Trazodone advice please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by behooved, Jul 31, 2008.

1. behooved

behooved New Member

So my doctor gave me Trazodone to help me sleep, since I don't seem to get any deep sleep anymore and the Lorazepam and Ambien aren't working well anymore.

Last night I took about 25mg right before bed, along with 1mg lorazepam (I'm going to try to slowly ween myself off), and I had a TERRIBLE night. It was just like any other where I was basically half awake all night long lucid dreaming, and woke up constantly.... but the trazodone made me feel really nauseous and dizzy and terrible. It didn't help me sleep well at all because the side-effects kept me awake even more. Now I feel terrible and incredibly groggy today.

Am I doing something wrong? I heard this was supposed to be a really good med for helping people with FM sleep.

I read that you're supposed to take it with food... but I didn't since I have acid reflux disease and can't eat 3 hours before bedtime. Could this be why I was so nauseous? It felt like it was ripping my stomach to shreds all night. Does this side-effect go away over time, or will eating prevent it?

Should I be taking more or less? I have 100mg tablets, but thought 25mg of one would be good for my size (I only weigh 90lbs). My doctor did tell me to take 50mg, but I'm afraid if I take that much I might throw up.

Any advice on how to take this med correctly so that it actually helps me sleep at night while avoiding side effects would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  2. behooved

behooved New Member

Oh yeah and it also made my nose really stuffed up. I spent the first few hours of the night unable to sleep because I couldn't breathe properly through my nose... then I woke up and realised that all or part of the whole thing was just a lucid dream. It made me have dreams all night that I was lying in bed unable to sleep, and I can't tell how much of the night was real and how much I actually slept. It tripped me out.

I had really high hopes that Trazodone would be the answer to my sleeping problems. Any tips on dosages, side-effects etc?
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

for CFS-related insomnia -- I did not have insomnia before getting sick.

I use 50mg and haven't had much side effects. I don't take it with food necessarily.

I also have a lot of lucid dreams but they're pleasant and I usually know I'm dreaming.
  4. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I don't think I would be taking the Trazadone along with the Lorazapam. I have reflux also but try to take a little bit of food in before I take my pill as it helps immensely as far as getting it into your system quicker. Do you have the front of your bed higher then the bottom for reflux. We do and it really helps. I have been on Trazadone for fourteen years. I would take the 25mg. by itself with a piece of toast and see how that works. If you are still feeling ill, call your Dr. Hope this helps. P
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I had horrible side effects from this. I took it for a few days and I called my doctor cause the side effects were so bad and she took me off it.

Some people just react differently to some medications.

I would call your doctor and tell her your side effects.

I now take Halcion for sleep.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/31/2008]
  6. pinballwizard

pinballwizard New Member

I researched this drug today. It is supposedly adds REM sleep. Whereas, I the -pam drug and the Ambien just make it seem like you are sleeping better, but you are not necessarily... so I am told.

I say... get rid of the -pam drug and take trazadone again and see what happens. So many people have responded well to this drug who have had fibro. It increases serotonin.

The side effect is your hair falling out. Not much else. I am cosidering trying it for a couple months.

Not totally convinced yet. I am new here so perhaps I should not be apt to give or take my own advice.
  7. Hotwheelsgirl

Hotwheelsgirl New Member

I actually started taking trazodone before I ever knew I had FM for PTSD. I learned that if I take 25-50 mg about 45 minutes before I want to go to bed, and then if I don't feel tired/don't think I will sleep well I take another 25-50mg about 15 minutes before bed. I have a weak stomach and trazodone doesn't seem to affect it, but I do eat a 1/2 piece of toast with it. It has been great for me in dealing with the PTSD and I still take it now, even though I am new to FM (not the pain that is) Wishing you well,

8. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

I take 50 mg per night and have tried 25 but it was too low for me to get a good night sleep. I have been perscribed up to 100 mg but I had some problems with dry eyes and mouth so I cut it down. I would sleep better if I could tolerate the 100 mg.

I have acid reflux but I don't have any problems with the traz and take it on an empty stomach every night. I've never experienced any stomach problems - I wonder if it's because you are mixing two sleep meds together??

I just started experimenting taking melatonin at night also, this seems to be helping some.

Good Luck, Kristina
  9. jmq

jmq New Member

I tried taking it too. I did not feel sick but it stuffed up my nose so bad that I was uncomfortable and AWAKE. I tried taking it for about two weeks but that side effect never went away.

10. jenniferand2

jenniferand2 New Member

i have taken 200 mg of trazadone for over two years. it works great for me. the side effect of stomache ache should go away after a couple of days. and yes you will have funny dreams on it i have had some doozies. well just try it for a few more days if you dont like it then stop. there is seraquel you can take also.
  11. annade

annade New Member

I tried trazadone on two different occassions and both times it made my legs tingle so I couldn't sleep. Did not have the side effects you had, but the one I did have made it very difficult to sleep. I switched to .5 mg Klonopin which has really helped me sleep 8-9 hours straight. I wake up a little groggy but after a shower and breakfast I feel more energetic. It has worked better for me than the other sleep aids I have tried which include Ambien, Lunesta, Remeron, Temazapam, melatonin, and several herbal remedies. You just have to figure out what works for you. It has definitely been trial and error for me, but after six years I found whats works best at least for now.

12. stacielynn

stacielynn New Member

I am calling my doctor on monday. I started trazodone this week and have seen no sleep differences and am getting cranky from the lack of sleep. Hopefully there is something else out there for me to try too.
  13. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I would not take the two together. I think it is the interaction that is giving you trouble.

I take trazadone and klonapin and do not have problems with it.
  14. thecatswhiskers

thecatswhiskers New Member

I had DREADFUL side effects on Trazodone. Stuck with it for 3 weeks, at which point they were getting worse and worse ..... coordination problems, the lots. Was DIRE. Felt ok once off it. made all CFS neurological stuff TONS worse. :(

Very few AD's i'm OK with tho unfortunately ....[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2008]