Traveling?? Is there a way without pain???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by iambz, Aug 5, 2003.

1. iambz

iambz New Member

I just traveled fro Ohio to Virginia. It was a 8 hr trip and I don't think that I would of made it without pain pills and muscle relaxers....
    Any suggestions for travel would be appreciated...
  2. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

HI IAMBZ,

I'm in the same boat as you! Next week i'll be travling by car for 5 hrs. I sure could use some pointers.

Welcome to the board,

Rachel
  3. JP

JP New Member

I just drove a 4 1/2 hour drive. I have not driven more than 20 miles in well over a year. It felt great to be able to make the trip. I stoped every 45 minutes, stretched and walked around a bit. I also kept on my pain medication schedule. I did pay (additional pain) for the trip and it was a pretty good experience overall. The key for me is stopping.

I hope you feel better soon...take care,
    Jan
  4. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

one of those back supporting pillows & if possible let someone else drive so I can let the seat back *\& put my legs up on the dash for a while. I also took stops when needed just to stand for a minute.

Lisa
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

Here are some things I have used in traveling. I usually don't go by car, since I am single and don't feel safe driving very far alone, due to my CFS.

I use ThermaCare Heat Wraps. They make them to go on top of your shoulders and on your lower back, which bother me the most when traveling. I also use an inflatable lumbar pillow for lower back support. Finally, I have an inflatable neck pillow, which allows me to sleep, or just rest, without getting my head into a funny position.

By the way, where in VA did you go? I live in Northern VA, about 25 miles from Washington, DC.

Barbara
  6. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I've done 2 long trips this summer & can really recommend frequent stops. Also recommend using pain patches on the shoulders or back. Plus, I take along my earplugs, pillows & heating pad for use after driving.

My Subaru has a heating element in the driver's & passenger's seat & I use it to keep my back relaxed. I also adjust the distance between the seat & the steering wheel to keep from cramping.

I try to avoid the major interstates. I don't like the stress of some jerk driving at high speed, so I try to take the older highways which are more scenic & have lots of reasons to stop - like Roadside Americana architecture, etc. I feel more in control when driving the speed limit.

The worst experiences I've had were on certain roads that had bumps, potholes & pavement with grooves. The vibrations on these roads went up through my arms & practically sent me to the moon with so much pain. Desperately got off those roads Quickly!

Best wishes for your travels.