Trazadone help see pscyh tomorrow

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 00a7370, Apr 17, 2007.

1. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

like all of you i have trouble sleeping. have tried everything: ambien, lunesta, rozerem, klonopin, xanax and restoril.

restoril works the best but i wake up after 3 or 4 hours then i take one xanax to get back to sleep.

my psych prescribed trazadone once but didn't seem to help. does it help anyone? does it take a while to work? can you take with any of above?

Most important: did it make you gain weight?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/17/2007]
  2. EddieJ

EddieJ New Member

...but it took a week to really kick in. P.S. -- It made me really hungry. I got what I used to call the Trazadone munchies.
  3. FANNtasy

FANNtasy New Member

Hi, I have been taking trazidone for about 3 yrs now. I take it only when I need it. On the nights I cant fall asleep. I make sure I take it by at least 11:30, and it works. I sleep through the night and can wake in the morning, feeling fibro, but not hung over from it.
    My doc just recently uped my ativan and added soma for muscles. Now I take a Traz at night when I need too, with the adivan and the soma. Its my evening cocktail, but helps me sleep and Im not waking to roll over in pain. Actually the adivan and soma work well enough on their own for me.
    So I have been resting, but Ive still been hurtin. :(
    Anyway, thats my experience with trazidone.
    Feel Well Folks, Felicia
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

that Trazadone. I was on it for many,many years for anxiety and I slept soooooo good. Just remember that you need 8 full hours to sleep it off so plan it accordingly and you won't wake up with a hangover. You will have to go up to higher doses eventually if you stay on it. I went clear up to 400m.g.s and then came all the way back down and started all over again and as crazy as it sounds, it worked. Good luck. If you have any more questions, come back and ask them after you get back on it.
  5. jmq

jmq New Member

It gave me a VERY stuffy nose...so bad i could not breathe and relax. I did not get sleepy from it either..but I never tried increasing it because of the sinus issue.

Now I take Ambien CR and it works most nights.

jmq
  6. netnut

netnut New Member

I had the hardest time convincing my pdoc that trazadone doesnt work for me. I tried it for years too. Now in the early years I was using ambien with it so I was sleeping ok. Well as ok as I can ever sleep that is.

When I lost the insurance and the ability to get ambien...the trazadone stopped working. I started staying awake longer and longer.

I did some research on a psychopharmacology site and found out that serzone and trazadone are chemically similar and they act on the same sites in the brain which then made sense as to why it wasnt making me sleepy. You see...I had my very first all out manic episode on serzone! Idiot pdoc still wanted to make me take more trazadone to see if it would make me fall asleep but I refused.
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

But I did have to adjust the dosage and now take 150mg each night.

I take mine at 7:30pm and fall asleep around 9 or earlier and sleep right through the night until around 5:30 or 6:00....every night.

It's made a huge difference in my life.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  8. tngirl

tngirl New Member

works great for some people. It did help me sleep but made my memory and brain fog worse so it wasn't worth it to me.

I think you can combine it. I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. He told me to take a trazadone in addition to the restoril. Ask your doctor or pharmacist.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2007]
  9. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I've been taking 50mg for years now. If I don't take it, I wake up every hour or two and never get a solid nights sleep. I usually still wake up once or twice, (usually from hip or back pain), but the traz makes a world of difference.

I started at 25mg and have gone up to 100mg...50 works the best usually. It does give me a stuffy nose,which is wierd...but not always. I tried ambien and lunesta and a few others, I always end up back on the Traz. I'm very sensitive to med side effects, but this one is OK.
  10. Charleen

Charleen New Member

I have taken Trazadone for years. I take two 100 mgs at night and in a half hour if I am not starting to get sleepy I take a xanax.
    Hope it works for you.
  11. 00a7370

00a7370 New Member

That's funny. I saw psych today and he upped dosage of Trazidone to 200 mgs and told me to take a xanax if I wake up.

Good to know. It works for a lot of people
  12. nightngale

nightngale New Member

I need to take an antidepressant and something for sleep and have been thru all types of meds. I have a problem with heart palpitations and anxiety and take a beta blocker and xanax and klonopin which have it pretty well under control, but I have bad morning shakes and no one can figure it out. Doc says I need something for depression so here we go again, I am going to try it. Just scared will make my heart flop around. I have POTS too.
  13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Could your bad morning shakes have something to do with your blood sugar?

I was having problems too and was dx as borderline diabetic but I was having severe hypoglycemic problems too.

Maybe you could get this checked...

Hugs,

Nancy B
  14. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I had a horrible headache with it, felt like I was being poisoned, and it made me very dizzy.

GBHope