Treatment for mycoplasma pneumoniae

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LongStruggle, Aug 28, 2009.

1. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Has anyone received treatment for mycoplasma pneumoniae? If so, how was it done and who was your doctor?

Dr. Lerner wants me to have 6 weeks of intravenous therapy with multiple antibiotics. I'm unsure if I want to proceed since antibiotics greatly affect one's gut.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got sick waaaaay back in 1990 with an unidentified, to me by my doc, strain of mycoplasma. I got sicker than a dog and was put on ABX. Unfortunately, no one knew at that time that it can take six months on ABX to get it into a latent stage. Mycoplasmas, like Lyme, do not go away. They both can change form and lie latent in the body only to reactivate. The earlier one starts the ABX, the less time it usually takes to get things under control.

I had been sick 11 years before my doc and I decided to treat with Doxycycline. It took 2 1/2 years on the Doxy to drive it into latency. If you go to Dr. Garth Nicolson's website, Immed, there is a lot of info on mycoplasmas. He has dealt mainly with other strains which, he believes, are responsible for Gulf War Illness. Still, regardless of the strain, there is a lot of good info there.

I never had gut problems with the Doxy but I've taken probiotics for years. Just eating yogurt isn't enough. One has to take a quality product, like the ones here in the store. Good luck to you. BTW, given the nature of the mycoplasmas to go chronic and make one very ill, for me, it was easy to decide to treat the problem with ABX. I'm sooo glad I did. I suffered many Herxheimer reactions while on the ABX but I Herx hard and fast and it's soon over. Herxing means the ABX are causing massive dieoff of the pathogens.

Love, Mikie
  3. MIssAutumn

MIssAutumn New Member

I treated the gut first and was able to get rid of the mycoplasma pneumoniae along with a host of other viruses and infections. Still working on the chronic Lyme and EBV, though. I would run out the doctors office in a heart beat if he ever suggested antibiotics to me, that's what gets most of us in trouble.
    I went on a low carb diet- no sugar, absolutely none, gluten free diet, or grains for 2 weeks and no dairy. I still cannot tolerate gluten or sugar or diary after 6 months. I took supplements to help the intestinal infections, a good probiotic and digestive help. I tested no hydrochloric acid and after doing Gnomic testing have found the liver is not functioning properly, I'm lacking lots of cytochrome's and enzymes from both sides of the family. Which explains why I would get worse when trying any treatment and why the rest of the body's systems do not function correctly. If you want I can give you the exact treatment and supplements I took.
  4. chrissy12

chrissy12 New Member

I was exactly where you are a year ago. I am a patient of Dr. Lerner's with high mycoplasma. I left my house Sept. 8th to live in MI for 6 weeks for IV therapy. He would not let me do it in my hometown.

I started with doxycycline 3 times a day. I was detoxing pretty well and felt ill that he didn't start the 2nd one, azithromycin. I was on doxy for 5 weeks before he finally started the azith. Honestly, I adjusted to the doxy and was doing fine on it. My gut held its own. He started the azithromycin the last 10 days and that was a killer. I struggled with it until the end. Luckily, it was only the last week where my gut hurt. If you do it, I would just keep telling him you're having lots of detox and couldn't take the 2nd one. I think I could handle 6 weeks of doxy.

I have moved from a 2 to a 4 on his scale in the last year. I am definitely feeling better than last summer. I still have a ways to go, but it seems like I am moving slowly, but surely.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. I agree with Mikie, the doxycycline does help mycoplasma. I have been on it for at least 2 years..
  5. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

Miss A- I am very interested in the program you used to heal the gut. There are so many ways of going about it and so many tests. I believe it is vital to the healing of the immune system and getting rid of all of the other pathogens.

I too have Mycoplasmas, as well has HHV6 and that family of virus'. A LLMD said I have Lyme. I have done oral antibiotics in the last year and tried to to do anti virals. Call it a herx, but I got the sickest I have EVER been. Im off of all drugs now for 6 months and just now slowly crawling out of hell. I am back to alternative. Maybe some of us just cant handle the antibiotics and anti virals????

I will say though, that I know a woman who did oral antibiotics for for Mycoplasma and is very healthy now. She supported her body with alternative and a very healthy diet though too.

No easy answers I guess...

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If there is too large a dieoff of bacteria, the body can experience something akin to toxic shock syndrome. In that case, one needs to slow down on the ABX. It may take a little trial and error in the beginning. AV's can make one feel sicker before one feels better too.

After six months on the Doxy, the protocol calls for trying to stay off of them for two weeks and then go back on them for six. One repeats this cycling of meds until one can stay off of them completely. If symptoms reappear during the two weeks, one goes back on them and tries again after another six weeks.

Chronic infections can produce excess fibrin in the bloodstream. The fibrin traps platelets and pathoges can hide from the immune system in these fibrin/platelet blobs. It's a form of hypercoagulation. Paradoxically, one can hemmorhage because the trapped platelets cannot get to wound sites. The HEMEX Labs website has a lot of info on this. I took Heparin injections and the Herxing was terribly difficult as the fibrin was dissolved and the pathogens exposed to the immune system. Heparin is no longer available and Lovenox is too expensive. I now use an enzyme to help dissolve the fibrin. It's cheaper and supposed to be more effective.

