Trazodone and Topamax?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by happygranny, Aug 29, 2003.

1. happygranny

happygranny Member

My doctor gave me Trazodone, 50 mg, at night to help me sleep. He also gave me Topamax 25 mg, at bedtime. Told me to increase the Topamax in 7 days to 50 mg. I look forward to loosing my appetite, but do you think I need both for sleep? Could I eliminate the Trazodone?
    Thanks for any advice.
  2. todayisagift

todayisagift New Member

I take both cause the Trazodone is for sleeping I take 150mg of that plus 150 mg of Topamax for migraine prevention. I think someone could hit me with a mack truck and I still wouldn't be able to sleep properly. AT the beginning though you'll find yourself very sleepy. Plus if you eat with the Trazodone the blood levels go in more.
    -Megan
  3. FM58

FM58 New Member

My rheumy has me on Trazadone 25 mg for sleep it doesn't help & my neuro has me on 300mg of Topamax for Migraine prevention. I started at 25 mg and slowly worked up by increased every week or every other week by 25 mg. Topamax did not effect my sleep at all. I split my dose - half in morning, half at night.

Side effects I did notice from Topamax: tingling in hands & feet, especially with brisk walking, that seemed to decrease after a month or so; carbonated beverages taste is altered, soda tastes awful! That's OK, I don't need it anyway, but I do miss my coca cola!;cognitive impairment, that is temporary, I remember things a few minutes after I need ther information (frustrating!);hair loss, although doctor says its not from the Topomax, others have reported it also.

Hope this helps.

Patty