Trazodone Anyone else sleep 16 hours?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LISALOO, Nov 29, 2006.

1. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I took my first trazadone last night. 50 mg, slept for 16 hours, still not awake. Did anyone sleep this much? I looked through messages and didn't find anyone.

I realized it was a tricylic antidepressant. I had no problem with elavil which is in the same class until my CFS started. Then I slept 20 hours! Is this bad?
  2. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

Yes I slept all day when I first went on it. That was before I was Dx with CFS and learned that we often cannot take normal dosages.

I was able to cut mine into 4ths and then over about two weeks slowly increased the dose back up to the 50mg.

Might work for you, too.

Shar
  3. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am on a high dose of it, and it isn't working for me at this point. It was great at the beginning! I am also, Bipolar, and the effectiveness of meds can be short lived with me.

It sounds as if you are on to high of dosage. Call your doctor and see about getting it lowered. It has been a life saver for so many.

Hugs,

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2006]
  4. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I could sleep 16 hours.
  5. linpop

linpop New Member

I used to be able to take it up until recently when my CFS returned. When I only had FMS I could take it, however, it has always caused me to be groggy in the morning but at least it knocked me out, literally. I was on 50mg

Are you taking it as an anti-depressant or to sleep?

Linda
  6. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

when I take mine, which I do every night,.
    I get up at 6:30 a.m. with the kids to get them ready for school then go back to bed for a few hours.

Just remember, sleep helps us heal...maybe this will help you feel better.
    Also, it takes a bit to get used to it, it should regulate after a bit.
  7. aadriansen

aadriansen New Member

I was on tryptophan which is a tricyclic antidepressant. I was on the lowest dose 25 mg( to help me get all of my stages of sleep) and I could easliy sleep 16 hours or more. I was taking it 18 hrs before I knew I had to wake up. I took a while to kick in so i was still able to drive. But even after that I was still tired the next day/afternoon. I will see my doc this week and will see if she changes anything. Glad to hear that this is normal.
  8. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I take 150mgs about an hour before bed and sleep around 6 to 7 hours of restful sleep. I never feel tired or
    anything when I get up. If I had to I could get up and function earlier ..and have.

I started at 50mgs about 8 years ago and then 100mgs. In 2003 I hit the right combo of my meds and haven't had to change any of them since. I swear by the Trazadone. My cousin who is a psyc nurse says they have patients who have to take up to 300mgs to sleep..various disorders, so the does you are on isn't particularly high. I'm not sure there IS a lower dose unless they can be cut in half, I'd ask the pharmacist.
    Bambi
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2006]
  9. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

Thank you for all your answers. I'm glad I'm not alone! I slept 6 more hours during the day yesterday. Didn't take any last night, just ambien, slept 12 hours, still tired. When I'm back to my normal lack of sleep I will definately try 1/4.