Trazodone - Carnitine Questions

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PVLady, Feb 18, 2006.

1. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I have been reading that Trazodone is helpful for Fibro and the depression. For some people it makes them sleepy so doctors also prescribe it for sleep.

Is anyone taking Trazodone for depression, or pain or sleep?

I asked about this before and recall some people have taken it for years.

Also, has anyone heard of L Carnitine being good for CFS?
  2. shan1078

shan1078 New Member

I've been taking Trazadone since I was about 18 years old. It is the only medication I've tried, that let's me sleep.

There's alot more info. on this, just type Trazadone under search.
  3. tgeewiz

tgeewiz Member

PVLady,

I'm not sure about trazodone, but I do know that l-carnitine is a recommended amino acid for CFS. It is one of the amino acids that help build energy in your cells.

Good resources for vitamins/herbs are:

iherb.com
    wholehealthmd.com

These sites will also list other items that may work for CFS. Hope this helps. Blessings!
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'm taking it for sleep. (doc said it doesn't work so well for depression but is very successful for sleep). It definitely helps me to have a deep sleep.

I have had some nausea from it. It also makes my dry eye problem worse. But I like the sleep.

I'm also going to look into Sonata and Lunesta. I was told that sonata is better than trazadone but I don't know yet.

Sofi
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I use Ambien for sleep. When I tried Trazodone I was wide awake, even with 100 mg. however, I did think it made me feel better mentally.

I have a tendency to feel depressed and cannot tolerate other anti-depressants. One thing about Trazodone, it can make your heart beat fast.

Anyway, I am trying it for depression.

6. ladude

ladude New Member

I do 25 mg Trazadone for sleep, experimented with higher and lower does and this seems to be the best. Also do 5 mg Ambien. They work best on a relatively empty stomach. But traz can upset the stomach so I suck on licorice root tablets and sometimes do some acidophilus before as well and a full glass of water.

20 min after taking them I lay down, and even if not feeling sleepy, I will go to sleep. I was waiting hours too long for them to work by being on the pc or watching TV.

I swear by Acetyl L Carnitine as opposed to just carnitine, it helps the brain more. This I do in the morning on an empty stomach and wait 45 min to an hour before eating. Best with juice and maybe B6. All aminos should be on an empty stomach, preferably 30 min or so in-between each of the different one.

I find if I take the acetyl L at night I wake up too early, it gives my energy before I've had a full nights sleep, so now just in the morning. Acetyl can be pricey so I get it form youngagian.com

Hope this helps
    LAdude

ps I noticed your are from SoCal. There is support group for CFS/Fibro in Marina del Rey the last sunday of the month at the SHARE center 5521 Glrosvenor Blvd 90066 310 305 8878

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  7. mum6

mum6 New Member

I take 150 mg of trazadone for sleep along with muscle relaxant and slept 7 to 8 hours almost everynight. It is worth a try. It has worked wonders for me
  8. ladybird1

ladybird1 New Member

doctor prescribed 50mg then upped to100 mg of Trazadone for sleep.
    When I need to get up a little early, I break a 100 mg in half so I only get 50 mg. Usually get 6 hours sleep. When I can lie down for whole 7 or 8 hours, take all 100 mg. I also have to take 500 mg Soma muscle relaxant every nite so my muscle don't get so hard and stiff.
    Been on them for 4 years.

Good luck to you.
  9. yesnettv

yesnettv New Member

More info please! I am fairly local, too. Can u please tell us what kind of meeting it is, what time, etc. what happens?
    Any info would be appreciated!
    Thanks!
  10. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I think we will need to call the phone number ladude posted. It is at the end of his message...

Let me know if you go to a meeting..
    Thanks
  11. ladude

ladude New Member

It is support group for CFS/Fibro that is a sharing meeting without speakers. We discuss what life is like with the illness and what we have done and are doing to get better.

It is free, and low key with a nice group of people, less than a dozen show each month, so it is not a large or impersonal and if you don’t’ want to share, that’s fine as well.

It starts a 6:00 PM on the last Sunday of every month. It goes until 7:30 or 8:00 pm. The SHARE building is non-profit center that offers support groups a place to meet. Once there ask someone which room for the CFIDS/Fibro group. Go down the hallway and make a right, SW side of the building.

Hope you and anyone in the area can make it one.

Again its at 5521 Grosvenor Blvd 90066 (Just a few block W of Centinela Ave) 310 305 8878

Hope this helps
    LAdude