Treating pain without OTC meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Oct 6, 2006.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I'm sure I've probably seen topics about this before, but I didn't know what to search under, so I hope it's okay I made a new topic.

I have been having horrible back pain all day but I've had adverse reactions to ibuprofen, tylenol, and aleve. The heating pad worked for a while but now it's not as effective.

Is there anything else around the house I can do?

Thankies,
    Jen
  2. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Not sure if this is possible for you but, I lay flat on the ground....with knees bent and feet flat ..making sure there is no gap under the hips or lower back.Your back should be completly flat and straight as you can get it. Palms flat - arms at your sides. Make sense? This will allow the pressure to decrease. You can at the same time do some deep breathing and positive visualizion....sounds silly, I know. But, if your willing - you want to imagine really strongly that the pain is pouring out of your spine into the ground/floor. As you breathe you inhale healing energy and exhaleing pain/sickness. Of course if you have a kink in the back - getting on the floor may not happen for you...Just a suggestion. Sorry you are hurting. Stay postive and remember this too shall pass.
  3. Amslave

Amslave New Member

Is back pain part of yor FM? A hot bath can make a difference. But you really need you doctor. Back pain can take you over.
  4. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey FMsoldier, what you suggested for me to do sounds very similar to what they had me do in physical therapy for the same back pain, only standing against a wall. I tried it but my hip started hurting so I figured it wasn't the best thing to do right now, lol.

Amslave, I'm not really sure where the back pain comes in. I don't have it very often, it just seems to be this one section of muscles that likes to act up every now and then, usually at very inconvenient times. Unfortunately our bathtub seems to be unusually small, and my 5'3 self is too long to get my back in the water, even with my legs out some. I don't understand that tub...

It seems the pain has been coming and going all day, right now it seems to be subsiding *crosses fingers* It was really hard to get up this morning though because that's when it started hurting.