There is another alternative to ABX and AV's--transfer factors. Some are sold here at the store. They are very potent treatments without many of the side effects and risks of meds. Unfortunately, they can cause severe Herxing and one has to go slowly on them.

Love, Mikie
  7. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Reading all of your comments has helped me to feel more secure about Dr. Lerner's agenda. Although it would be helpful for more of you to repond -- the more, the better. Anybody been put on the antibiotics and signifantly worsen, would also be helpful.

I have significantly improved this past year since I have been taking a very powerful probiotic. For those of you who are interested, the probiotic is called VSL#3. It contains 450 billion active cultures of a variety of good bacteria. I've been taking 4-8 packets a day. This has radically improved my symptoms. Initially, I did have a severe die off reaction, but I persisted and got past that point. Now I feel better. So, here I am having been improving my gut flora for over a year and Dr. Lerner wants to give me IV antibiotics. I don't want to undo what I have achieved. However, with your helpful comments, I feel better about the protocol, plus I can continue to take my VSL#3 as I have been or even more.

Thank you all for your replys.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2009]
  8. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Mikie, what is ABX? Is that an antibiotic? The doxycyline and ABX, were they IV or oral?
  9. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Unfortunately, I was just recently retested for mycoplasma pneumoniae and it came out quite high. Thus, even my improved gut did not make the mycoplasma disappear.

I also take digestive enzymes and they appear to help too. I take one that doesn't have protease because protease irritates my stomach immensely. I have lots of problems with stomach pain -- probably caused by my various meds. Currently, however, I have that undercontrol with prilosec and zantac.

I too have been on the anti-candida diet for several years, but, I must admit, that I haven't followed it recently. It gets so old after awhile. I should, at least, eliminate high sugar foods as they are the worst for candida. But, with the VSL#3, I appear to be able to handle more sugar and I don't get so sick when I eat it.
  10. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Thanks for your input. Fortunately, I was able to convince Dr. Lerner for me to have the treatment in Huntington, WV where I currently live. After I explained that there are several hospitals in the area and they are associated with Marshall University medical school, he relented. What makes it possible is that I do have a local doctor here who is very cooperative and thus far willing to do whatever I have asked. Dr. Lerner has submitted his protocol, but he wants my local doctor to be in charge. I'm not sure what this means if I'm having severe die off reactions -- will he be available for a consult?

Did Dr. Lerner retest you for mycoplasma after your treatment? As far as that goes, have any of you been retested for mycoplasma after your treatments?
  11. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I too have mycoplasma pneumoniae and HHV-6. I have not tested positive for EBV or CMT. I too got very sick when I started taking anti-virals. I only recently started seeing Dr. Lerner due to financial reasons. I had been seeing Dr. Guyer, who is very expensive. When Dr. Guyer first started me on acyclovir, I became ill, but adjusted. When he wanted to switch it to famvir, I became very ill. He told me that the dosage of the famvir was 500 mg. 2xs per day. He told me to start with a 1/4 of one pill. I couldn't even handle that. I became very ill. Now I'm taking 500 mg. at night, but I haven't been bold enough to take it during the day.

I also take anti-fungals. I don't believe any of you talked about that. Dr. Guyer initially put me on diflucan. Just like the anti-virals, I became very fatigued and ill and could not handle it. I could handle a 1/4 of a pill periodically. Later he switched me to nystatin and I did well. Recently, I started back on the diflucan with no apparant problems.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/29/2009]
  12. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

I have forgotten to take my Transfer Factor. I got out of the habit when my stomach started rebelling with all the various meds I was consuming. I was on so much stuff that it was difficult to have enough room in my stomach to eat anything. Currently I have significantly reduced what I take, but I am coming aware that there are certain supplements that I can't go without i.e. Magnesium, D-Ribose, supplements to support the adrenals, and possibly Transfer Factor.
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, ABX stands for antibiotics. My Doxy was oral, no IV's. Dr. Nicholson recommends Doxy as the first choice for mycoplasmas, with Azithromycin second. Now, there is Minocin. Cipro is also effective but I don't recommend it. I am allergic to it. It seems to have one nasty side effect in that it can destroy tendons.

Love, Mikie
  14. LongStruggle

LongStruggle Guest

Thanks for the info.
  15. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

Hi from D a vid in Orlando area. Have same list of ailments.. Have been on trtmt plans with a few practitioners for awhile... would like to share my experience. Local Dr.'s ok ... looking for more good info.
    If you want to make contact kindly let me know. Been on this board since 05.
  16. ruti

ruti Member

I had a mild mycoplasma infectin and I was treated by an
    alternative doctor with oxigen - short periods like 15 minutes at a time
    (maybe longer I am not sure)
    It really helped

How did you get a diagnosis for that?

17. ruti

ruti Member

How can you test for the acidity of the gut?

18. m1she11e

m1she11e New Member

I would be very interested in sharing info with you.

My email is in my profile.
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Mycoplasmas, and a lot of other pathogens, thrive in a low-oxygen environment. Oxygen treatment should help. I believe one of the reasons we get excess fibrin in our blood from infections is because it reduces the oxygen in our bloodstreams. Pathogens are smart. They will adapt to their environment and/or cause their environment to adjust to them.

Love, Mikie
  20. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

e-mailed wed. night.. D ave