Treatment for Vertigo with NO MEDS???? Is this for Real?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ang1973, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ang1973

ang1973 New Member

My Neuro wants to try a treatment for my Vertigo without medication. Well fantastic if in fact its realistic. He said I will not be able to turn my head from side to side or up and down for 10 days. That requires me to sleep sitting up and no driving. Gee this should be fun. How am I supposed to work and take care of my children while doing this? I have a 3 yr old daughter who keeps me moving.
    Does anyone know anything about this treatment and wether it works? Please let me know. I'm do in for my 3rd appt today and will probably have to make a decision.

Ang1973
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

I just put a post out to you on the main page also.

Yes it works. My girlfriend had vertigo and she had it done. The first time, it lasted for a few months, then she got dizzy again.

Its called the Eppley or Epley maneuver.

She had it done again, and she's been fine ever since.

It's worth a try to get rid of that terrible dizziness.

Hope this helps and read the other post I left ya.

Take Care,
    Kendra
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2006]
  3. Braingonebad

Braingonebad New Member

For some people, there are little thingies - deposits - on parts of the aditory system. and on my ms board, a few people have had a dr manuever them around in a special chair-type thing and cure them.

(If I only had a brain I could dig up one of those threads and give the technical terms, and tell this better)

Vertigo has many causes. and your doc seems to be trying the least invasive procedure first. I don't have little kids - mine are 21 and 16 - and no job, but even so where I live you HAVE to drive. There is NO public transport out here in the corn fields!

His method would not be an option for me either, and I'd have said as much....and he might want to look for other health issues causing this.

You can go to any pharm and get something for sea sickness - over-the-counter, no prescriptin needed. See if one of those helps.

I had evoked potentials and EEG (testing for ms) which didn't give any clue why I have vertigo - almost a full year now. Ears check out fine, hearing fine, etc.

I don't take meds although I probably should. It is moderate, but doesn't make me sick or interfere w/driving - just makes it scary on stairs.

Good luck.

4. KelB

KelB New Member

They tried this for me when I had vertigo. It didn't work (there are several different causes of vertigo) but I understand that for some people, it can be an almost instant cure. It doesn't hurt at all and I'd strongly advise trying it.

You need to remain upright for a while afterwards. The idea is that you're dizzy, because particles have settled in the wrong place in your inner ear. The repositioning of your head shifts them back to where they should be. However, because they're suspended in fluid, they can move back to where they started if you lie down. You need to stay upright for a while to let them settle properly. It's a pain while you're trying to live real life, but it's vital for the process to work.

If you Google "Epley vertigo" you should find some good sites that explain it in full.

My own vertigo didn't respond to any treatment or meds, but cleared up of its own accord after about three months. Taking seasickness pills helped greatly with the nausea, but they really just supress the symptoms - they don't cure the vertigo. If it's the type that they just plan to leave and let it recover by itself, then taking seasickness meds can prolong it - but they're a lifesaver when you have something to get on with.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2006]
  5. ang1973

ang1973 New Member

I will try that. We'll see what happens today. Alot of good thoughts from everyone today. Thanks and God Bless. Will let you know what happens.
  6. ang1973

ang1973 New Member

Thank you. I'll check out your post on the main page and will let you know what happens. I see the Neuro today so we'll see what he says. God Bless. And I really do appreciate your input.
  7. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

If you do a Google search for Timothy Hain, M.D. and dizziness or vertigo he has one of the best Web sites for info about vertigo. He is one of the top neurologist in the country that treat dizzy people and he's in Chicago. His web site covers just about every possible cause of dizziness.

I've had problems with vertigo and dizziness for over a year now. Mine is caused by migraines and Topamax helps control it so it's more manageable now. The other vitamins and supplements I've recently started on have hepled too.

I was wishing mine could be so easily treated with the Epley, but I wasn't so lucky. Do your own research and if you don't see results keep searching for the answers.

There is also the Vestibular Disorders Association (VEDA) that has a lot of info on vertigo and a resource list of doctors who specialize in treating dizziness and vertigo if you don't get satisfaction from your current doctor.

Hope it gets better for you soon.

Jeanette
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

If the vertigo is caused by the nerve, rather than deposits, this maneuvre won't work and will make you feel worse. There is atest they can do to see which it is first and your Doc should do the test FIRST. He can either put cold drops in your ear and see if it causes the vertigo, or turn your head sharply and there is another test too, I forget which. If the vertigo is caused by a virus or nerve, the best thing is 2mg of valium to calm the nerve (3 x a day). One can also do another maneuvre oneself up to three times a day that involves rocking over to the side and your doc should know about this, after two weeks of doing this twice a day the calcium deposits shift back and this does not involve sitting upright, which my brother did and only had to sit upright after for 4 hrs by the way. Good luck vertigo is awful I had it 5mths recently, but after a week went on the 2mg valium which lowered it to dizzy spacey feeling instead. Cromwell
  9. GBHope

GBHope New Member

Ever since I got this disease, I have struggled with this vertigo. Sometimes it is vaguely there and other times it is really bad. When I first got it, I woke up the room was spinning. I usually am dizzy and off-balance even to small extent everyday, but do go through spells where it is really bad. It is also affected by my sinuses being blocked up or my sinuses blocking up my eustachian tube. Not fun. I get sick of feeling that way.

GBHope
  10. sabimax

sabimax New Member

i know you from the MS board dont I hehehehe...

well my vertigo has subsided some...I do have antivert meds for it if it occurs..and like brain...mine has no reason as of yet...but heard to that regular dramamine works for some...never heard of that no med way....dont think it would be easy to do with kids...I have four kids...no way would i be able to hehee..take care and good luck..sarah