me. So, any helpful hints on travel will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.........Nikki
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I just wanted to say I think it`s great you`re going on your trip. I don`t have much for travel tips because I`ve never taken a trip to Europe myself. I do much better with flying compared to driving, you get there a lot faster, less time to get stiff.

Take along a favorite pillow if you can. If you get worn out, sometimes just laying down for an hour or two break
    helps a lot. It works for me when we go on vacation.

I`m excited for you! Let us know how it goes.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/03/2002]
  4. melksng

melksng New Member

HI Nikki, My mother, sister and I all hav fibro and we usualy travel a lot(long distances). My mother has to wear a neck brace to support her neck and to stop it from cramping for most of the trip as it is in the one position all the time. she got used to wearing it and has minimum pain in her neck after traveling for such a long time. Just thought u might want to try this idea, it may work for u. Hope u enjoy your trip and i know its hard but dont let the pain get u down, Hugz..... Melissa
  5. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Hi, Nikki:

I understand how you feel. My husband and I are going on a week long cruise to the Hawaiian islands in January. I figured this would be a good way to travel. It's like traveling with a bedroom close by at all times and I can do as much or as little as I am able. If I need to lay down during the day, I can. Of course I am still a little anxious. The not knowing how you will feel is hard, but don't let it stop you. I figure this disease has taken enough away from me, but I am not going to stop traveling. Granted, I can't go hiking with a backpack anymore, but I will travel other ways. I use those reusable ice packs at night for pain (along with pain medication). The cruise line said I can keep my ice packs with my name on them in their freezer and the room steward can get them for me every night.

I think comfortable clothing and shoes is important-especially shoes. You probably already carry pain medication with you at all times. I always carry my own pillow for my head, plus the pillow I put under my knees at night. Anything to make the bed more comfortable. We also use a sound machine at home (husband snores) so we plan to take that as well. Sometimes people in the hallways can be noisy so this will block out the noise especially if I am laying down during the day.

What kind of a suitcase do you have? Mine has wheels so I can just pull it along. No way could I carry a suitcase. My husband will be doing good hauling his own. I try to also pack as light as possible.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Ellen