Tremors in Hand

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rileyearl, Sep 7, 2005.

1. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

I have FMS and CFC and on and on.

For the past few weeks I've been having tremors in my left thumb and sometimes the whole hand. It happens when I'm trying to use my thumb (like to push the button on the remote or hold something between my thumb and forefinger.) It shakes so badly that I can't complete whatever little task I'm trying to do. I'm afraid it might be from some medication I'm taking--Cymbalta, Wellbutrin, Mirapex, Benicar, Hydrocodone.

Does anyone else have this trouble? I'd just as soon not add Parkinson's to my list of complaints.

Thanks in advance!

Francie
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Tremors dosesn't necessarily mean Parkinsons Disease, and can be medication induced. My neurologist said that if it was medication induced it would usually begin after taking the first few doses.

I also have this problem. I first noticed it almost 2 years ago. I have lots of muscle twitches and small jerks. Sometimes not bad at all. Usually they are worse when I feel the worst, if I am tired or in a lot of pain. Those spontaneous movements are a movement disordor called myoclonus.

It could also be what is called an essential tremor. Yep, I have that too! Mine is worst when I am drinking or holding a fork or spoon. I never order soup in a restaurant! :) I've had it for 10 years. It is harmless, and is often heriditary.

I saw a neurologist both times the symptoms presented. They tested for things like Parkinsons, tumors, etc.
    There is medication to help. I don't take any yet.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2005]
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Yep, I've been to the neurologist, too, had every test in the book (MRIs, spinal tap, etc.) plus tested for MS, Parkinson's, etc.---everything negative.

Twitches of all kinds are very common with FM, it's as if our central nervous systems have an electrical "short" in them. With me, it tends to be my big toe---it moves all on its own, it looks & feels extremely weird...my family thinks I could be a circus act. It will do this for a period of days, then be silent for weeks, then start up again.

I don't take any regular meds, so it's not that for me. But it has been present since FM, in fact I had these neuro symptoms (tremors, twitches, tingling) before any pain started.

Another thing to check, since you mention thumb...carpal tunnel. I have both carpal tunnel (affecting thumb & forefinger) AND cubital tunnel (affecting pinky & ring finger), and pain is NOT always the first symptom---tingling, numbness & twitching can be. So you might want your doctor to test for that and at least rule it out.

See a good neurologist, if you can, to put your mind at ease, they will test for Parkinson's, etc. so that you can (hopefully) rule that out. And they will know if your meds, or some combination of that is causing this. But it could just be one of the quirks of FM, a lot of us suffer from these mostly neurological symptoms.

Hope this helps,
    Pam
  4. kbo

kbo New Member

I have this too. My hands have had a slight tremor since the onset of my FM. But on bad days they shake a lot, other times only I notice. But I do not take an medications at all. And my thumbs and forefinger twitch off an on all the time. It is really a weird, scary symptom. My doctor just shrugs his shoulders when I tell him. From reading all the replies to this..its reassuring that its probably a FM symptom.