Treadmills, manual or motor, which is BEST?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi everyone! Since there was a post earlier on treadmills, I was wondering which is better a manual or motor. I'm going to have to buy one soon because summer is ending and I can't walk in the parks after September, it gets too windy and cold, not a good thing for me. What's your opinion about the best affordable treadmill. Thanks, Hugs Chelz.
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I would go with a motor. Without one, it is just too easy to go too slowly to do yourself any real good.
    Klutzo
  3. simka

simka New Member

Definitely get a treadmill with a motor.

I think Consumer Reports did an article or two within the last couple of years discussing features, what to look for, and providing ratings. Getting a decent one isn't cheap but if I recall correctly there are some at the lower end that still came out well. You could check this at a library or I think do an online subscription that you can even do just for a month if you're trying to get info on a major purchase decision.
  4. KayL

KayL New Member

One with a motor.........you can adjust the speed and/or incline. I have one like that. My mom had a *manual* one and I hurt my back just trying to walk, period, on the darn thing. Mine has a calorie burner counter and fat burner counter on it and you can program stuff into it.

Karen
  5. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Thanks guys for your input. I knew I could count on you. I agree that a motor treadmill would be better, now, I have to dig up the money for it, LOL. Thanks again, Hugs always Chelz.
  6. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

From my own personal experience the manual makes you work harder. Electric just makes you pick up your feet and pull them forward a little bit and then put them down again. Manual makes you PUSH your weight and you will feel it in your thighs and buttocks. I get so wore out on the manual, but can walk forever on the electric, so that pretty much tells the whole story there.

Marilyn :)
  7. Jackie41

Jackie41 Member

I agree the motorized kind are the best, but there is a cheaper alternative. During bad weather I use the malls for walking. It's free. Of course if you don't have one handy, then you probably need the treadmill.

Jackie