travel tips for Spain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wren7, Jun 14, 2003.

1. wren7

wren7 New Member

hi, FMly! We will be flying to Spain in July. Any advice on how to survive air travel/jet lag ?Thanks!
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mikie should be able to give you some tips, her daughter and SIL just came back from Spain...........

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My daughter came home with a horrible intestinal infection which has taken her forever to recover from.

It took me three weeks to recover from jet lag when I went to Europe. It was fine traveling east, but traveling west coming home was the killer.

Love, Mikie
  4. northlass

northlass New Member

hun have a great time. i get them to let me on first if im in the wheelchair, but be most careful, i agree, i have had a bug for 2 years now from tenerife, twice i went there and both times i got a terrible tummy bug, i dont know to this day how i travelled home, or why they let me on the flight,( good actor after 17 years must be lol )dont even have any salad thats been washed in water, im sure thats where i got mine from, or ice cubes hun. drink only bottled water at all times, even tea i think may have been the culprit, maybe not have been boiled properly, whos to know
    good luck and enjoy

x sam
    [This Message was Edited on 06/14/2003]
  5. northlass

northlass New Member

forgot to say hun, have some domperidon tablets with you, they where my life saver for sickness
    xxxx sam
  6. lucky

lucky New Member

I just returned from Portugal a few weeks ago and was lucky that I survived the flight so well. This did not happen all the time we travelled overseas before, but the flight time is relatively short compared with other destinations (abt. 7 hrs.). The flights are very tiring as you know, and the first thing I always do is rest and sleep after arrival as long and much as I can. Going to Europe is easier on jet lag than returning I find.
    After my initial rest, I slowly start to plan things according to my energy level. Never try to do everything you think you would love to do, sightseeing is tiring, the food is different, so is the climate. All major adjustments, so just take it easy and you'll enjoy a great holiday.
    Sincerely, Lucky
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

I live in the UK and know people who regularly cross the big pond. Going east is the problem. Some travellers use coffee and melatonin to adjust their body's clocks.

I do recall seeing info on this a few years back, jet lag's such a problem for many people perhaps a w.w.w. search might come up with other ideas.

I haven't been able to travel for years but the last time I managed this I had some inflatable cushions to support me better and something to rest my arms on to prevent too much strain on shoulder and arm muscles. I sussed some of this out for myself and my physical therapist came up with suggestions too.

Have a great holiday

Cheers,Tansy

ps Make sure you drink loads of water because you can get dehydrated when flying.

8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Traveling East was easy. I took a night flight and was able to just go along with the time when I arrived in England. We also took a night flight coming back home to the West and I felt all spaced out for weeks. I guess we are all different, but I have heard many from the States who had the same problem, traveling West.

Couldn't get used to it's being light til 10:00 at night, so had to drink beer for medicinal purposes just to get to sleep.

I don't know whether I will ever have the chance to travel to Europe again, but I hope so. It was wonderful.

Love, Mikie
  9. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

My mum and dad live in Spain and my mother and father in law have a house in Barbados i travel to both regually and have been fine coming back from Barbados is the worst because of the time diffrence with the uk try not to go to bed till night time when you get back and you'll be fine and walk about on the plain a bit so as not to get to stiff
    Loopyloo xx
    ps you can drink the water its fine
    [This Message was Edited on 06/15/2003]
  10. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I contracted food poisoning on my flight to Spain two years ago.

Travel with some Olive Leaf Extract capsules - this`ll sort out any intestine infections. If no OLE then eat raw garlic instead, 2 - 3 cloves spread over the day.

Hope you have a fabulous time - it`s gonna be hot!

Pat.
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's usually not the food you eat when you get to a foreign country which makes you sick; it's often the food served on the plane coming home. Seems airline food prepared in foreign countries is often not prepared as carefully as at home and isn't always kept at the right temperatures.

Love, Mikie
  12. lucky

lucky New Member

I forgot to mention in my message to wren to always drink bottled water, no matter where you are, this is the first thing I am getting when I arrive anywhere. Also take another bottle with water on the plane, it might become very handy.
    Mikie is probably right with the food which is served on the planes that one can get sick on them, although I was lucky so far.
    The worst anxiety I always have to deal with is the circulated air in the plane because of that the viruses etc. from fellow passengers are the greatest threat for me. Lately I always have a face mask in my travel bag, just in case.....
    And be easy on wines and alcohol and exotic dishes.
    Sincerely, Lucky
    [This Message was Edited on 06/16/2003]