Traveling with Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Nov 10, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Someone mentioned in a post that they want to travel but how it can be exhausting. I found this article, "Traveling With Fibromyalgia" very informative.

Here is another one.

If anyone has any other information on Traveling with FM/CFS or disabilities, please share this.

I plan on going to California this spring.

Thanks in advance.

[This Message was Edited on 11/10/2009]
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

Are you kidding? A trip from the Midwest to CA would be a very big deal. I think it really depends on how sick you are. I am not even going to be able to go to FL to stay with family, though they want me to and would pay for it this yr...... and that is shorter than flying to CA. I did it last winter (the first trip I have had in a very long time) and it made me crash for a good 6 weeks....and I did everything I could to pace myself, inc using a wheelchair, and I was in better shape then than I am now. I realize that you were not actually writing this response to me, but I also know that there are many in as bad or far worse shape than I am, so I thought I'd respond anyway.

Here's how a trip would break down for me:

First is packing (and making sure you have everything that will help to make you more comfortable and all the meds/supps.etc you need)(even with a list hard to remember everything and very exhausting to do)

1 hour in the car to get to the airport (this part alone is too much for me)

1 - 2 hrs in the airport getting wheeled thru the metal detectors, ticket check, etc, and waiting for the plane (and if you do use a wheelchair, you are pretty much stuck if you are alone and can't push it yourself - it helps with fatigue, but it can get quite painful sitting in it for any length of time and you can't leave it to go to the bathroom or anything)

about 4 hours on the plane (that is for CA....a little under 3 for FL) (also painful and exhausting, not to mention dehydrating and a great place to pick up germs - and getting a cold or the flu will not exactly improve the trip)

at least another hour getting off the plane, getting from the plane to baggage claim, waiting for luggage, and then getting to car (rental or being picked up)

another drive of however long to get to destination (for me in Fl this would be another hr)

so, not including packing, it is anywhere from 7 - 9 hours from start to finish just to travel

By then I would be so exhausted and in pain the trip would be shot, and yet it would be just getting started.....then there is the fact that I have a very messed up circadian rhythm - on my best-getting-plenty-of-sunlight-and-lots-of-rest-days, I never wake up before noon.....on my worst days, it is more like 5:30PM. Once I am up, it takes awhile to actually get going, then I do a little and rest, take a shower and rest, and maybe have one more thing in me before I am done for the day.....kinda hard to plan any family or vacation type activities within that framework. If I overdo it, though, I can guarantee needing at least a week to recover.

Then after whatever length of time, the whole pack and travel thing has to be repeated to get back home, and then there's unpacking, cleaning, and putting everything away.

Much as I love traveling, love to see my family, love the ocean, hate the winters here and would love to go somewhere with better weather, there is just no way that I could do this......and then to top it off, for me every time I do anything that makes me crash, I do not recover back to the previous level of functioning. So, if I am now functioning at, say, 30% and the effects of a trip would bring me down to 5%, I would recover, but maybe only to 25%.

I know this sounds like I am being negative, and I wish that were the case, but this is simply reality for me. I have learned it the hard way.
  3. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

Ya'll lost me after packing and the hour ride to the airport.LOL Notice I said ride, because there is no way I could drive myself an hour.

Last weekend we went to visit my husband's parents in Alabama, which is only an hour and a half from us.... But we all know that to a healthy person, that drive is nothing. An hour after we got there I was in bed for 11 hours. Went to breakfast the next morning, visited a couple specialty shops (with the help of an oxycodone and a muscle relaxer) and ended up back in bed until the following day....

Good luck with your trip. I hope it goes smoothly for you!

4. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Just kidding,
    What I mean is don't go with someone who doesn't understand this DD.
    I went to CA with my mom to visit my brother who had just moved there. I'm thinking CA, warm, sunny, wahoo. I went through a months worth of Percocet in one week thanks to my mom.
    She has absolutely no idea what this stupid DD does to me.
    She wakes me up at 7:00 am, "Oops, did I wake you up? Well since your awake, why don't you get showered and we will go check out the vineyards, blah, blah".
    Just shoot me. I have never been happier to get home and sleep in my own bed.
    By the way, it took me three weeks to recover from that trip.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I agree it does depend, and I hope that my post didn't come across as criticism.....I just thought I'd share my experience/thoughts since i know that others have wondered about traveling, too....and I have both ME and FM, so that probably also makes a difference
  6. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

The last time I attempted a vacation was about 10 years ago. We were going to drive for 2 1/2 hours to Gatlinburg, TN. By the time I instructed my husband on what to pack with me helping as I was able, I was so wired and exhausted that I couldn't sleep or get out of bed for the trip, and had a migraine.

We ended up unpacking and staying home and lost money on our cancellation. I had stressed out so much trying to make sure I didn't forget any of the details, like stopping newspaper for a week, stopping mail, buying groceries for the condo stay, making sure I had all my sick person supplies, that there's no way I could go.

I did this two years in a row and we decided to never try vacation planning again. I also have CFS as well as FM. I'd love to go if I could just wish myself there. :) GB66

7. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Well said, Aunt Tammie!!! That was a very good post! I would be dead after packing! Travel for me is just an old fantasy.

BUT! I was thinking the other day, " I wonder if I could travel if I had an RV or motor home and hubby drove. Hubby would also have to do the laundry and packing for the trip but, I could lay in the bed all theway to where ever and I would have a bed with me all the time. Hubby and boys could go siteseeing and I could lay in the bed." It would be a way to get me somewhere to see family. I would have to lay in bed at their house but, at least, I could see them or have a face to face conversation.

8. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks for clapping : )