Trazadone or Desryl - Need Info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Feb 8, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Is anyone taking this drug? If so was it for sleep, pain or depression.

I have history of irregular heartbeats and see that is a side effect. Doctor gave me 50 mg with advice to take 1 or 2 at bedtime.

I am always afraid when trying a new drug. I think it is supposed to help my sleep, however I was depressed before.

Thanks

2. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I so wish it had worked for me .. I was switched to Trazodone a couple of days ago ( Lunesta aka zopiclone )stopped working for me ..
    The bad news was I got violently ill from it .. extreme vomitting .. I was really surprised since I have not had such a reaction to a drug like that before .. except Sulpha drugs .. big allergy to that one.
    I wouldn't say it is a horrible drug .. this is just my experience ..
    Try the lowest dose first though .. that is always the safest way to start .. it might be wonderful for you !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  3. Connie3

Connie3 New Member

I have taken trazodone for about 17 years and love it. I take 50-75mgs at bedtime and a .5 xanax. It works beautifully 98% of the time. I do have a problem with heart palpitations and take 12.5mg atenolol at bedtime, but had this problem before starting the trazodone. I believe that trazodone is the safest thing I have ever taken.

HOpe this helps!

God Bless!

Connie
  4. tngirl

tngirl New Member

It is an anti-depressant that has the side effect of sleepiness, so it is often used as a sleep aid.

I was told that it takes a couple of weeks to alleviate depression since it has to be in your system for awhile. My husband took it for a short period of time for depression.

The doctor I go to for sleep apnea (pulmonologist) prescribed trazadone to help me sleep. He said the dosage could be anywhere from one to three and that I would have to "play" with the dosage to get it right.

I don't take it, I couldn't get it to work for me. too little and I didn't sleep and too much and I was dopey all the next day.

Good luck
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Thanks everyone - I took 50 mg last night and seem ok this morning.

I was using Ambien and was tired the next day.

I will continue this and see what happens. Hope I also have a good experience with it...

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.

6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

because it is hypnotic.It makes you forget all the times you woke up.Trazadone gives me 6 hrs of deep sleep.I only take Ambien when I'm having Severe breakthrough pain all night.I forget that I had a painful night,but I'm exhausted the next day.Hope this helps.Linda
  7. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

This is an old anti-depressant. I took it years ago, and it does take a long, long time to get to effective levels for that, if ever.

However, my FFC placed me on it for sleep. I take 50 mg. most nights now and it seems to help.

I have been having severe pain with a degenerated spine and bulging discs and I fought taking anything other than tylenol or ultram and I had to come off Ultram and glucosamine and even fish oil, to have a procedure done, as all can effect clotting.

I WAS HURTING.

Finally took a Vicodin, and when I awakened the next morning, I don't even think I had turned over and I was refreshed, really refreshed for the first time in YEARS.

It was amazing.

If I am not mistaken, one needs to take it or any anti-depressant with some food. Take it on an empty stomach and some people will have trouble.
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I gave me the first full nights sleep I've had in years. I have to take it no later than 9:00 tho or I'm a bit groggy when I wake up. The grogginess doesn't last long tho. My doc said the same thing: created for depression/anxiety but used more succesfully as sleep aid.

Hope this helps!

Sofia
  9. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I've had nothing but good experiences with Trazadone.

I've been taking it since I was 17Yrs. old.
    I'm one of those people who CANNOT sleep unless I'm heavily medicated. I'm taking 300mg's a night.

But, usually 25-50mg works wonders for alot of people.
    I'd give it a try!

P.S.
    For some reason, when I take ambien, I start sleep-walking and talk loudly in my sleep, strange huh.
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

txfmmom - I will remember to take it with food. I did notice on the bottle it says to take it with food.

Did you say the Vicoden helped you sleep all night? With your condition, I am glad you are getting Vicoden. There is no reason to suffer.

Sofia, I am taking it a little later. I took it last night and it did not seem to work as well as Ambien but I will keep taking it and give it a chance.

lovethesun - Yes Ambien does keep you tired the next day. I would rather not take it if possible - I will give Trazadone a good try.

Shan1078 - wow you have taken this for a long time. It must be pretty harmless and good if it has worked for you that long.

donnaeil - You are taking 300 mg. I only started at 50 mg. The doctor said to take 1 or 2 of the 50 mg at night. This sounds like a safe drug. I do have tendency for cardiac arrythmias, so I hope that does not happen.

Thanks everyone..... it is so good to get this feedback.
  11. MKlady

MKlady New Member

I've taken 50mg at bedtime for 10 years with no effects except I can't sleep without it. Since I've started FFC treatment I'm taking 10mg Ambien every night too. Usually sleep great about 7-8 hours after I lie down, not groggy in the a.m.