Trazadone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DVoit, Aug 8, 2005.

1. DVoit

DVoit New Member

Does anyone take this to help sleep?

I was given it months ago and never took it but have taken it for the last couple of nights. I guess I slept better but there must be a down side.

Donna
  2. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I have been taking this for some time now. There are nights it doesn't help me but others it does. I haven't had any side effects. So no down side for me other than it doesn't work every night.
  3. gnanny

gnanny New Member

It took a while before it worked for me. I have been taking it now for just over a year. It has helped me get back into a good sleep pattern and I dont have trouble getting back to sleep if I do wake up. I do feel a little groggy in the morning but its not too bad considering how groggy I would be feeling if I hadnt got any sleep.
    Hope that gives you some input.
  4. glafdy

glafdy New Member

I have used Trazadone for sleep for about 2 years now. I take 50 mg about 1/2 hour before bedtime and go right to sleep. I tend to wake up about 5:00 AM but that is because of pain, so I take my pain meds then and go back to sleep.

Prior to Trazadone I took Elavil and it made my mouth so dry and I couldn't wake up in the mornings. Then I took Ambien and that made me not remember things and I felt it caused my brain not to function right for about 8 hours.

Trazadone has been a life saver, or maybe I should say "sleep saver" for me. I go to sleep and wake up relaxed in the morning.

Another thing that was affecting my sleep was I had severe sleep apnea where I quit breathing very often. With my CPAP machine and the trazadone I sleep very well now.

I hope trazadone works as well for you as it does for me. I haven't experienced any down side too it. I hope that will be your experience too.

Gladys
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but even 4 hours of good sleep with trazadone is worth more than 8 with something else.I get more deep sleep with it.I do keep Ambien on habd for those nights that the pain will keep me up all night,
  6. quigmoore

quigmoore New Member

Yes,I've used Trazadone for about a year. Sometimes it helps and others, not. I take 150mg prior to going to bed. If I take it too long before I retire it doesn't work. Sometime within an hour after I take it I hit a drowsy stage. If I don't consciously try to shut down when I feel the first indication of drowsiness, it doesn't work.

I don't like the "drugged" feeling that I have upon waking, but it is better than no sleep at all. I tried one of the newer sleep medications for a short time and I actually felt rested after sleeping 5 hours (that's all I could sleep with it) -- but the doctor wouldn't prescribe it for more than 3 weeks.

I haven't noticed any side effects (and I'm very sensitive to medications). It is hard on the stomach and I have to eat something with it.
  7. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I take Trazadone. I have had no side effects what so ever. It has stopped working for me but it was good while it lasted. I only take 75mg so perhaps I should up the dosage but I also take Ambien and Klonopin and still don't sleep.

Anyway, I say give the Trazadone a shot. Keep us posted.

Good luck!
    Hope
  8. taniar

taniar New Member

Long time ago took it and believe it or not kept me up all night, not just once, but several times.

I guess we are all different.

Good luck, Tania
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

but I had to quit because I couldn't perform, sexually speaking! ;)
  10. Vada

Vada New Member

I 6take 50 mg of trazadone along with 200mg of Lamictal and I sleep like a baby with absoultely no side effeccts. LaVada
  11. ChattyCathy

ChattyCathy New Member

I have taken it for three years......(after trying several others first) I started with 50 mg., then 75 and now 100 about half hour before bedtime. It took a week or so to take effect when I first began taking it...Hope it works for you

Please don't even think of "DOWNSIDE" Is there a reason that you didn't take it when it was prescribed for you?
  12. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I take 150mgs before bed and most times it works, only occasionaly when my mind races from bipolar it won't work
    Sue
  13. splooofy

splooofy New Member

I took Trazadone for about 1 month but had to quit due to terrible nightmares. I would see things crawling on the walls etc. I was switched to Ambien and I sleep like a puppy now. No side affects for me on this one. My husband also tried Trasadone and had the same reactions.
    Splooofy
  14. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I take 100mg at night (within an hour before bed). The only "side effect" I get is that I get very clumbsy after taking it... I think my body starts falling asleep before my mind.

I sleep much better with it, and even have dreams again (though they are often a bit strange).
  15. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

for sleep and it works wonderfully with no side effects
    at all . No weight gain either . It is a good and safe and cheap drug and helps most people get DEEP sleep .
  16. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Donna,

I took it many moons ago. I slept, but with bazaar dreams. I also felt like I was stuck in road tar or something similar all the next day.

I can't handle any AD's, so it was a bad thing for me. If it makes my day really bad, then it's not the right sleep medication ( for me ).

It's one of the older AD's, and you get some side effects along with it that I wasn't thrilled with either.

I'm not sure this was much help to you.....sorry about that.LOL

Good luck with it,

Elsa
  17. happygranny

happygranny Member

I started at 3 years ago and uped it to 100 about a year ago.

Reading the posts in this line sure shows how different we all are in our responses to meds.

The Trazedone helps me sleep better than I did before, I now often get 6 hours straight. However, when I have a bad case of racing brain it doesn't seem to help much.

That has caused me to think about St. John's Wort as well as Trazodone, but not sure if that is a good idea. I am on a fairly low dose of Trazodone, so it is likely okay.