traveling with diabetes...?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by oceanminded2079, Apr 21, 2009.

1. oceanminded2079

oceanminded2079 New Member

I am 20 years old and am in my third year of college. I just recently got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about 5 months ago. I just got on the pump a couple weeks ago as well... I have always wanted to travel and see a lot of different countries or go hiking with friends or backpacking through Europe. I feel like since I am diabetic I can't do this as well anymore... It really bums me out to feel like diabetes is holding me back from a lot of activities I would love to do with my friends and family. Do any of you travel a lot or go places for a semi-long period of time?

I really do not want to feel like my new condition is holding me back from dreams that I want to accomplish when I graduate from college/grad school. I know that there are type one diabetics who run marathons or participate in triathlons and stuff, how do they do it??? (not that I want to run a marathon... but I know that if they can do that, I should be able to travel and hike, right - how?) Any advice or experience with how to accomplish goals like these...? It would mean a lot to me to hear what other people have to say! Thank you!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2009]
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

There is a good diabetes board here and you may want to try there and hopefully you will get lots of answers. Good luck!!!!
  3. oceanminded2079

oceanminded2079 New Member

Ok, thank you very much I hope other people will reply! I posted it on the diabetes message board.