trembling on inside... fight or flight?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Jan 30, 2009.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

hopefully i can explain this right for everyone, and get some feedback.

i've been through a stage of this earlier when my FM kicked into full gear, and unfortunately it's back.

lately i've been having these feelings like my insides, like everything under my skin, is vibrating. it comes on sporadically during the day, and most annoyingly, when i'm trying to sleep.

i'll fall asleep for a few minutes, only to "flash" awake. my eyes will be wide, my heart is beating faster, and i have a feeling of being really on edge, very agitated. when my heart slows down a bit, i get this wave of heat, and will just a big coat of sweat on me.

this happens several times during the night.

it also happens intermittently during the day. my heart starts beating fast out of nowhere (i could be lying down, standing up... doesn't matter). then the "hot flash".

i just feel like my body is on high alert.

it's not panic attacks. i know what those are like, and know it's definately not that.

i'm going to the doctor Monday, and would like to figure something out to help with this, as my sleep is highly interrupted (more than usual), thus my pain levels are up.

i was thinking that possible a benzo (valium, colonpin) may help for awhile til this symptom passes (hopefully soon).

i was also thinking it may help with the severe muscle tightness i'm experiencing. the flexeril is just not helping.

does anyone understand what i'm trying to explain? does it sound like something else? or just an FM symptom?

any ideas on meds to help for a little while?

thanks for any input, it's very much appreciated.
  2. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

This could be so many different things it is hard to tell without seeing your Dr.
    Could be FM, I see you had a hysterectomy, could be menopause, your medication, anxiety,sleep apnea, just to name a few. Best thing to do is see your Dr.
    I have had this also. I have all the things I have listed, it went away after being treated for sleep apnea, but it still raises it's ugly head now and then. My hormones have been way out of wack since having my hysterectomy. Hopes this helps and good luck to you. Let us know what you find out. Hugs, Robin
  3. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

and thanks for the ideas of what it could be.

i'm definately gonna bring this up to her on Monday, it's one of my most bothersome symptoms right now, besides the pain.

i wonder if it is hormones? i went on HRT for a little while after my surgery, because the mood swings and hotflashes were driving me crazy, but eventually went off of it, after a doctor told me if i felt alright off the HRT, it would be better for me.

i may see about a sleep study. i know i don't get the 4th stage of sleep, and havn't since getting FM, but maybe something else is going on.

this illness is so frustrating!

thanks again for answering my post.<3
  4. star273

star273 New Member

Vibrating inside. Its weird isnt it?? I take a xanax when I have those and it helps me sleep.... I dont know what they are, but I get them all over.. I guess it could be anxiety too, but I have had panic attacks before and this isnt it.. I dont get scared and want to run.. its just a little annoying. I think it has to do with the nerve issue that FM people have... Who knows, but I think the xanax helps me and also helps the muscle tightness. I only take 1/4 of a xanax when I need too. its not like its some big amount and it still helps...
    Good luck...
  5. roxesma

roxesma New Member

I have that vibrating inside my body also. Have had for several years. Drs. Have run test after test to no avail. I think it is just the Fibro and our nerves inside our body reacting to something,but what. have no idea. Also have the sudden heat and sweating episodes for no apparent reason. Was on HRT for 3 yrs and went off 6 months ago. Nothing changed.I have noticed that sometimes it is brought on by feeling hurried to get ready to go out to grocery etc or doing any type of physical activity. Even doing dishes. My best guess is it caused from a reaction to the pain we all suffer from. It is a terrible thing to have to live with and am sorry you have to endure it.
    Watch your blood sugar.If you eat or drink something sweet or drink regular pop it will raise your sugar causing wht they call a crash. Usually takes an hour or so for me and then the heat nd sweating begin. Even when I am just sitting in my recliner watching tv.If I watch what I eat and drink,like plenty of protein and cut out the sugar itdoesn't happen as often. The vibrating tho never goes away.
    I look forward to more responses and suggestions on this issue. Thanx,roxesma
  6. roxesma

roxesma New Member

I have that vibrating inside my body also. Have had for several years. Drs. Have run test after test to no avail. I think it is just the Fibro and our nerves inside our body reacting to something,but what. have no idea. Also have the sudden heat and sweating episodes for no apparent reason. Was on HRT for 3 yrs and went off 6 months ago. Nothing changed.I have noticed that sometimes it is brought on by feeling hurried to get ready to go out to grocery etc or doing any type of physical activity. Even doing dishes. My best guess is it caused from a reaction to the pain we all suffer from. It is a terrible thing to have to live with and am sorry you have to endure it.
    Watch your blood sugar.If you eat or drink something sweet or drink regular pop it will raise your sugar causing wht they call a crash. Usually takes an hour or so for me and then the heat nd sweating begin. Even when I am just sitting in my recliner watching tv.If I watch what I eat and drink,like plenty of protein and cut out the sugar itdoesn't happen as often. The vibrating tho never goes away.
    I look forward to more responses and suggestions on this issue. Thanx,roxesma
  7. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

When I first became dx'd in the late '80's, early '90's, this was one of my symptoms. Yes, esp. at the end of the day when I would try to relax.

