Trazodone and St. John's Wort?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Aug 10, 2005.

1. happygranny

happygranny Member

Does anyone know if it is okay to take St. JOhn's Wort at the same time as Trazedone?

I did a search at the drug compatability web site and couldn't find a problem, but am not completely convinced.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully you have an answer for me.

happygranny
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2005]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It helped me decrease my Wellbutrin too, and helped enormously w/ PMS and cramps.

I can't guarantee it will mix well w/ your drug, but, the beauty of St.J's is you can start at tiny doses if you want. Either by trying a bit of tea first, it is a lovely tea btw, or by getting it in tablet form and breaking them in small pieces.

jeanne
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

Hi Happygranny,

St.John's wart influences serotonin....I would be hesitant to mix it with trazadone. The only AD that I would be comfortable taking while on St.John's wart would be wellbutrin as it influences dopamine.

It's not uncommon for a patient to take wellbutrin in the AM and another AD ( i.e. lexapro ) at night.

Ideally, you want to be careful not to over-load on the serotonin levels.

Hope this helps some.....Elsa

4. happygranny

happygranny Member

I didn't know the difference between Welbutrin and Trazodone, as far as Seratonin up-take inhibitor and Welbutrin's affecting Dopamine.

I am on very low dose Trazodone, 100 mgs before bed. I was hopiong that taking some St. John's Wort would help with the racing brain I have frequently.

Maybe I should reduce the Trazodone dosage to 50 mgs, then try St. John's Wort?

Any more ideas?

happygranny
  5. happygranny

happygranny Member

Bumping for more information. Has anyone switched from Trazodone to ST. John's Wort?

How did you do it?

Thanks,

Happygranny
  6. happygranny

happygranny Member

Bumping for more info...