Treating Chronic Fatigue Syndrome- Azithromycin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ulala, Mar 7, 2009.

1. ulala

ulala New Member

This was one Phoenix Rising's web site.

Azithromycin (Zithromax) Is an antibiotic with immunomodulatory factors used to treat mild to moderate infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia, sexually transmitted diseases and others. Azithromycin is effective against chlamydiae pneumoniae, mycoplasma pneumoniae, streptococcus pneumoniae and others. Appears to have antiviral properties as well. Amantadine's ability to cross the blood:brain barrier makes it a potentially important drug in fighting central nervous system infection.

Azithromycin May Work in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Because it may dampen down an overactive immune system and/or it may fight a bacterial infection or possibly a viral infection. Some chronic fatigue syndrome patients are reported to have chlamydiae and mycoplasma infections and some researchers believe undetected central nervous system infections play an important role in the disease.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Studies. One small study (10 patients) suggested that azithromycin’s effectiveness was strongly tied to levels of the amino acid acetylcarnitine; 77% of azithromymcin recipients with plasma acetylcarnitine levels lower than 4.1 uM improved, 58% with levels between 4.1 and 6.5 uM and 31% with levels higher than 3.1 uM. Improvement was assessed as being ‘out of the range of the previous fluctuations of symptoms’. The researchers suggested azithromycin’s efficacy was due either to its antibacterial effects or by reducing immune activity probably in the glial cells that protect the neurons in brain.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Doctors Report - Dr. DeMeirleir reported that both he and Dr. Nicholson have positive results with Azithromycin.

Side Effects: Azithroymycin (Zithromax) is generally well tolerated. Most side effects are gastrointestinal in nature and include nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. Serious allergic reactions and jaundice are rare but can occur.

The Phoenix Rising website is compiled by a layman. It is not a substitute for a
    physician and is for informational uses only. It does not present complete
    information on this drug. Please discuss any treatments
    in these pages with your doctor.

Vermeulen, R. and H. Sholte. 2006. Azithromycin in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS): an analysis of clinical data. Journal of Translational Medicine 4: 43.

[This Message was Edited on 03/07/2009]
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

doxycycline and flagyl are also used in mycoplasma and chlamidea pneumonia. I think doxy is used first and after a few months azithro is added and towards the end flagyl is then added.
    Others experience in this would be appreciated.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

If someone is shown to have the bacteria that could be helped with this, I might think it is worth trying, but in general antibiotics are overused and that causes a lot of other problems....and not everyone with CFS has the types of infections that this would treat....also many people with CFS already have imbalance of the good bacteria that our guts need....taking an antibiotic would further disrupt these and could exacerbate a lot of problems and/or create more....esp leaky gut related stuff like GI problems, poor nutritional absorption, etc......and a lot of antibiotics side effects can include CFS- like symptoms, like dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, etc I said, it may help a certain subset of people with CFS but I would be really cautious about most of us using this.....and if someone is going to try this, they should definitely be taking probiotics to counter the negative effects....also they are finding that things like collodial silver and tumeric have the ability to kill off a lot of the bad bacteria w/o harming the good they might be worth trying first (although they can cause herxing)
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I think the main problem with testing for these infections is that they are very unreliable. Some studies have shown that a high percentage of cfs people have these infections, if its a cause, a trigger or opportunistic thing know one knows. I have seen some sights recommending these treatments take into account of looking after the gut, ie regular probiotics, nystatin etc. I think if these things are taken into account , side effects can be minimised. There are alot of people who have taken these antibiotics for unrelated infections find there symptoms improve. It has happened to me when taking doxy and have also had good response to antivirals (possible reactivated ebv). I think our immune systems are had it and multiple infections are possible.
  5. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Zithromax did NOT work on me. I tried it two years ago because I had read a Dutch study that swore it was working on people. It didn't work on me. I took high doses of it from October of that year until January. All it did was give me severe uncontrollable diarrhea to the point where I couldn't leave the house. I had to stay in for all those months. And I ended up getting dehydrated badly. It took a month and a half on it for me to feel it doing anything. Then it started to work on the severe pain. All the horrible pain in my bones went away while I was on it. That pain that feels like the flesh on the bones hurts, it helped that. But as soon as I went off the Zithromax, within a month, the pain was back. I also got a Lupus rash on my face while taking Zithromax. And that was my lovely experience with that antibiotic. Wasn't worth it. I'd say it made me feel five percent better while I was on it. But it wasn't even a fraction of what was claimed in the Dutch study. And the diarrhea wasn't worth anything.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

6 months is the minimum quoted treatment time with 6 week cycles after that if symptoms restart. Maybe changing to doxy might have helped you avoid the diarrhoe. Sounds like you were getting some help. I found with the doxy i got less aches and pains. Eventually my improvement stopped, but looking at other protocols maybe i should have added other antibiotics as well as what im doing now and treating ebv.

Its all a trial and error thing and each of us have to weigh up continuing treatment.
  7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

its worth mentioning that abx have anti inflammatory properties and may not be working on an infection if they appear to help.

demeirleir holds a patent on using beta-lactam antibiotics for MS based on their anti inflammatory properties.

of course, some CFS patients do have bacterial infections....

8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I don't think it's all viral or bacterial. I think it's Microwave Oven Radiation Poisoning and I'm sticking to that. The radiation damages us internally. That lets the viruses and bacteria cross the blood brain barrier, then we become chronically ill. We are often too sick to cook a real meal, so we continue microwaving, which continues to radiation poison us and further damage our internal organs and immune system and the cycle goes on and on. All the packaging, the plastics and such that we microwave with our food creates toxins that were never meant to be in a human body. And microwaving food changes the food and water's molecular structure. I could go on and on about this. The reason no medical tests find anything wrong with us is because they aren't testing for what the microwave ovens and microwaved food packaging does to a human body.
  9. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

I am pretty sure Zithromax is not a beta lactam antibiotic...
  10. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

aros...whoops! thanks!

tea...i have severe CFS and never owned a microwave
  11. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

You don't have to own a microwave to get sick from one. All the restaurants and fast food places use them. The diners and restaurants use them to flash heat your food before you are served. All it takes is ONE exposure and your blood and digestive system are damaged permanently. The same goes for getting a hot drink out anywhere, if they used a microwave to heat the water. It changes the water's molecular structure and you are drinking radioactive water.