Travelling with medications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goofgirl, Oct 13, 2008.

1. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

I am taking my first airplane flight in at least 15 years this week to Washington DC, to see my dad whom I haven't seen in 8 years. In addition to just general concern about how much I will physically and mentally be able to do on the trip, I'm wondering about taking all of my meds and supplements with me for the 5 days I'll be gone. I have a HUGE pill sorter where I put everything for each day, including my perscription meds. I plan to take this in my carry-on. No liquids, just pills and powders. Think I'll have any issues getting through security with so many pills? It's such a waste of space to keep everything in its original bottle. Any experiences to share and/or suggestions?

Thank you!
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

I was told if its prescription it has to be in bottle it came in. Probably same with supps.

If you call airline they could tell you. better safe than sorry.

happy flying
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Jes,
    I've flown a lot in the last yr. and a half. I've had no problems carrying on my meds and supplements. Well I do pack the supplement case in my luggage, but carry my meds in my carry on. Tho you should carry the meds in your prescription bottles. I have had my prescription meds in a little plastic pill holder and never been stopped, but you never know.

Have a good trip!!

4. tig519

tig519 Member

Both domestically and internationally. (20+ trips a year)

I have never been questioned on my meds. However, I count out all my meds and take an extra days worth or more (just in case of flight delays) and place all in one prescription bottle. Maybe it's because of this, its never drawn attention.

I would also recommend you follow all the rest of the "rules" around carry-on to avoid any unnecessary search. Liquids need to be in 3.4oz or less containers and those containers have to be commercially labeled. You can't just buy the little plastic bottles and fill with shampoo, etc. You also can't have more than one quart size bag. This is the sandwich size bag, not the big ziplocs. When you go through security, you need to remove the ziploc from your carry on and place separately (in a bin) on the belt.

No scissors, nail clippers or anything else sharp. Here's a weird no no... no lock de-icer. I had to get special permission from the pilot once (this was before 9/11).

Computers and video cameras need to be removed from your bag when you put on the belt.

Good luck.
  5. fallenstar1962

fallenstar1962 New Member

I was told to carry a letter from my doctor listing all medications for any flights.

6. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Thank you for everyone's replies, your personal experiences were very helpful. I ended up being curious about the actual policies, so I called the TSA. Thought I would share the info here so everyone knows the official scoop. I was told that pill cases are allowed in carry-ons, but they require that all the medication in the case must be documented by a doctor or pharmacy. If it's in the bottle it came in, no documentation is required. The pill case is allowed without documentation in bags that are checked in.

I decided I will probably pack my prescription medication and unique supplements in my carry-on in their bottles. I will pack my vitamins and other supplements that are easily replaceable in my checked-in bag. That way I don't have to carry around 20 or so pill bottles and rattle all the way through the airport... LOL!

By the way, did you know when you call the TSA they actually record every phone call and ask for your first and last name with spelling as well as your phone number? Seemed a little excessive to me, but I guess it's all in the name of security, right?

7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

When I travel, whether it is in the US or across the border to Canada, I always have my pills in their original prescription bottles and a letter from my doctor saying what medications I am on and for what conditions.

My mother does the same thing...especially if we are traveling with more than 1 month worth.

I even have medication that I have to use gel packs with to keep it refrigerated so I have to declare that at the security station.

I never travel anywhere (even in my own city) with more than one day's worth of medications without the prescriptions. I have a pill sorter but it fits in my bag that houses all my prescriptions (15-17 of them). It can be very bad to be caught with more than a day worth of narcotics without the actual prescription. I take no chances.
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

I would get a printout from the pharmacy that shows everything you take and why--this could even be a dupicate receipt of your medications and also type of list of the non-prescriptions you take too
  9. Doober

Doober New Member

a lot over the past 2 years with my job.

I saved one of the latest prescription bottels that were empty and put everything I needed in the one bottle. Actually, I put in 3 extra days worth just in case I ever run into a situation where my flights are ever cancelled or any weather affects either my departure or arrival times (Thankfully none of this has happened, but Murphy is a heck of a man to keep down in the even I do not prepare...LOL).

This way if ever questioned, my name, my DR's name and the phone number to my pharmacy is on the bottle and they can make all the phone calls they want.

I have never been questioned and like other have said, never check them in you luggage. Always in your carry-on.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

One other thing you can do is ask the pharmacy for a small bottle of your prescription if you don't want to carry a bigger bottle.