It must be a CNS thing. That symptom has calmed down, yet, when waking up in the morning, I feel and hear energy flowing through me.

After awhile, it just becomes a part of you. Maybe, that's why a lot of us feel so fatigued, all this useless energy flowing out of us......? (Just a thought)

When I first became ill with the mono onset, my legs would be jerking off of the bed at night with tremors. The doctor at that time said it was because my "defenses" were down when I would try to relax. I also use to grip my hands so tight during sleep back then, I would have cuts on the palms of my hands.

Now, my main symptom is pain...
  8. toddm

toddm New Member

OMG.....it's so nice to know I'm not crazy. This has been one of the worst symptoms I get when I flair. It wipes me out, when it starts no matter where I am i have to lay down. I can't walk or move very well. I've been dxd with CFS but it seems this is one of those symptoms that crosses over FM as well.

I'm not new to this site, but am new to the message board. It's very good to read how many others are feeling the same things I have been. Look forward to reading more......
  9. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

it is a relief to know you can relate to others. this board has been a Godsend for me. when i first came down with FM, one of the biggest challenges (besides the symptoms) was feeling alone, like no one understood what i was going through. coming here let me know i wasn't alone.

well, i went to the doctor, and explained what was going on. she put a 24 hr holter moniter on me, to see if anything showed up on. we'll see what the results are.

i feel so blessed to have found her. she understands FM, and doesn't make me feel bad for having it.

i'll keep you all posted on what the test shows.
  10. MimiMLR

MimiMLR New Member

Mine is when I go to bed. Not always however. It felt like my bed was crawling on my legs? I thought Oh No? I bought a New Bed with "Bed Bugs"!! Nope no bed bugs. I have looked? lol I stared at my skin and didn't see anything but I sure felt it. Another off and on deal. I do take xanax when I have that. I've been on that Body in high Alert feeling jittery for about 3 weeks too! I was DX in 1995 so a lot I mean a lot of symptoms I don't even notice anymore.
  11. ulala

ulala New Member

think it may have to do with food allergies. I haven't had any vibrations for quite some time. I have cut a lot fo things out of my diet, sugar, cheese, processed food, cooked tomato sauce.

Last night I broke down and had an Amy's frozen enchilada and a frozen macaroni and cheese. I don't remember how long after I ate, but the vibrations started. I also get the fast heart beats. For me it's food allergy or sensitivity. It can also come from blood from the extremities rushing to the stomach to digest food which causes the blood pressure to drop, making the heart beat faster. Just my experiences.
  12. toddm1960

toddm1960 New Member

Terch you may want to have your neuro look into dysautonomia, since I posted on this thread last I have had tilt table test and been dx with POTS. Being a 48 year old male I don't fit the same hormonal model as you.........lol, but I do have a lot of those same symptoms. I hope you start feeling better soon, and keep us updated on what you find out.
  13. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

you are right Todd, that is exactly what my doctor brought up. the symptoms match completely.

terch... your discription of how when you lie down to sleep, then jerk awake a few times before you actually fall asleep is *exactly* what i go through!

lately, too, i've been having these episodes where i'll start feeling a little woozy, then i'll start seeing wavy lines all around my peripheal (sp?) vision (like i'm underwater), and also having alot of pressure in the back of my head.

i explained all of this to my doctor, and she explained it as the blood pooling (i believe she said in my lower body?), to where my brain has a lack of blood flowing through it, causing all of these symptoms.

if you look up dysautonomia, you will see that all of these symptoms fit it to a "T". it explains some of how our sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system are all out of whack. when most people get a shot of adreneline in response to a stressful situation, ours seem to come out of nowhere. (my theory is, we get a stress response from something "stressful" going on *inside* our bodies, just my idea on what is happening.)

she told me to prevent these episodes, i should never get up from a sitting or lying position too quickly, especially when i am lying down. i should move my legs and feet around, then sit on the edge of the bed, and wiggle my toes, and feet, and get up slowly.

sorry if my post is scattered. i really have been having a hard time with sleep lately, and it's affecting my brain! lol.

sorry anyone else has to go through all of this, it's a crazy thing!

my best to all of you.<3
  14. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i also was dx with pots and prescribed a beta blocker. it really seems to help with the jumpy and racy heart.
  15. debbym

debbym New Member

I'm having this right now. It could be fibro, hormone imbalance, anything else come to mind?
    The problem is we have so many different symptoms that its hard to know why or what this is. I think mine might be because I ran out of my cymbalta. Its hard on our doctors to figure it out too. Mine seems to be like an adrenalin rush. I drop a peice of paper and this feeling of panic or the adrenalin rush runs through me and I have to laugh because that paper will survive the fall. Thank God it does go away .
    Hope yours is temperary. Sorry about the spelling, the fibro fog is bad today or as I like to say to my friends & family "I'm having a Lucy Day"
    Take care
    Deb